BJ Penn still on the fence on retirement or return

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/5/7/3005565/b-j-penn-strikeforce-gilbert-melendez-next-fight-retirement-mma#storyjump

"It was right after the Nick Diaz fight. He offered me a fight against Gilbert Melendez in Strikeforce. We sat down, we thought about it for a little while and we fought back and forth and it was kind of one of those things where I guess at the end of the day we just thought about it a thousand different ways and we were like, is it downgrading yourself fighting in Strikeforce and if you win the Strikeforce title people are going to say you did it because you couldn't win the UFC title? We just kind of thought about it a thousand different ways and at the end of the day it just didn't make sense to us." 

Ouch for the SF champs.

BJ vs Rory Phone Post

Lol @Manny Phone Post

He will only come back if the fight offered is "to the death"

Great that means if he does come back his motivation will be less than full.

Just retire BJ, if you're flip flopping you are not going to put your all into it.

Penn vs. Alvarez or Gilbert vs. Alvarez?

I can't decide...

rnunz -  Penn vs. Alvarez or Gilbert vs. Alvarez?

I can't decide...

I think of your hypothetical question and I've concluded that my stance is the same as your avatar.

BJ Penn is awesome Phone Post

D241 -   http://www.mmamania.com/2012/5/7/3005565/b-j-penn-strikeforce-gilbert-melendez-next-fight-retirement-mma#storyjump

"It was right after the Nick Diaz fight. He offered me a fight against Gilbert Melendez in Strikeforce. We sat down, we thought about it for a little while and we fought back and forth and it was kind of one of those things where I guess at the end of the day we just thought about it a thousand different ways and we were like, is it downgrading yourself fighting in Strikeforce and if you win the Strikeforce title people are going to say you did it because you couldn't win the UFC title? We just kind of thought about it a thousand different ways and at the end of the day it just didn't make sense to us." 

Makes sense.

Sad to see a guy who once moved up to fight Machida because he welcomed the challenge now shirks a fight with one of the best LW fighters out there.

a win over Gil is HUGE regardless of the org it takes place in imo...

In the same interview(from yesterday's MMA Hour), BJ said that he's not motivated to take another fight right now. Yes, he actually used term "motivated". So as long as that's the case, even BJ Penn fans are probably okay with him turning down the Gil fight, and anything else Dana comes up with on the near future. Phone Post

Cyril Jeff -  
a win over Gil is HUGE regardless of the org it takes place in imo...

People like you and me know this, but thinking in terms of the mass, casual fans included and being a big part of the "mass", many would feel that BJ beat a guy in the lower leagues. I feel El Nino is arguably the #1lw in the world, but looking at the pro's and cons of winning vs losing in this situation, I can't blame Penn for passing on this one.

bad match up for Penn,imo

Carne de cavalo é o melhor - Ouch for the SF champs.

BJ vs Rory Phone Post
I honestly don't think BJ has anything for Rory at 170! He's to big and to strong for BJ!! Phone Post

So its not actually about fighting the best in the world. Its about fighting the within the world of the UFC.

Lets be honest. He didn't take the fight because of his ego.

Authority Figure - So its not actually about fighting the best in the world. Its about fighting the within the world of the UFC.

Lets be honest. He didn't take the fight because of his ego.
Of course it had to do with Ego, BJ Penn is a two division champion who's nickname is the 'The Prodigy', but it was also the best decision for him from a business, career, and personal standpoint. I'm a fan of Gil Melendez, but at the end of the day he signed a contract that perhaps he shouldn't have. Phone Post

Bj owes the UFC , fans , sport nothing and shouldn't be covered in to fighting . If bj fights again it should only be after he calls up Dana and std he wants to fight and is ready to fight , that way we know wer getting the best bj we could possibly get

I'm not a BJ fan but I do respect him. I can totally understand his reasoning for not wanting to go to Strikeforce thus leaving the UFC, it is a step backwards REGARDLESS of the quality of fighters. If you are in Strikeforce you want to go to the UFC, it doesn't work both ways. Strikeforce has created some good fighters but it is a stepping stone.

I agree, BJ either trains well or not well and unfortunately it is usually the latter. If he isn't motivated then it will be less then the latter and I don't care how much skill you have, the hungrier you are the higher your chances of winning is. BJ has not been hungry for a while. He isn't hurting for money. He "thinks" he fights because of competitiveness but I think he forgets what it takes to be competitive and has been falling short due to laziness. Perhaps being a prodigy went to his head. Skill alone does not win fights, but add hunger, intensity and heart; that is a winning combination. Heck you could eliminate skill and fight with hunger, intensity and heart and do well; skill can come later as you train and fight.

I personally think BJ should retire and stay retired. He comes from a family of money and has earned enough to be more than comfortable; not to mention having his own gym. He should now refocus his competitiveness into training up and coming fighters to better them. He would still be in the mix of things and would gain further respect.

Just my 2 cents.