Big $ Week

Earlier this week we dropped a few K on a new generator for hurricane season. Today, the AC unit in the house failed and is apparently beyond repair. It was time to replace it anyway, so we are getting a whole new 4 ton unit installed on Saturday. That’s another $4k plus. 

it may sound like I am bitching, but I feel truly blessed that I can do this stuff while so many people are without income and work. Also, made sure to go with a reputable local family owned AC business to support the local economy. They were thrilled to get the work and gave us some very nice discounts. 

1 Like

replacing home appliances is always a tad of an inconvenience yet I would rather to worry about how I'm going to pay for replacing an AC system than to worry what happens when I'm unable to cover the rent.....

4 months rent will cover the cost for a BRAND NEW AC unit which will last for YEARS and during that time there will be time enough to save for the next replacement while paying down the mortgage or if PAID-IN-FULL then enjoying NO MONTHLY RENT EXPENSE :)

always smart to save for those upkeep expenses so that it doesn't cause too much inconvenience when that time rolls around.  One of the NUMEROUS Perks of the LUXURY  townhome life is that the monthly HOA takes care of maintaining the exterior structure(roof and all that) so that I only need worry about upkeep of the interior.  

Mine is at the limit (14 years), and it will be $7900 to get a new furnace and A/C. I have a tiny, tiny leak in the coils or somewhere so I've been surviving on getting it topped off ($320) each Spring and lasts about 14 months.

IDK how you're getting a 4 ton system for just $4k. Good deal.

WidespreadPanic -

Mine is at the limit (14 years), and it will be $7900 to get a new furnace and A/C. I have a tiny, tiny leak in the coils or somewhere so I've been surviving on getting it topped off ($320) each Spring and lasts about 14 months.

Where are you located? If you happen to be in my area, I’ll send you my guy’s information.

WidespreadPanic -

Same exact situation for me. I had to replace my larger downstairs unit last year and it was 7k. They said 6k for the upstairs with the leak. It isn’t hot enough here yet to know but I’m sure I’ll be replacing it in the next few weeks. 4K is a killer deal on a 4 ton unit OP, good for you! 

Thanks Eskimo. Best of luck to you finding a deal that’s even better!

Nice to see OGers helping each other out.

theraskal -

4 months rent will cover the cost for a BRAND NEW AC unit which will last for YEARS and during that time there will be time enough to save for the next replacement while paying down the mortgage or if PAID-IN-FULL then enjoying NO MONTHLY RENT EXPENSE :)

always smart to save for those upkeep expenses so that it doesn't cause too much inconvenience when that time rolls around.  One of the NUMEROUS Perks of the LUXURY  townhome life is that the monthly HOA takes care of maintaining the exterior structure(roof and all that) so that I only need worry about upkeep of the interior.  

How da fuq did we let this mfer back into this forum? 

2 Likes

One of my goals in life is to have central air. We have a couple window units that do the job but it would be nice to not have to fuck around with putting them in and taking them out all the time.

We live in South Florida, so every home pretty much has central air. When I lived in the Bay Area, though, we didn’t have AC. Wasn’t really an issue out there.

Passive Jay -

One of my goals in life is to have central air. We have a couple window units that do the job but it would be nice to not have to fuck around with putting them in and taking them out all the time.

I love you

New unit is in. It works nicely. Generator should be arriving next week sometime. I’m going to install a receptacle to plug the trickle charger into in the garage where it’ll be stored. Having a licensed Sparky come install the transfer switch because I haven’t done one in almost 20 years. I don’t want to mess it up. 

I'm toying with the idea of replacing my entire A/C system myself and just having a tech charge the system. It's a terribly stupid idea but I can get a 3.5 Ton system for like $2k. I replaced my furnace 7 years ago, so I just need a condenser and evaporator, plus the line set. I also probably need to redo my ducts, they are a clusterfuck.