BJ Penn Getting Acupuncture

February 25, 2011

Acupuncture is a placebo. That's all.

Aren't those marshmallows? I'm amazingly surprised that the level headed BJ Penn subscribes to this kind of holistic bullshit.

Never had it done myself. It's considered a very respectable profession in East Asia

Pseudoscience nonsense

Who cares as long as it works for that particular person?

I suppose BJ should simply log on here for the most up-to-date fixes lol.

Buck 65 - Acupuncture is a placebo. That's all.

Are you in the medical field? Just wondering, because I've tried chiropractors, traction/physical therapy, and acupuncture for my neck injury, and acupuncture is the only thing that felt like I experienced results. Might be psychological, or timing, or a number of other issues, but needles stimulating blood flow to repair damaged tissue doesn't sound unreasonable, but I'm definitely not a medical professional.

08'ers gonna... 11?

acupuncture is not just a placebo. when you have needles stuck inside of your flesh, what happens is, the human body instinctively releases certain chemicals and toxins inside your body, increases blood flow, boosts metabolism, and many other things happen anatomically.

please do not judge something that you clearly know nothing about.

Are you really that stupid ?

Acupuncture is amazing. You can't comment on something you know nothing about. It has been practiced for over 4000 years, placebos don't last that long. Phone Post

I am in the medical field, soon to be MD.

Although we practice allopathic medicine, medicine outside of western world has been practiced for far longer and should be respected.

It has worked for many and hasnt worked for others. It is beleived to work on acupoints relieving pressure.

I think I would prescribe this to my patients in the future if allopathic medicine isnt working and they are looking for an alternative for relief.

People who call it pseudoscience just cuz its not regulated by FDA or havent tried it themselves are just ignorant

tpw2k - I am in the medical field, soon to be MD.

Although we practice allopathic medicine, medicine outside of western world has been practiced for far longer and should be respected.

Wow its refreshing to see you say this. Most "Western" doctors just scoff at anything they don't learn in Medical school.

RVCA

"Aren't those marshmallows? I'm amazingly surprised that the level headed BJ Penn subscribes to this kind of holistic bullshit."

Athletes in pain will try any and all options if the mainstream stuff doesnt work.

Allopathic western medicine is the gold standard for most ailments. But different physical therapies can provide relief for stuff that regular options havent helped. Youre not just going to automatically get a major surgery that will fix the structual issue but might not be the best option for getting functional for sports or pain free again.

When the richest people all over the world get terminally ill, they all come to an American hospital for the cutting edge treatment western medicine provides. Maintence therapy for athletes is a little different. Its based on how the patient "feels" and not just what the labs say.

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/acu.html

Acupuncture is a very effective and long established form of healing but like anything,there are good and bad practitioners and many false perceptions. I had a 3 treatment session once, was amazed what I could feel going on inside my body,very impressed with the results. Asked him why one spot on the hand/thumb was hot and painful, he said 'that point corresponds with your lungs'. He didn't know I smoked.

Musashi - Those who talk about 'pseudoscience' and 'quackery' are ignoring EXTENSIVE clinical and scientific evidence that supports the effectiveness of acupuncture for certain conditions. This is no secret. [pubmed, medline, etc)
What works for someone may not work for another. Not every pill Western Medicine shoves at people works either. "Holistic medicine" gets a bad rap imo. Sure there are alot of quacks but that can be said about any medical profession.

jdb2414 - 

Are you in the medical field? Just wondering, because I've tried chiropractors, traction/physical therapy, and acupuncture for my neck injury, and acupuncture is the only thing that felt like I experienced results. Might be psychological, or timing, or a number of other issues, but needles stimulating blood flow to repair damaged tissue doesn't sound unreasonable, but I'm definitely not a medical professional.

and that my friend is called a "placebo effect".

caliphornia - 

08'ers gonna... 11?

acupuncture is not just a placebo. when you have needles stuck inside of your flesh, what happens is, the human body instinctively releases certain chemicals and toxins inside your body, increases blood flow, boosts metabolism, and many other things happen anatomically.

please do not judge something that you clearly know nothing about.

lol @ telling me I don't know what it's about and then not even explaining what it is correctly.

There are no scientific facts to back up any of that mumbo jumbo. If anything, there are studies that show that none of that actually happens. Believe it or not, but not everything out there in the world is all that it's cracked up to be.

Someone embed plz Phone Post