Betting the small blinds?

I played in a game last night and was very reluctant to not call hands where I was betting the small blinds. I always went in, pretty much with whatever I had before the flop. I think it worked pretty well. Im looking for OG opinions for, or against betting the small blinds as a rule. Thanks in advance....

If there hasn't been any raises, I'll almost always call the big blind when I'm the small blind. There's no reason not to, the money you've put in for the blind is already gone so you only have to put in another half a small bet to see a flop (assuming the BB doesn't raise), so chances are you're getting the odds to play just about any two cards. However, if there has been a raise and/or a re-raise before it gets around to me, I have to have a good hand before I'll call because otherwise I'm overly defending my blinds with sub-par cards and I'll be playing the hand out of possition, so there's too much going against me for me to call simply because I already have half a small bet in there. But like I said, if people have only called and nobody has raised, I'll pretty much toss another half a small bet in there to see the flop. If everyone has folded and it's just me and the big blind, depending on who's in the BB and how they've been playing, I'll loosen my starting hand requirements and come in for a raise to try and steel the BB right there. It doesn't always work which is why you have to watch out for who the BB is and how they've been playing.

But that's just me and I haven't been playing that long

The problem with being the small blind is that after the flop you are in the worst position for the last 3 betting rounds.

I don't defend my blinds unless I'm in the later stages of a tourney and the chips are significant.

Challenge your thinking on the blinds. Let's say you're playing $1/$2 with 10 players in the room. Look at the blinds as if they were antes to play each hand. In other words $1/$2 is really $.30 a hand over 10 hands. If your hand is one that you wouldn't play on the button, there is really no reason to play it in the small blind. If everyone folds and your the small blind, the big blind will read that your stealing (after a while anyway). If you like to steal blinds, do it when you are on the button and everyone else has folded. It appears that you actually have a hand. In fact any hand you would actually call with on the button, raise with it instead if everyone else has folded.

Sicko- I reread your post.

"There's no reason not to, the money you've put in for the blind is already gone so you only have to put in another half a small bet to see a flop (assuming the BB doesn't raise), so chances are you're getting the odds to play just about any two cards."

I see what you're saying about playing any 2 cards. You have to understand pot odds. If you are kinda loose in late position and want to play hands like 5-7 suited, you need pot odds to justify playing those cards. 5-7 suited will lose Alot, if you are going to put any chips in the pot, you want to have at least 4 other players in the hand, and only having to call 1 bet (no raises). That way when the hand wins it pays you. In other words, you're putting your chips in when you can get 4 bets to your 1. You don't want to get 1 to 1 on your money when your hand is a big underdog.

I don't know if this makes sense lol. Let's say the new england patriots where going to play the local college football team. You would have to give me 1000 to 1 odds to get my bet on the college team, as I know they will be a loser 999 times out of 1000. The same theory applies to playing suited connectors and any other weak hand. You need the odds to call, the more players the better.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, I went off a bit.

Not a rant, bsk. A good post. Thanks.

The problem I have with playing from the small blind is usually getting cards like 7-2 offsuit. Who ever wants this crap. But, of course with my luck, I'll fold and 7-7-2 comes on the flop.

double post

the problem with these discussions I never hear anything about how you feel the opponent is, do you have good skills reading your opponent? If so that changes everything.

Irreguardless your defending your blind way too much. To play 100 % is ridiculous. Save some of your $ and invest in good hands.