Bipolar disorder

Get medication but get therapy as well. Don't do one or the other, combine them.

Remember, medication is like a shovel. You can dig with your hands but a shovel makes the digging easier but it's still work. However, YOU control the shovel, it doesn't control you.

These @$$hats who talk about medication like it's the end of the world are wrong. It's just another tool to help you get better but it won't be a thing where you take a pill and it all goes away. You're going to have to spend the time with someone working out your life and so that you can plan how you want it to go.

Which in itself is actually what a lot of people should do instead of stumbling around like a bull in a china shop.

Half Hour - Ok...so had anyone had any experience with this med wise? I'm on celexa and trazodone. What will work? Med wise? Natural? Believe it or not antidepressants dont kill my dick. But I get impulsive as fuck when I get manic. Definitely need to be balanced. Phone Post 3.0
My wife has it, she tried all different types of things that never really worked. Some (lithium) turned her into a zombie, others just didn't do much. Finally she just quit taking anything and life was hell, to the point we split up (pre-marriage). She eventually got a doctor that knew his stuff and was prescribed Lamictal, since then she has pretty much been symptom free. No more ups and downs, if she doesn't take it for a few days she can literally fell her self changing. It's been tough but it can be managed, just have to find what works for you. Phone Post 3.0

Thank you everyone for your input. Its pretty cool. I appreciate it. Phone Post 3.0

Something that helps me is finding out what specifically alters my mood. Keep a journal. For example, if I find myself staying inside all the time, then I find myself getting down again. Natural light and exercise are extremely beneficial in my case. Also in my case it helped to weed out the people who didn't help me in life. Certain friends just had a way of making me go off. I had to cut ties with some people to ensure I didn't go ape shit all the time.

Also, like others said, take the time and find out what meds work best for you. Find a doctor and therapist you trust, and stick with that.

The main goal is to keep yourself on an even keel. Don't miss too much sleep or that will effect your mood and trigger your bipolar. Don't overtrain or do anything physically exhausting. If you do then go to bed early. Eat very healthy.

Do a lot of normally healthy things to stop your mood swings from being too great. Eat right, sleep right, exercise moderately. Live healthy.

StrikingMMA - The main goal is to keep yourself on an even keel. Don't miss too much sleep or that will effect your mood and trigger your bipolar. Don't overtrain or do anything physically exhausting. If you do then go to bed early. Eat very healthy.

Do a lot of normally healthy things to stop your mood swings from being too great. Eat right, sleep right, exercise moderately. Live healthy.
Will do. Thank you. Phone Post 3.0

Dougie - Get medication but get therapy as well. Don't do one or the other, combine them.

Remember, medication is like a shovel. You can dig with your hands but a shovel makes the digging easier but it's still work. However, YOU control the shovel, it doesn't control you.

These @$$hats who talk about medication like it's the end of the world are wrong. It's just another tool to help you get better but it won't be a thing where you take a pill and it all goes away. You're going to have to spend the time with someone working out your life and so that you can plan how you want it to go.

Which in itself is actually what a lot of people should do instead of stumbling around like a bull in a china shop.
Meds AND therapy combo is extremely important. Meds keep things even and therapy helps figure out ways to change your behaviors, limit impulses etc....if youre really struggling, therapy can almost seem more important than the meds. That said, therapy wont do shit without meds because youll likely ignore everything the therapist suggests. You may feel like you dont have anything to discuss with the therapist some days but those were often the days i left his office feeling like the most had gotten done. Phone Post 3.0