Bioshock looks like crap

Serious Sam + nice graphics = Bioshock.

The new gameplay video of Bioshock was released recently, and I can't help but feel severely dissapointed. I was hoping Bioshock would infuse new life into the tired FPS genre, but gameplaywise it looks lame. It's basically Serious Sam with improved graphics. The AI looked terrible, the gameplay looked extremely repetetive and hectic.

Bah... thank god for RPGs or I'd quit gaming altogether.

It doesn't anything like serious sam at all to me, completely different.

Have you watched the developer commentary video or read anything about this game?

I guarantee you this game will not score any higher than a 7.7 or so.

I think the art direction is gay, very much like fallout. The whole "IT'S THE FUTURE BUT NOT REALLY!" style of art is just ridiculous looking. So you can make vast underwater cities but you can't figure out the compact disc/interior decorating that doesn't look like shit/television technology.

Also I don't like how you can't kill the little girls who wander around. It's not like I was looking forward to it, but their indestructability is just a huge cop-out that takes you right out of the games immersion.

"The whole "IT'S THE FUTURE BUT NOT REALLY!" style of art is just ridiculous looking."

It's an underwater colony built in the 30s or 40s or whenever Art Deco was big, so that's why it looks like that. It looks awesome. By far a better art/design style (at least for the architecture/decoration) than any other FPS I can think of. Thank god it's not another boiler room/office/jungle.

"their indestructability is just a huge cop-out that takes you right out of the games immersion."

Pretty much every game ever made has some random items you can't shoot/destroy, so it's not that big a deal. Also, the game explains their indestructability.

The art direction very much reminds me of City of Lost Children...and I very much approve.

"I think the art direction is gay, very much like fallout."

Watch your mouth calling Fallout gay!

Weren't they advertising that you could kill the little girls when Bioshock first came out? Not that I'm advocating that or anything.

You can "harvest their Adam", which causes them to die. You can't shoot them or blow them up.

Dunno.

That's the brain breaking part for me... they didn't have the ability to build underwater cities in the 30's and 40's.

And fallout is great I just don't like the art direction.

"they didn't have the ability to build underwater cities in the 30's and 40's"

The games goal isn't exactly historical realism... its a sci-fi game after all

"they didn't have the ability to build underwater cities in the 30's and 40's"

congrats on using your imagination....

We will see.

Honestly, I'm not sold yet. I've learned quickly to just ignore all the pretentious bullshit that the developers spew in interviews and walkthroughs, tune out all the hyperbole, and just look and listen to the game. On just that basis, it looks like a rather standard shooter with some nice art directions. It might be a good game, but not a classic. Hope I'm wrong.

Sadyv and Bry Bry have drained the Adam frm the correct....

"Her big Daddy is dead. She is defenceless. Her Mr bubbles minder is flat on his back. And so she writhes back and forth, her tiny arms pushing against my elbows, desperate for escape. She's scared. I have her by the scruff of the neck. She can't escape. She can only wait for my decision. Live or die? The latter seems fair. My hands move swiftly. Her head is forced downward, oh-so sharp. She's pressed beneath my vision, just out of sight. Theres a crack, a splinter and then she re-appears. Limp. In my left hand her corpse. It is discarded, landing face down in a dank corner. In my right hand,the slithering, dripping slug, I've just extracted from her broken spine. Its what I need. My trophy.I swallow it whole, slime still dripping of my hands...
This is not a family game."

shivers

I can't wait.

No, I think it's from the 1up preview of the first couple hours. Or maybe a UK site, I can't remember. A few sites now have hands-on impressions of the beginning section of the game.

Sadyv has head-shotted the correct. Previews can rave all they want, developers can jack off to their own creation, but what I SAW in those gameplay videos was very mediocre.

Believe what some paid-off reviewer tells me, or what I see with my two eyes... hmmmm... tough choice.