Birds eating my peppers

So I'm growing some peppers in pots outdoors on a cart.  Been growing them from seed for a couple months now.  I finally get my first pepper and on the day I plan to harvest it....it's gone!  Now I am going to assume it was a bird but I guess it could've been something else.  However, the plant was left unharmed and nothing was knocked over.  I think a bird is the only thing that could pull off such a thing plus they don't have receptors for spicy peppers.

I do, in fact, have 2 cats that like to hang out in the backyard but only a couple hours a day.  So what do?  Do I need make a scarecrow or some shit?  I'm not home for about 12 hours every day and then I try to sleep about 6 of those hours so I'm not going to be sitting in my backyard with a pellet gun or anything. Besides I'd fell horrible taking out a mocking bird or whatever over a pepper.

Put bird netting over them. Birds love peppers. Chile pequin also goes by the name bird pepper because birds love it so much.

2 Likes

Consider O’Possums also. They are prevalent in Florida. They will scavenge anything although they are supposed to be good for gardens.

StrikingMMA - Consider O'Possums also. They are prevalent in Florida. They will scavenge anything although they are supposed to be good for gardens.

Yeah they have absolutely destroyed anything I've ever tried to grow in the ground but these are all in pots on top of a cart.  I just don't think there exists a possum agile enough to get a pepper without knocking shit over.

robbie380 - 

Put bird netting over them. Birds love peppers. Chile pequin also goes by the name bird pepper because birds love it so much.

What kind of netting?

What about a little Voodoo doll thing?  lol..but seriously.

You can pick up them when they are green abdominal they are willful continue today ripen on them counter.

Gets an owl and a move it everyday, hang old and cds or getting the flashing tape off Amazon today spoke to them. 

I never had any luck with the fake owl.

Moved it everyday, watched coons walk right past it on my security camera and eat in my garden.

Mutant - 

You can pick up them when they are green abdominal they are willful continue today ripen on them counter.

Gets an owl and a move it everyday, hang old and cds or getting the flashing tape off Amazon today spoke to them. 

This is what I'm looking for.  Thanks!  Love the CD idea.  I can make a blinky LED thing using electronics wizardry.

Hmmm...maybe I could make motion detector linked to an arduino that runs some servos to flap wings on a voodoo doll owl...

dhughes -
Mutant - 

This is what I'm looking for.  Thanks!  Love the CD idea.  I can make a blinky LED thing using electronics wizardry.

Hmmm...maybe I could make motion detector linked to an arduino that runs some servos to flap wings on a voodoo doll owl...

I use these and the owl I got at the home depot. 

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00LH28WK0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_px7CFbR5SY9WW

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00UNAVW1I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0x7CFbHRN5R26

thedogofdogs -

I never had any luck with the fake owl.

Moved it everyday, watched coons walk right past it on my security camera and eat in my garden.

No coons eating my garden 

Birds eating my pecker

1 Like

Get a pet hawk 

1 Like
dhughes -
robbie380 - 

What kind of netting?

https://www.amazon.com/PetiDream-Netting-Stops-Plants-Vegetables/dp/B07PTBZXHB/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bird+netting&qid=1601418907&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-3

Something like that

What about something like this?  Kinda combined a few ideas.  The voodoo doll also contains shiny shit and I threw some shattered CDs around.  Also, said a Morgal curse...or whatever.

In the off chance one of them can read...I put in HV for high voltage.  More of a threat than a warning.

![](upload://z2iVt6k5OariXoBx1HLhnPyFyKx.jpeg)

robbie380 - 
dhughes -
robbie380 - 

What kind of netting?

https://www.amazon.com/PetiDream-Netting-Stops-Plants-Vegetables/dp/B07PTBZXHB/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bird+netting&qid=1601418907&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-3

Something like that

Ahhh sweet.  Thank you.

RJJH - 

get a fake bird of prey and nail it to your fence.

owl, osprey, hawk etc.

done.

I live literally 1/2 a mile from the Audubon's Birds of Prey Center.  I could get a real one and nail it to the fence if that would work better.

dhughes -

What about something like this?  Kinda combined a few ideas.  The voodoo doll also contains shiny shit and I threw some shattered CDs around.  Also, said a Morgal curse...or whatever.

In the off chance one of them can read...I put in HV for high voltage.  More of a threat than a warning.

Hang cds so they spin as well so you freak them out! 

Set a rubber snake on the ground next to the peppers

Mutant - 
dhughes -

Hang cds so they spin as well so you freak them out! 

Shit...now that I think about it..what about putting those Christmas-s.tyle lasers out?  Have them shoot straight up.