BJJ academies in Sydney?

Ahoy hoy. I am moving to Sydney sometime in the new year. I’m a black belt, and looking for places that have other higher colored belts. I do gi & nogi, and also prefer a place that starts standing.

Anyone here train there or have trained in the past? Any gym recommendations?

Some research is leading me to Legacy, SJJA, or Garage BJJ, but looking for any opinions here. Cheers

Vt1 gym with Liam Resnekov

Sonny brown / Langes BJJ

1 Like

It really depends on what part of Sydney you are moving to. Let me know and I will point you in the right direction.

2 Likes

Did one session at Garage BJJ CBD and it was pretty good. Got two mats, one for classes and one for Rolling. They seem to have a good selection of classes throughout the day, most upper belts look to go to the arvo classes by the look of their Instagram. Pretty chill vibe when I went there for a 7am class.

1 Like

Gui is pretty chill from all accounts, and that flows on to the whole vibe of the academy.

2 Likes

Charles Negromonte teaches in Sydney.
High level competitor, great coach and polite and friendly character.
Would recommend.

1 Like

Yeah totally agree, really depends where you’re gonna live, Sydney isn’t the kind of city you can quickly hop across town in peak hour

1 Like

Thanks, all. Hadn’t fully decided yet where I’d live but was leaning towards living in Paddington/Darlinghurst area on the south side of the bay. I was looking at the few academies that are either near there or centrally located. Seems like lots of good options but no dominant gyms like my old city of NYC where you have a few major players

Thanks for the heads up. I heard about him also and seems to be one of the higher level guys in the city. (He beat Galvão…). Seems he splits between SJJA and Compound Grappling

1 Like

For sure gotta hit up Casa de Porco before I go…

1 Like

Like a few others have said, Sydney is a large city so it will depend a lot on where you’re living. If you’re going to be around Paddington/Darlinghurst then go and see Larry Papadopolous at Boxing Works gym. The man is probably the most highly knowledgeable yet under appreciated instructor in Sydney. He is, amongst other things:

• Former #1 Shooto MMA Fighter when most people here didn’t know what MMA was (he fought Ken Shamrock)
  • 3rd degree BJJ Black Belt
  • Accredited FILA Referee and has reffed at events such as the Commonwealth Games
  • Grappling Coach to several professional football teams including the Sydney Swans AFL, Sydney Roosters NRL, NSW Waratahs (Rugby) and Australian Rugby 7s.
  • The long-time coach of this very biased poster :slight_smile:

His website is www.boxingworks.com.au

Oh, and if you’re keen for a trek you’re welcome to come visit little ol’ me in Cronulla - www.scjja.com

1 Like

Awesome. That’s an old school Pancrase name I recognize. I’ll def see if I can make it down to Cronulla soon or later!

1 Like