Bizarre Smackdown spoiler

Randy Orton returned.. he fought Wade Barrett to a no-contest

But man.. if he is ready to wrestle again why show him on TV?  Why not have a nice surprise for Rumble buyers.  Fucking WWE.. 

Do they really think showing Orton on TV is going to increase Rumble buys?  If they stopped writing stories for short-term ratings they might actually generate some damn excitement on a regular basis.

They've been advertising his return for the last week or so. He's the Cena of Smackdown so if he's ready, he'll be on tv. Plus its a warm up match before the rumble against the opponent that injured him. Phone Post

That doesn't make it any less ridiculous. Classic example of sacrificing an interesting story for the sake of chasing a menial ratings increase Friday night.  Whereas in the long-run if you produce interesting story the numbers will follow.

I was actually at that show tonight. He looked good in the ring. I thought he was injured pretty bad. Guess not since he had a pretty rough "street fight" at the end in a dark match with Wade (who came out to new crappy music). A kendo stick even made an appearance!

RML -  That doesn't make it any less ridiculous. Classic example of sacrificing an interesting story for the sake of chasing a menial ratings increase Friday night.  Whereas in the long-run if you produce interesting story the numbers will follow.

This. Phone Post

He wasn't injured. It was to cover another wellness violation. They have done the same in the past to cover the asses of the top stars like Batista.

PTSandman - He wasn't injured. It was to cover another wellness violation. They have done the same in the past to cover the asses of the top stars like Batista.

Injured.. suspended.. whatever.  They blew an interesting storyline by not holding him out as a shock entry to the Rumble.

RML -  Randy Orton returned.. he fought Wade Barrett to a no-contest

But man.. if he is ready to wrestle again why show him on TV?  Why not have a nice surprise for Rumble buyers.  Fucking WWE.. 

Do they really think showing Orton on TV is going to increase Rumble buys?  If they stopped writing stories for short-term ratings they might actually generate some damn excitement on a regular basis.

Pecause people who buy the Rumble are already in your pocket, putting him on TV before the PPV is an attempt to get more buys.

johnnypayne - 
RML -  Randy Orton returned.. he fought Wade Barrett to a no-contest

Pecause people who buy the Rumble are already in your pocket, putting him on TV before the PPV is an attempt to get more buys.
Did you read anything I said? Obviously I recognize Orton was brought back for short term ratings.. but ploys to boost short term ratings hurt actual creative storytelling.. which in the long run will increase ratings.

If he is going to appear at the rumble I would not have him wrestle on tv before hand, but at least make mention of his return. A surprise return does at the ppv nothing for buy rates.