Biggest Rivalry right now?

IYO - what is the biggest rivalry in the NFL right now?

I don't know about biggest but I would have to say that Jaguars and Texans has to be a big one. Especially with the Jags losing to their sorry asses twice last year.

My biased opinion is Colts - Pats. Both are always in the hunt and after last year and Peyton's performance against the Pats, they are far more of a legitimate contender, imo.

I'll always qualify it with how depelted of a secondary and LB core the Pats had, but Peyton a couple years ago would have folded up into the fetal position after that INT for a TD. He overcame it though. I think that gave him confidence that regular season accolades never could have given him.

My biased opinion agrees 100% with Gaydar actually!

historically

Bears Packers

taking only the last 10 years , Pats-Colts

49ers vs the Cowgirls.

Their still doin nothin with Owens in the lineup. They will be lucky to even get in the playoffs.

The whole AFC west division

Terrell Owens vs his past/present/future coach or quarterback

Texans always play the Jags tough for some reason. Last year was a good example of how the Jags seem to be early favorites for the playoffs only to get the shit kicked out of them by the Texans and run off with their tails between their legs in route to an underachieving season.

Jags are one of the most talented teams in the NFL, and definately have the best DT duo in the NFL but the Texans have their number more often than not :-)

CURRENTLY??? Colts vs Pats.

"49ers vs the Cowgirls."

LOL say what? There hasn't been a rivarly between the 49 fags and the Cowboys since the 90's.

Oh there is always plenty of hate for the Cowgirls everytime they come to town. You a cowgirls fan?

"You a cowgirls fan?"

Everyone is a Cowgirls fan http://dallascowboys.com/cheerleaders/

^^^I concur.

Broncos vs Raiders. One of the only games where the pplayers actually came up into the stands. There is a hatred there that is not present in other rivalries. There were brawls in the 90's.

I think that has kinda tamed down over the past couple of years IMO 303/

NFC East CURRENTLY: Giants vs Cowboys...Eagles are still top dawg UNTIL sum1 ends McNabb for good...Skins have to decide if they want to rebuild or stick to Snyder's free agency tactics.

Broncos vs. Raiders rivalry still going strong
Gazette, The (Colorado Springs), Sep 22, 2003 by MILO F. BRYANT

Find More Results for: "Broncos vs Raiders Rivalry "
Denver celebrates vs....
Plummer refuses to let...
INSIDE THE NFL:...
's Week 13 picks
As Floyd Little sat in the office of his southern California car dealership, his boisterous voice was filled with all the enthusiasm and vigor of an NFL player getting ready to play the one team he loved to hate.

One must hold the phone a few inches from the ear when Little talks about the Oakland Raiders. He gets into it. He holds back few words and definitely doesn't mince them.

"I hated those (expletives)," Little said. "We had a 14-game schedule, but we only had to win two games: Home and road against the Raiders. The whole week leading up to the game was bad. It was something that gave you gas."

Little was the Broncos' leading rusher from 1967 through 1973. During his prime years, Little lost 12 of the 14 games he played against the Raiders. The Raiders outscored the Broncos 424-236 in the 14 games. The lone victory was a 30-23 win in 1972. In the teams' first game of 1973, they tied 23-23.

"(Oakland) was always a tough game because you know you had to be at your best," Little said. "It was tough, it was physical. Everybody wanted to play in the game, too. Guys on the team would lie about their injuries just to get out there."

Advertisement

Daryle Lamonica paints a different picture. The "Mad Bomber" chuckles when asked to recall memories of late 1960s and early 1970s Raiders-Broncos games.

It's a knowing chuckle, the kind a brother or sister gets when he knows he has something on his sibling. One can almost see Lamonica leaning back in his recliner, arms high, fingers clasped behind his head.

"It seemed like we were always battling for the Western Conference title," Lamonica said. "I don't care when it was, whenever we played the Broncos in Denver, it snowed. The fans would make those snowballs, and they'd throw them at you when you ran on the field and when you ran off the field."

Hearty laughter followed. You can laugh and say things like that when you always came out on top - even though some of those things aren't true. Sure the snowballs were real. But playing for a title?

Uh huh.

The Broncos amounted to Raiders' feed, Raiders' whippin' boys. In Lamonica's prime, the Raiders won 11 times and lost once.

They were almost the Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote of football. No matter how sly Little and the Broncos were, Lamonica's powerful arm always avoided the anvil. It's a surprise Little doesn't wake up these days in a frosty sweat screaming about hapless ACME products.

What made it worse for some Broncos' players was that several Raiders' players lived in Denver during the offseason. Little even trained with former Raiders' defensive back Willie Brown, who played for Denver from 1963-'66, at Manual High School in the offseason.

"They used to talk crap the entire summer," Little said. "You know, we may have lost, but I got 110 yards against them, so they couldn't say much about me."

Still the pain of losing to the Raiders was worse than losing to any other team. Little almost dismisses the rivalry with the Kansas City Chiefs. Little doesn't like the Chiefs because of a game where "they were ahead by 40 points, and they onside kick us," Little said, laughing.

