Big guy strategies

I was talking to another training partner the other day about the difference in games between big guys and small guys. He told me that some small guys complain about guys being too big or too strong. I told him that well why don't we complain about small guys being too fast or how they are able to get back to guard or fit into holes that big guys just can't do. That's why if I know I outweigh someone by 50 lbs I first try to submit them from several guards and don't take top positions. Just wanted some of your opinions on this matter. Phone Post 3.0

Sounds like you have the right attitude, the best BJJ guys I know who are heavy weights take the opportunity to try stuff when training with lighter guys that they couldnt get away with against guys the same weight as easily. Good way to improve technique.
Though on the flip side I aint give you no tips! Sucks enough be a featherweight without fattys getting better.

ubik - Sounds like you have the right attitude, the best BJJ guys I know who are heavy weights take the opportunity to try stuff when training with lighter guys that they couldnt get away with against guys the same weight as easily. Good way to improve technique.
Though on the flip side I aint give you no tips! Sucks enough be a featherweight without fattys getting better.
You're right about trying new stuff when rolling with much smaller guys. That's when I try my inverts or lapel guards. Lifting them and sweeping them is easier then rolling with someone my size (I'm 240 btw). So rolling with a 160 lb guy who moves extremely fast challenges me to move my hips just as fast to keep up with them trying to pass or keeping them at bay. Phone Post 3.0

allamerican85 - I was talking to another training partner the other day about the difference in games between big guys and small guys. He told me that some small guys complain about guys being too big or too strong. I told him that well why don't we complain about small guys being too fast or how they are able to get back to guard or fit into holes that big guys just can't do. That's why if I know I outweigh someone by 50 lbs I first try to submit them from several guards and don't take top positions. Just wanted some of your opinions on this matter. Phone Post 3.0

Agree. I've learned to be a lot better off my back.

As a "bigger" guy, I start every roll from a bad position, earn my way to top and I will even intentionally roll back to my back every now and then.

I'm 6'2", 200 lbs, so for some people I'm the big guy, but we have a few 250+ guys at our gym. So I deal with both sides of it. I try not to rely on my size/weight advantage if it is significant (unless I need every bit of advantage to hang with someone).

I don't mind bigger people using their weight, but it is very annoying when they just smother or pin you because they are to afraid to let you move. Obviously I work on trying to avoid those situations, but in the last month I've had two different big dudes just pin me for an entire 5 minute round. Very frustrating, but makes me realize I need to be more proactive before they get me flattened out.

I'd say most experienced big guys tend to start on bottom, so as to not crush people. But, hey, use what you got within reason. As mentioned, no one tells fast guys to "slow down" or flexibile guys to "act stiff".

It boils down to: 1) Rolling with big guys is exhausting and often hurts more, and  2)  the fact that people just don't like to lose and will bitch about anyone else who they percieve has an advantage over them.

Rolling with monsters has been some of my most important training. It clarifies real techniques from "fluff", very quickly.