BJ Penn vs. Rory Macdonald: Who Wins It?

fishyfish -

a motivated BJ comes in to box, and clinch, and dirty box, and stay standing, doing pretty well.

Rory staying mostly out of trouble, then BJ slowing down, getting frustrated at not being able to maintain the right distance on Rory.

Rory turning up the heat, and dumping BJ on the ground and controlling him with superior cardio (à la GSP).  BJ trying to grapple, but Rory stifling most of it.  BJ wins 1st round on superior agression, but loses the next 2. 

Rory by decision, 29-28.

I can see that happen but hopefully with a finish for Rory, really hard to predict how bj will come out though, hoping for an epic fight! Phone Post

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
redrum85 -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
redrum85 - Depends also on how good bj's conditioning is, cause I know for a fact that Rory's is at a beast level Phone Post

Which fight are you basing Rory's beast level cardio on? Phone Post

From watching him training Phone Post

Alright that makes sense lol Phone Post

You don't think that in his previous fights he had good cardio though? He dominates all his fights, even his loss to Condit, he was dominating till he got caught at the end Phone Post

fishyfish - 

a motivated BJ comes in to box, and clinch, and dirty box, and stay standing, doing pretty well.

Rory staying mostly out of trouble, then BJ slowing down, getting frustrated at not being able to maintain the right distance on Rory.

Rory turning up the heat, and dumping BJ on the ground and controlling him with superior cardio (à la GSP).  BJ trying to grapple, but Rory stifling most of it.  BJ wins 1st round on superior agression, but loses the next 2. 

Rory by decision, 29-28.

I agree. I predict a 29-28 or a 29-27 victory for Rory.

Knowing BJ's cardio, I can almost guarantee Rory will win the 3rd round 10-9 or 10-8 if it goes to decision.

I'm a huge Penn fan but I just don't know about him fighting at 170, it's always such a question. At least BJ is training with good guys like Pat Healy, Jay Heiron and Josh Thompson.

I have been a since his first UFC fight, have watched every one. But, I think McDonald is the new breed of fighter. He was scary good in his last fight, and BJ is going to rusty. Conditioning and strength will be the difference. And McDonald has St Pierre to help him game plan.

I'd love to see Penn pull it off, but I believe Rory will be too much for him at this point in bis career. Phone Post

BJ is gonna bust him up badly in the first round. If Rory can survive he does have a shot of grinding him down and winning a decision

^ his Phone Post

Penn by motivation

double

redrum85 - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
redrum85 -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
redrum85 - Depends also on how good bj's conditioning is, cause I know for a fact that Rory's is at a beast level Phone Post

Which fight are you basing Rory's beast level cardio on? Phone Post

From watching him training Phone Post

Alright that makes sense lol Phone Post

You don't think that in his previous fights he had good cardio though? He dominates all his fights, even his loss to Condit, he was dominating till he got caught at the end Phone Post

Lol at him dominating Condit. You can make the argument he was barely winning but dominating? Just no. 

And Rabies Penn by bloodlust.

Goderson Silva -
Arecsa - BJ Penn. Rory will not be able to take him down, and BJ will light him up with his superior boxing.

This is what i'm hoping for...

Same Phone Post

I think if BJ comes out aggressive in the first, he could possibly end it, but one has to think Rory can take Penn down in rounds two and three and control him..

I'm rooting for Penn though

Rory

redrum85 - Rory will destroy BJ Phone Post

This Phone Post

@redrum85

He's only been to the third round twice, the one that had a fast pace he got destroyed in the third round. I'm not saying I've seen it as a weak point of his, just haven't seen him as a cardio beast.

As far as the Condit fight goes, I really disagree. Rogan and the crowd influenced opinions that night I think. In the first round, Condit outstruck him 46 (14 sig) to 14 (8 sig). In the second round, Condit outstruck him 40 (23 sig) to 20 (16 sig). Rory had some takedowns in the first round, and got on top a couple times in the second, but did nothing with it. Condit outstruck and out worked Rory off of his back.

I think Condit won both the first 2 rounds. If you go back and watch it again, you'll at least see the first 2 rounds were close, and Condit definitely didn't get dominated. Phone Post

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - @redrum85

He's only been to the third round twice, the one that had a fast pace he got destroyed in the third round. I'm not saying I've seen it as a weak point of his, just haven't seen him as a cardio beast.

As far as the Condit fight goes, I really disagree. Rogan and the crowd influenced opinions that night I think. In the first round, Condit outstruck him 46 (14 sig) to 14 (8 sig). In the second round, Condit outstruck him 40 (23 sig) to 20 (16 sig). Rory had some takedowns in the first round, and got on top a couple times in the second, but did nothing with it. Condit outstruck and out worked Rory off of his back.

I think Condit won both the first 2 rounds. If you go back and watch it again, you'll at least see the first 2 rounds were close, and Condit definitely didn't get dominated. Phone Post

That's cool, just saying he never looked weak against any of his opponents even against a guy like Condit and from what I see, he's a machine in training, BJ better e ready Phone Post

redrum85 - Rory will destroy BJ Phone Post

Correct Phone Post

Some years back I would pick BJ no doubt. I'm not sure what BJ has left in his body or mind at this point in his career, though, so I can't really make a decision.

Replay Bj vs Fitch....but without Bj gassing IMO Phone Post