"Biased commentary" argument

It kinda makes me laugh a little.

Do the 15,000 + fans at the live event who boo'd the decision also suffer from the influence of the biased commentary?

People on the forum here who were at ringside said they scored the fight 48-47 Machida.

All of press row, the pro fighters in attendance and Dana White were all heavily influenced by Joe's commentary.

ttt

A lot of people on this site claim "biased commentary" after every event lately and it never has much basis in reality or a good explanation (why would Joe Rogan be biased for Shogun?). Even if the commentary has been somewhat biased, its always been accidental IMO, not intentional or with underlying motivation, no big deal.

I don't think the majority of the morans here are trying to say the commentary affected the decision, but the commentary was biased

It's just a terrible and insulting argument. It doesn't account for the press row scores, of which I havn't seen one in favour of Machida, the live audience or notable figures like White and the pro fighters that were there live.

Live audience aside, I find it astounding that a few people can actually come on here and imply that 80%+ of the UG, including many pro fighters and seasoned observers, couldn't decide for themselves who won the fight and were mesmerised by Rogan's commentary.

Josh Gross at SI.com mentioned it too:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/josh_gross/10/26/ufc.104.dream.12.thoughts/index.html

No way I'd want to score that fight. I think it's once again highlight the fact the MMA scoring needs to be overhauled to achieve consistency - more so after reading Cecil's explanations :S

I'm a huge Joe Rogan fan, but it did kinda sound like every second word was Shogun. Not that it'll change scorecards - just meant the guy in the room that hasn't seen much MMA is shocked when Lyoto wins.

Then again, so was the entire Staples center, so who knows.

Rematch time.

drdr - A lot of people on this site claim "biased commentary" after every event lately and it never has much basis in reality or a good explanation (why would Joe Rogan be biased for Shogun?). Even if the commentary has been somewhat biased, its always been accidental IMO, not intentional or with underlying motivation, no big deal.

Cause Rogan is a fan? He has opinions like everyone else and it's his job to air them out? Maybe he isn't a fan of Machida's hit and run style of fighting? I agree though, that it is intentional. Just calling what he likes. I think once it gets rolling it's hard to turn it off, too.

I heard Joe Rogan's commentary 30 rows back and it did influence me. I told others Rogan was saying Rua was winning and so we all started chanting Shogun and then initiated the booing once he was robbed.