Biggest reason a WMMA UFC headliner is a mistake

The arena will be half empty as folks exit following Hendo/Machida. This will look horrible on TV.
Put the first UFC women's bout on the undercard & make the hardcores "sit through it". They'll then know what they have & stick around for the next one.
This is not a slam on WMMA, of which I'm a fan. It's just a good idea

Call it a gimmick, call it strategy, call it whatever you want. Woman vs Woman is the draw here. And I think it'll be a surprisingly good draw, if only once.

If anything, the arena will only be filling up when Rousey/Carmouche go at it - all the celebrities, people that don't actually give a shit about fighting but are there to be a part of that special occasion-type moment, they're just there to watch a woman fight a woman in the Octagon.

Making history is always a good publicity draw - whether WMMA can maintain/build interest beyond that? I have my doubts. But this particular card will do great, if only for the fact it's a big deal event that will only ever happen once. Women will never debut for the first time in the Octagon again, casuals and hardcores alike capitalize on those types of experiences when they're made aware to them.

Hendo wouldn't move the numbers WMMA headlining this card would. If you think he would, you're a hardcore that can't see the forest through the trees.

Remember, hardcore MMA fans, as we so often never do - casuals move this industry, not us. The kind of people that can probably only name Chuck Liddell (and some of which probably think he's still champ). this card's aimed at them. And with increased public interest Hendo will get more fans and possibly even cash than he would otherwise specifically thanks to this fight, so what's the beef here exactly?

This wasn't some random choice - it was constructed specifically because it's the move that will make the most money and build the most public interest beyond the types of people who will buy this event anyways 'cuz they buy most if not all events.

Certainly a considerate take on it. I hope it does play out that way because I would like to see more WMMA in the UFC.

It's the playing out that I agree with your original post in a sense about - I feel like the whole way the UFC is approaching this is 'Go big or go home', and they're really rolling the dice on that.

If they were serious about building WMMA the responsible, slow and sure way, you're right this wouldn't be the main event. They're looking to cash it in, big. Here's hoping for WMMA's sake that Rousey goes out there and does it in style 'cuz if the casuals they were roping in specifically for this fight walk away unimpressed, I'm not sure they'll ever get into WMMA at least not anytime soon and most will walk away with, unfortunately, a poor opinion of what WMMA is and can be.

I think it'll work out, but it's undeniable that Zuffa's taking a real chance here. The fact it's happening at all speaks to the reality of modern-day Zuffa - after a disappointing 2012, they're desperate for starpower. Rousey, and indeed WMMA itself in the UFC, are a literaly, direct result of that. This wouldn't be happening imo if Zuffa had another banner year in 2012 (Not trying to be negative, just looking at this from a business perspective).

What got me thinking about this was Tubarao's thread on whether the UFC regulars would be ordering 157. I understand, in any senario, the dissatisifed will be the most vocal, but what got my attention was how many posters said that this is the first PPV they'll intentionally skip. I'd hate for that to play out in the arena when the main event rolls around & create a perception that there is comparatively little interest in WMMA.

dipsheet - What got me thinking about this was Tubarao's thread on whether the UFC regulars would be ordering 157. I understand, in any senario, the dissatisifed will be the most vocal, but what got my attention was how many posters said that this is the first PPV they'll intentionally skip. I'd hate for that to play out in the arena when the main event rolls around & create a perception that there is comparatively little interest in WMMA.

It's worth keeping in mind that most people who said that just lied 'cuz they're upset that Hendo isn't the main event.

Most of them will buy the card - the UG's just full of overdramatic babies, alas. The kind of people who, in a vain effort to make a point, would threaten not to watch a fight they love just to make some silly statement against 'the man', as if DFW gives a shit that 20-30 UGers aren't going to buy a PPV vs the 100,000-200,000 that get hooked in on the WMMA tip.

I disagree with OP.

You've got an undefeated bad ass that finishes EVERYONE by arm bar, in record fashion,

and there is no way you will be able to forget about it if you are at the arena or at home.

^^I fully expect those who watch it to enjoy it. My concern is that putting it last on the card makes it too easy to skip altogether; that if someone is not into WMMA because the don't know what they are missing, that the placement of the fight makes it likely they'll stay that way.

No Phone Post

This is one of the few fights of the year that I won't pay for and I'll end up streaming. It's not specifically because of the Ronda fight but I need more than Machida v Henderson for $55 and Ronda certainly isn't it. Card just isn't worth the money imo....and I've ordered a lot of ppv's that weren't worth it. Phone Post

I don't know how many PPV buys the UFC is expecting UFC 157 to do, but I gurantee the actual number of PPV buys will be below what the UFC is expecting.

Chris Power - 
dipsheet - What got me thinking about this was Tubarao's thread on whether the UFC regulars would be ordering 157. I understand, in any senario, the dissatisifed will be the most vocal, but what got my attention was how many posters said that this is the first PPV they'll intentionally skip. I'd hate for that to play out in the arena when the main event rolls around & create a perception that there is comparatively little interest in WMMA.

It's worth keeping in mind that most people who said that just lied 'cuz they're upset that Hendo isn't the main event.

Most of them will buy the card - the UG's just full of overdramatic babies, alas. The kind of people who, in a vain effort to make a point, would threaten not to watch a fight they love just to make some silly statement against 'the man', as if DFW gives a shit that 20-30 UGers aren't going to buy a PPV vs the 100,000-200,000 that get hooked in on the WMMA tip.

This 100%
This card has a bunch of entertaining match ups.

If you're looking to skip this event because you're butthurt that Hendo isn't the main event then it shows that you really aren't a true combat sports fan.

RKing85 - I don't know how many PPV buys the UFC is expecting UFC 157 to do, but I gurantee the actual number of PPV buys will be below what the UFC is expecting.

Unless it does under 200k thats the only way I could see it doing less than the UFC expected.

THey arent expecting 500k buys, they are probably expecting in the range of 250-350 which I think they will hit that.

I think it is a mistake making it the main event in a bussiness sense. But at the same time I dont give a shit cause i love WMMA. I think they should have had 2 title fights and had rousey co-main. I think the women would get more exposure that way. But over all I dont care im still going to watch it.

Chris Power -

I buy every card. I still think Hendo should've been headline. Rousey should've been CO main event. Makes a great card with two 5 rounders on it. Even though I expect one of the fights last two minutes.

Everyone will bitch when the Hendo/Machida ends up close, or split decision. Should be a five rounder. ESP since the main event will last 2mins total. Phone Post

There is a big difference between WMMA and Ronda Rousey.  Putting Ronda as a headliner is fine, putting any other 2 women is a huge mistake.

The last time the UG threw a fit like Rousey in the main event was when they were mad that Lesnar was brought in and then got a title shot.

How did that all work out?

The biggest mistake is her opponent. Cyborg is the only really compelling fight for her out there. This fight should have headlined a free card or been a co-main with another title fight. Introducing WMMA with a squash match as a ppv headliner is a bad move, imo.

I'm sure people will stick around another minute for the Rousey fight to end Phone Post

Why wouldnt you stick around for another minute or two to see a beautiful armbar? Phone Post