Big oil-Strike is imminent

Sagiv Lapkin - 

*imminent

Soup and Beer -
D TRE - I was really surprised BP announced salary freezes and let so many people go. I'm sure the people(salary) that were able to stay will still receive some bad ass bonuses. I know I don't want to go on strike though...seems miserable and it would suck not getting paid what I'm used to. Phone Post 3.0

I would still be surprised if any strike occurs.  It's a different environment these days.  All you have to do is look out the window in the parking lot at all the $40,000 brand new trucks.  Most union workers (and people in general) are so far in debt they couldn't go a week without a paycheck.

With my local it's the issue of firing our maintenance employees. They won't agree to that so a strike will happen. Even if I wanted to go to work and say "fuck you Union brothers I have to get paid" the company wouldn't let me. It would create such a hostile environment. That being said most people have a lifestyle based on their income so yeah we need that check. I think the international agreements will work out though which is what I think you meant. Phone Post 3.0

Soup and Beer -
Sagiv Lapkin - 

*imminent

Damn it.. I'm multi tasking on my phone and watching the undefeated Kentucky team. Now I feel like an idiot. FML. Phone Post 3.0

Can a mod fix my spelling mistake on the thread title please? Phone Post 3.0

D TRE - Can a mod fix my spelling mistake on the thread title please? Phone Post 3.0

All set brother.

Sagiv Lapkin -
D TRE - Can a mod fix my spelling mistake on the thread title please? Phone Post 3.0

All set brother.

Lol.. Thanks. Delete all the evidence too!! J/k. Phone Post 3.0

Sagiv Lapkin - 

All set brother.

You changed it from eminent to enema!

And here I thought a huge oil deposit was found Phone Post 3.0

Saudis are fucking Putin HARD Phone Post 3.0

gregbrady - good for them

get it if you can

no one whines about the executives making absurd amounts of money but the ppl actually doing the work dont need to get paid.

lol @ the OG

this

i support their right to strike

On a side note, this glut of cheap oil has to be absolutely pissing off the Obama administration.  It sure puts a damper on the push for alternate energy.

Jambo888 - 

this isn't anything new for the oil industry. people that didn't prepare are negligent

Well, the oil industry has always been boom or bust.  But this is a bit different with the oil glut.  I don't think anyone suspected this at all.  I remember in 2008, all the "experts" were saying we will never see oil below $100 again, and to prepare for $250/barrel oil as the norm.  Who would have thought 6 years later we are looking at a potential 30-40 oil.

I don't always pay attention to what the news says. The last union power plant I was at had a negotiation dispute. We had just finished a 3yr contract and received a 2-2-3% raise during that time.

The company had made a bunch of poor purchasing decisions(coal) and was bleeding about $200 Million a quarter. As hourly employees we were asked to "help out" so we signed a 5yr contract with only one 3% raise in that time period. Management(even first line supervisors) all received bonus increases from 7 to 17-20% because of convincing us to the "downgrade".

At the end of this contract we asked for 4-4-4 and the media portraid us as greedy union utility workers asking for double digit wage increases. Nothing was ever mentioned about the mgt BS that inspired it. I still don't think the 4-4-4 was uncalled for considering the history.

Every company that has a union deserves it. If they were a good company to start with there would be no use for unionizing.

ttt

I've taken a 20% paycut so far with 2 months of no work. More cuts coming. I've been doing this a long time and gone throuh it before. Buckle down, make money where you can and wait.

rmenergy - I don't always pay attention to what the news says. The last union power plant I was at had a negotiation dispute. We had just finished a 3yr contract and received a 2-2-3% raise during that time.

The company had made a bunch of poor purchasing decisions(coal) and was bleeding about $200 Million a quarter. As hourly employees we were asked to "help out" so we signed a 5yr contract with only one 3% raise in that time period. Management(even first line supervisors) all received bonus increases from 7 to 17-20% because of convincing us to the "downgrade".

At the end of this contract we asked for 4-4-4 and the media portraid us as greedy union utility workers asking for double digit wage increases. Nothing was ever mentioned about the mgt BS that inspired it. I still don't think the 4-4-4 was uncalled for considering the history.

Every company that has a union deserves it. If they were a good company to start with there would be no use for unionizing.

Something similiar happened at the refinery where I work years ago.  One contract the union workers were asked to make concessions so they could remain competitive.  They didn't fight much and agreed to company demands.  Not long after that, one of the top dogs there had his emails hacked.  He was communicating with the main office that he could not believe the union took that deal and he perceived them as being weak.  He told them that the next contract the company should go after them hard.

I love unions. They destroyed Detroit. Please take Houston too. Phone Post 3.0

GucciGucciGucci - They didn't save money when they were raking in the big bucks ?

I'd be more supportive if they were the poor bastards working at Walmart making shit wages and hardly any benefits.

They did but those retained earnings look a lot more attractive to stock holders as dividends rather than pay increases.

What happened with the Exxon Baton Rouge plant a couple years back? Did they even go through with the strike? If so did they win some concessions?

Unions are just as greedy as the corporate shit heads who run the country. Yeah it's not fair for the guy who is in charge of an entire corporation to make 100% more then the blue collar guy doing all the work. Guess what? If you don't like it take your ass back to school, get a degree, start your own company and pay yourself what ever you feel like! Show me a union worker who has spent the time and his own money to achieve a master's and I'll show you someone who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. Unions drive me up the wall with rage. 9 times out of 10 were talking about someone with subpar education who has taken a few classes or courses and is now expecting to be paid what the guy who has dedicated his career to running a company and not just working there is making. Yeah it sucks to know that someone is making more then you and your busting your ass all year long and the other guy has a 9-5 and an office with a hot secretary. Do something about it instead of bitching about it! Phone Post 3.0