Biggest pay cut you'd take for a fulfilling job?

If you're in a job you don't care for in a field you don't really like, what's the biggest pay cut you'd take to switch to a field you find truly fulfilling and where going to work wouldn't really feel like work?  And what if you could relocate from a city you can't stand to a city you love and where you'd have a better quality of life, even if you end up kind of poor?

Would you consider a 50% pay cut, say from $70K/yr to $35K/yr?  How about from $50K/yr to $25K/yr?  Or $80K/yr to $40K/yr?

Or would you only consider a much smaller pay cut, like 10% or 15% or something like that?

And if you already make enough where a 50% pay cut would still leave you with a good income, say you made $150K/yr, 50% would be 75K which is still a good chunk of change, what's the least you'd consider working for at a job that you absolutely loved and didn't feel like work?

Minimum wage?  $12/hr?  $15/hr?  $20/hr?

t

99 -

Half. I would like to be an elementary school principal. They make about 70K in my area and that would be roughly a 50% pay cut. 

I dont enjoy what I do now but I don't hate it. Easiest job in the world and only have to work ablut 30 hours a week. 

Principal at my school makes almost 100

I took a cut from ~$150,000 to $75,000 a few years back. I was great for about a year then the new company started putting more and more work on me and I was back to working 70/80 hrs week, except now I was making around $85,000 instead of $150,000 so a big mistake looking back.

AnthonyWeiner - I took a cut from $60k to $40k for a move from 60 hours per week to 30, and went from a one-hour each way commute to less than five minutes each way. Worth it. I'm able to get my son up for breakfast, I pick him up from daycare every day, and get that amazing couple hours in the evening before his bedtime.

Best decision I ever made.

Right on brother, no man ever said on his death bed that they had wished they had worked more during their life.  But I'm sure several said they wished they had spent more time with their children.

AnthonyWeiner - I took a cut from $60k to $40k for a move from 60 hours per week to 30, and went from a one-hour each way commute to less than five minutes each way. Worth it. I'm able to get my son up for breakfast, I pick him up from daycare every day, and get that amazing couple hours in the evening before his bedtime.

Best decision I ever made.

this was how I was hoping mine would go. Great first year then all downhill.

i'd think about giving up residency for a 40hr week 75k/year stress free job

then again, why not go into PM&R or Psychiatry and make 200k/year for 40-50 hrs/week instead

There is really no job that I'd take a pay cut for. There are plenty that would sound great on paper, but would be just another fucking job I wasn't excited to do after a certain amount of time. It may suck less than my current job, but every job has stress, and every job will have some part about it that sucks...even if it looks like a fulfilling, and amazing job that I'd love, it'd be just another job after a while.

99 -

Half. I would like to be an elementary school principal. They make about 70K in my area and that would be roughly a 50% pay cut. 

I dont enjoy what I do now but I don't hate it. Easiest job in the world and only have to work ablut 30 hours a week. 

I want in on this 30hr a week 140k gig. More info please.

Well... I make about 70-80k a year now, living in the greater Philadelphia burbs.  I was and still am willing to take a more fulfilling job in the city, for 20k less a year.  

Debated taking a job in San Diego starting at 29k a year and shitty benefits.  Would've been much more fulfilling and it's San Diego.  But Much more expensive area.  After further consideration I am no longer willing to do that, so I bailed on even flying out there to pursue it.

so I'd say 20 k a year is my max cut right now

I took a 150K hit on my income this year to pursue my dream and projects that are fun.  

Never been happier.  

Darth Potato - 

Well... I make about 70-80k a year now, living in the greater Philadelphia burbs.  I was and still am willing to take a more fulfilling job in the city, for 20k less a year.  

Debated taking a job in San Diego starting at 29k a year and shitty benefits.  Would've been much more fulfilling and it's San Diego.  But Much more expensive area.  After further consideration I am no longer willing to do that, so I bailed on even flying out there to pursue it.

so I'd say 20 k a year is my max cut right now

Interesting.  I'm in very close to the same boat you were in.  Make around the sams you currently make, have a potential job offer in San Diego for $29K/yr.  Benefits would be great though and it would be doing something I actually enjoy.   No clue how I'd manage to feed myself with 29K/yr though.  

cruedi - I took a cut from ~$150,000 to $75,000 a few years back. I was great for about a year then the new company started putting more and more work on me and I was back to working 70/80 hrs week, except now I was making around $85,000 instead of $150,000 so a big mistake looking back.

This is always what happens. The new employer looks at you as that 150,000 employee they got a steal on and they slowly creep your responsibilities back up to where they were previously except at half the wage. 

I would not go down in salary for any job. But I am 30. If I was older and already had decent set of assets maybe I would consider it. 

99 -

I did something similar. I went from 600k to 300k. But I only work 45 minutes a day now. It was well worth it.

j-money - 
99 -

I did something similar. I went from 600k to 300k. But I only work 45 minutes a day now. It was well worth it.

How the hell does someone make 300K/yr working 45 minutes a day?

I'm saving my pay cut for when I retire. 

angryinch -
j-money - 
99 -

I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with lying on the internet.

Jayn200 - 
cruedi - I took a cut from ~$150,000 to $75,000 a few years back. I was great for about a year then the new company started putting more and more work on me and I was back to working 70/80 hrs week, except now I was making around $85,000 instead of $150,000 so a big mistake looking back.

This is always what happens. The new employer looks at you as that 150,000 employee they got a steal on and they slowly creep your responsibilities back up to where they were previously except at half the wage. 

I would not go down in salary for any job. But I am 30. If I was older and already had decent set of assets maybe I would consider it. 

I was about 40 when I made that switch. It was really to spend time with my kids who had just turned 3. My responsibilities didn't slowly creep up, it was within 2 years. Left that job and got a better paying job with less work than the original so and better pay than the second so it's be OK the last few years.

angryinch -
j-money - 
99 -

It's a thread about salary on the OG. You know the rules.

I took about a 40-50K/year cut for more time with my family and no road work.