That doesn't match the loathing he has for the Raiders.

"I still don't like them," Little said. "I don't want them to beat anybody. I root against them every chance I get. I rooted against them in the Super Bowl. I rooted against them, uggh, uggh.

"I . . . I . . . I don't know what it is. I just don't like them."

Lamonica has no hard feelings, no grief. But it's easy for him not to, even almost four decades later. Not much has changed for Lamonica in 36 years. He believes the AFC West title still runs through one of these two teams.

"The Raiders are off to a slow start," Lamonica said. "As an old quarterback, I know you win championships with defense, but the Raiders offense hasn't been clicking yet. They didn't look well in the preseason games, and maybe it carried over. The Broncos got off to an OK start, but their offense isn't scoring as well it could. But I think we'll get a good indicator of who will win the (AFC West today)."

Not scoring as well as it could? The Broncos have played twice and averaged 33.3 points in those games.

None of that matters to Little. Just as long as the Broncos score more than the Raiders.

"I don't care about San Diego, Kansas City or any of those other teams," Little said. "Just as long as we beat them."

No, not much has changed. There remains a blossoming love-to-hate saga. This week and today's game are merely Maalox moments for the new millennium.

Columnist Milo Bryant can be reached at 636-0252 or mbryant@gazette.com

Copyright 2003

Sept. 16, 2003) -- One state was born from mining and agriculture. A settler avalanche thirsting for gold filled the other.

NFL Network

NFL Network

Analysis, opinions, features and more!

Download Super Bowl XXXIX radio broadcasts and highlights to your MP3 player!

Field Pass

Listen LIVE to NFL games, plus watch video news and features of your favorite team.

While different roads to sustenance nurtured Colorado and California as young states, Denver and Oakland share an illuminated eight-lane superhighway of gridiron rivalry riches. Including two playoff meetings, the 88th game between the Denver Broncos and Oakland Raiders takes place this week on ABC's Monday Night Football.

The Broncos are one victory away from their fifth 3-0 start in eight years. If Oakland wins, the Raiders will keep pace with Denver and would force a three-way tie atop the AFC West should Kansas City fall at Houston.

"It goes back a long time -- back to the old AFL days," Pro Football Hall of Famer and former Raiders tackle/assistant and head coach Art Shell (1968-94) said about the Broncos-Raiders' rivalry. "For so many years, we had the Broncos inside our fist. The town supported them and they always had rabid fans. We would beat them, but it was always a hard-fought game.

"There was a line to the whirlpool the day after that game."

Former Broncos linebacker Randy Gradishar (1974-83), who was one of 15 Pro Football Hall of Fame finalists in 2003, agrees with Shell's assessment of the series. "With the Raiders, it was always about psychological warfare," he said. "I never called them by their team name. I called them the 'Outcast Guys' or 'Street Boys.' The Raiders learned to respect the Broncos in the late 1970s when we started winning those games."

Denver posted a favorable 6-5 (.545) record against the Raiders from 1977-81, breaking a chain of Oakland dominance from 1963-76 when the Silver & Black was 24-2-2 (.893) versus their Rocky Mountain rivals.

Marcus Allen tries to get by Tony Lilly in a Raiders-Broncos game on Nov. 2, 1986.

In the past 25 years, the series is nearly deadlocked as the Raiders hold a 25-24 edge in head-to-head victories. Year-to-year, it is usually a one-sided script. Since 1978, each team has swept the other 10 times while splitting the series in only four seasons:

Denver and Oakland have captured 21 of the AFC West's 32 division titles (65.6 percent). The Raiders have finished atop the division 12 times, followed by Denver (9), San Diego (5), Kansas City (4), and Seattle (2).

Shell was a sterling 21-8-1 (.717) against Denver as a player. However, one of those eight defeats denied the Raiders a trip to Super Bowl XII as the Broncos posted a 20-17 victory in Mile High Stadium for the 1977 AFC championship, earning Denver its first Super Bowl berth.

"I remember playing in the (1977) AFC Championship Game and I think it was (Denver running back) Rob Lytle who fumbled, but it wasn't ruled a fumble," Shell said. "That was a big play in that game. They ended up winning and went on to the Super Bowl to play Dallas. Instant replay would have overturned that doggone play."

"Everyone uses excuses," a half-joking Gradishar retorted. "We just beat their butts and that's the reality of it. That's part of the fun and tradition of this rivalry. They were bigger than most teams. They were intimidating and they had more talent than a lot of teams with (Ken) Stabler, Shell, (Dave) Casper, (Fred) Biletnikoff, (Ted) Hendricks, and Lester (Hayes) and his 'stick-um' stuff.

"This kind of rivalry breeds competition and develops into a great tradition that grows over the years. In Colorado and Denver, there's no need for coaches to motivate players or fans for this game. It's self-propelling."

Cowboys vs. Shitskins. Thread over.