BJ Penn will train with Jose Aldo for Edgar Fight

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/9/17/4741206/andre-pederneiras-b-j-penn-will-train-with-jose-aldo-for-frankie-edgar

B.J. Penn decided to return to the Octagon to meet Frankie Edgar for the third time in 2014, and he's called an old coach to help him during the 19th season of The Ultimate Fighter.

Nova Uniao’s leader Andre Pederneiras, who promoted Penn to black belt in jiu-jitsu in 1998, revealed to Combate he was invited to be one of the trainers of Team Penn.

"It was a honor to receive this invitation," Pederneiras said. "B.J. and his brother are really close. He is really excited and motivated with his fight against Edgar. It’s going to be a great opportunity for me to show my work as a coach to the audience outside of Brazil, which is not used to see my work closely."

Pederneiras coaches 11 UFC fighters at Nova Uniao, including the champions Jose Aldo and Renan Barao, and his most experienced fighters will be in charge of the trainings.

"Besides my family, I spoke with some of my older students before taking this decision," he said. "They will be responsible for the training, keeping me updated with videos."

Edgar defeated Penn twice in the lightweight division, and decided to drop to 145 pounds after losing his title to Ben Henderson. He then challenged Jose Aldo for the featherweight belt, losing via decision.

Pederneiras wants Penn to train with Aldo at Nova Uniao for his upcoming bout and, according to the coach, the former UFC lightweight and welterweight champion will train for his next fight in Rio de Janeiro.

"We’ve studied Edgar’s game a lot for Aldo’s fight," he said, "so I believe there’s no better place and sparrings better for B.J. to come back in great fashion and motivated."

Awesome Phone Post 3.0

That is a great move for BJ.

Dude, BJ training with Aldo at Nova Uniao would be a scary, scary man.

I always thought one of the biggest things that held BJ back from unlocking his full potential was training at a team that really wasn't up to par with the likes of Tristar, AKA or Team Serra-Longo.

Seems weird... maybe he isn't going for a title run at 145?  The article doesn't specifically say he will end training with Aldo though.

He has fought a couple of his old training partners though.

double

Holy shit. If this really goes down, goddamn this is going to be an interesting fight. Phone Post

Keep in mind, BJ isn't going to Brazil... Brazil is coming to BJ.

Awesome BJ asked DeDe to coach with him on TUF.

I hope BJ really does head to Rio for his camp for Edgar, and smashes Edgar once and for all. He can then retire on a great win. Phone Post

rnunz - 

From the post:

"...the former UFC lightweight and welterweight champion will train for his next fight in Rio de Janeiro."

That would appear to suggest that B.J. is leaving Hilo to train for the Edgar fight.

I bet Frankie will start training checking kicks like a mofo lol ... Phone Post 3.0

I have no idea why a motivated bj penn excites me so much. I love Frankie, but WAR BJ. Phone Post

This is one of the best things to happen in MMA this year Phone Post 3.0

Damn, to be a fly on the wall during that training camp... Would be very entertaining I bet! Phone Post 3.0

Would prefer Alpha-Male, but it's good to see BJ is moving to a real camp where he doesn't get to run it and make it easy on himself.

eXtv - 
rnunz - 

From the post:

"...the former UFC lightweight and welterweight champion will train for his next fight in Rio de Janeiro."

That would appear to suggest that B.J. is leaving Hilo to train for the Edgar fight.

You're right, voted up for the article.

Must have missed it, I think I'm still in shock.

Unless he also consults vitor and ubereems nutritionists this is a great move that's a bit too late.

Tat2tillidie - I bet Frankie will start training checking kicks like a mofo lol ... Phone Post 3.0
Yeah I'm sure BJ is all of a sudden is going to be throwing leg kicks haha. Phone Post 3.0

Phone Post 3.0

Handsome Jack - This is one of the best things to happen in MMA this year Phone Post 3.0
Fuck yeah Jack! Phone Post 3.0