Bigger gap in skill: blue or black belt

Blue belts have a giant gap in skill. You have your brand new guy who is nine months in with zero athletic background. Then you have your six year blue belt who wrestled D3 in college. There's a big difference between this two

There is a similar gap in black belts as well. You have a brand new black belt who is 8 years in and started bjj at 25. Then you have roger and Marcelo.

I personally have believe the bigger gap is in black belt. I have rolled with bb's who felt like purples and some who have made me feel like a first day white belt.

What you think Phone Post

There are huge gaps in people's talent and athleticism at every belt level imo.

A purple is a purple and a brown is a brown. Phone Post

Certainly black belt.

You will be a black belt MUCH longer than any other rank. Actually, you will be a black belt much longer than all other ranks combined.

--Unless you get hit by an Acai truck or are involved in a Berimbolo fatality or something.

Getting made to feel like a brand new white belt when you are a higher belt really sucks , I'm a purple ( for over 3 yrs ) and yesterday 2 BB's made me feel like a beginer all over again ( I usually do ok ) , I went home thinking that these things will still happen even when I'm a black . It just motivates be to train harder .

I think the bigger gap is at black for sure. There are black belts that are competitive with Marcelo Garcia and there are black belts he makes look like beginners.

At blue belt the gap is still largely determined by attributes whereas at black it's technical development I would think. Phone Post

def bb, anyone who says different simply hasnt rolled with enough different bb's to know yet..

Black, for sure.

When I become a black belt, I will cease to be competitive in the big tourneys. I'll be a new black and there will be guys competing in my division that will have been black for 15-20 years. I really don't have a chance there.

Black belt for sure. I've been told multiple times that the real learning starts at black belt. My friend Nobuya created this little picture when he got his black belt:

Trane - What about white belt? There are some guys that have never formally been promoted or have experience in other arts as well or sandbaggers. I've seen some white belts that should be high blue or even purple level.

There's this one "white belt" I know who turns up at the academy once or twice a year and smashes purples. Or at least holds his own comfortably.

I believe he trains somewhere in the mountains and therefore has no one to really promote him. But we all know he's defo not a white. Phone Post

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/3633-you-dont-say.jpg

Ttt Phone Post

awesome pic! Wow!

There are gaps in every belt level imo. I am a purple, not great, but not a slouch. I know for a fact that if I were to face the likes of Ryan Hall or Jeff Glover when they were purple belts... they would rape me, and not tastefully either.

deepu - Black belt for sure. I've been told multiple times that the real learning starts at black belt. My friend Nobuya created this little picture when he got his black belt:

I like that....more akin to judo than bjj IMO yet still applicable. Phone Post

Black belt. I know for a fact that there are black belts i can beat, but when I train with someone super legit i might as well have an incorrectly tied, new, stiff white belt. Marcel louzado at OC jiu jitsu from team checkmat beat me badly. I was trying to be polite for the first couple minutes but I could tell he was just bored so i tried. It didn't help. Afterwards I just wanted to keep training hoping i could someday be 1% as proficient.

Oh, and he was being very nice

Black belt.

I've rolled with lots of people at every belt level, and I think black belt has the biggest range. As a brown belt, I am competitive with some black belts, and others make me feel like a brand new white belt. I can only imagine the next level (or two) up with the likes of Marcelo, Braulio, etc. Phone Post

shen - 

Certainly black belt.

You will be a black belt MUCH longer than any other rank. Actually, you will be a black belt much longer than all other ranks combined.

--Unless you get hit by an Acai truck or are involved in a Berimbolo fatality or something.

the wise one speaketh truth as always

I would say BB as well, I am a purple I can hang with some blacks (meaning not get crushed) and others I am not even sure what is going on. I actually feel bad like will this happen when I get my BB will people say I am a fake bb, I don't know stressful. Phone Post