Beware This Clever Tax Scam . . .

There’s a new tax scam that’s going on and it’s pretty damn slick. 

The old scam if they call you up out of the blue and claim you owe back taxes and they’re starting legal proceedings against you or may even say they’re sending law enforcement to your home so you need to pay up. 

The new scam is MUCH more sophisticated. They get your personal info and file taxes in your name and have an actual tax refund sent to your bank. THEN they call you pretending to be the IRS and say you mistakenly received the wrong refund so you must return the money. When you check your bank account, lo and behold, you see a legit deposit from the IRS. You actually have the money. 

Now, for most people that aren’t OGers, they will feel bad and the bad guys are counting on their natural honesty, so they think the whole thing is legit and ‘pay back’ the money. 

However, even if you get a mistaken refund from the IRS, they will never contact you by phone, nor will they ask for credit card or bank info for payment. 

Details here:

https://www.wired.com/story/tax-scam-deposit-money-identity-theft/

dmercer -

I've gotten a message like this from someone with broken English. Knew it was a scam. They always mail you something if it were real and never call. They use a fake number that makes it seem like it is from the u.s. but it's out of the country

Reading is fundamental. Your scam is old. This one is new. 

I believe I have encountered this exact situation lol

HurtFeelings - I believe I have encountered this exact situation lol

They actually put money in your account??

dmercer -
pfsjkd -
dmercer -

I've gotten a message like this from someone with broken English. Knew it was a scam. They always mail you something if it were real and never call. They use a fake number that makes it seem like it is from the u.s. but it's out of the country

Reading is fundamental. Your scam is old. This one is new. 

I thought you' d realize I meant the old part since I described the old part

The subject of my thread isn’t the old part. It’s the new part. For someone who claims to really be an old pro you’re not too clear on how this works. 

pfsjkd -

Somebody did

HurtFeelings -
pfsjkd -

Somebody did

Holy shit. What did you do? 

pfsjkd -
HurtFeelings -
pfsjkd -

Somebody did

Nothing. It's my money now.

HurtFeelings -
pfsjkd -
HurtFeelings -
pfsjkd -

Somebody did

Ha. Proves my point that the scam wouldn’t work on OGers. 

pfsjkd -
HurtFeelings -
pfsjkd -
HurtFeelings -
pfsjkd -

Somebody did

Ha. Proves my point that the scam wouldn’t work on OGers. 

Pretty much lol. Still a little concerning that someone has enough of my info to do that.

Wow. So they have your SS # and your bank info? Seems like you have bigger problems than a false refund. 

bakobell -

Wow. So they have your SS # and your bank info? Seems like you have bigger problems than a false refund. 

Yeah sounds awesome.

Similar scam happened to me - a Nigerian Prince wired $3 million into my account before I could help him out with the $2,000 transfer fee.

So they file your taxes legit for you so that you can get your actual refund direct deposited and you don't actually have to pay them? Do you have their number so I can contact them?

“ clever”

What the hell other type of information are they hoping to get if they can already do this?

Not sure if this is happening outside of Australia but there is a scam at the moment where people are told by the tax office that they owe money but to get the amount owed in iTunes vouchers and pay that way!! 

One of the best ways to avoid any tax scams is to file your taxes as fast as possible and do not even give hackers/scammers the chance to do anything in your name. Also get a credit freeze on the 4 credit bureaus.

kosmo777 -

Not sure if this is happening outside of Australia but there is a scam at the moment where people are told by the tax office that they owe money but to get the amount owed in iTunes vouchers and pay that way!! 

In America its Target

This story isnt adding up.

1) if they file taxes in your name, wouldnt you wonder how money entered your account without ever filing?

2) if they have your bank info and SS, you’re pretty much fucked either way. 

3) this is why I dont even link my bank to my taxes, ask for a check everytime.