BJJ belts have to go

There's far too much ego surrounding belts in BJJ. I've seen upper belts get really fucked up not wanting to tap to lower belts, and lower belts gloating about tapping upper belts. If you're a higher belt training at a different school you're going have dirty shit pulled on you.

Think about the concept of belts… You walk around with a symbol around your body that tells everyone else how good you are at the sport. lmfao… 

And if you think "well in tournaments you have to go against people of relatively similar skill levels." Fine. But what is wrong with having "beginner, intermediate, expert". In fact, that would actually increase the amount of people in each division. 

I think the "belt ego" is also the main reason people quit BJJ. As a white belt you have nothing to lose, it’s all improvement and any time you get tapped out it’s to people who have trained longer and know more and are considered "better" and when you tap them out they find it a huge acomplishment. Once they get to blue belt you really see the ego come through, especially when a white belt taps them and they don’t return to the mats. 

But I get it… How would affiliations function if belt promotion was dependent on attending a 2-day, $180 seminar. People want to get to that "next level" and pat themselves on the back by someone else subjectively telling them what level they think they are at. 

Ego would be there regardless of belt.

some people just don’t like losing.

if someone isn’t tapping because of ego, let bjj do it’s job and humble him.

if you’re concerned about not injuring a teammate who has ego, via a arm/leg lock, then just let it go.  Otherwise it’s your ego in play as well.

the belts don't make the ego ... they just make it douchey. imo - the belt system helps retain students - so its better for business. With that said - people that need an external motivator (such as a belt) to stay in a sport probably won't get very good anyway. so maybe thats where the belt attitude comes from

I agree. Belts are dumb. No belts in wrestling, boxing, muay thai, sambo. They all do just fine, and people respect other people’s skills, not their belt.

I used to disagree but I think you’re correct. It’s hard to run a gym without belts though. 10th planet does is right. You get a belt but you don’t wear it. The constant reinforcement of your rank isn’t there during class etc. so I think guys are more willing to tap because nobody really can tell. 

I think the biggest problem I have with belts is the attitude that some have that a belt=ability to coach teach etc or as if it is a status symbol. 

I have noticed quite a few fb posts where instructors will say only a black belt should be coaching a tornament, or if you're not learning from a black belt then the teaching is inferior. 

BUT very few black belts have put any time in learning how to teach or studying different methodologies/modalities for doing so. 

The belt is a recongition of experience, but it really means nothing more than that. 

I'd love to see the abolishment of stripes.  

triforce -

There's far too much ego surrounding belts in BJJ. I've seen upper belts get really fucked up not wanting to tap to lower belts, and lower belts gloating about tapping upper belts. If you're a higher belt training at a different school you're going have dirty shit pulled on you.

Think about the concept of belts… You walk around with a symbol around your body that tells everyone else how good you are at the sport. lmfao… 

And if you think "well in tournaments you have to go against people of relatively similar skill levels." Fine. But what is wrong with having "beginner, intermediate, expert". In fact, that would actually increase the amount of people in each division. 

I think the "belt ego" is also the main reason people quit BJJ. As a white belt you have nothing to lose, it’s all improvement and any time you get tapped out it’s to people who have trained longer and know more and are considered "better" and when you tap them out they find it a huge acomplishment. Once they get to blue belt you really see the ego come through, especially when a white belt taps them and they don’t return to the mats. 

But I get it… How would affiliations function if belt promotion was dependent on attending a 2-day, $180 seminar. People want to get to that "next level" and pat themselves on the back by someone else subjectively telling them what level they think they are at. 

How long have you been training op?

hmm

Belts give pupils something to strive to. Something to aim for. It keeps them coming back every week. It’s like a video game - you put in lots of hours so you can “level up”. But you’re already right about the ego thing.

In Japan in judo there are white belts and black belts. There’s no in between. A black belt symbolizes that you have come to grips with the basics. It’s akin to having a blue belt in BJJ.

I've been tapped by lower belts at every level. I return at a later time, refocused and determined -really determined- to reverse the silent score that most won't admit is kept. No dirty tricks, just a mindset that tells me I must tap said person next time. Yes, I'm a horrible human being. Part of the "problem" is I don't decline rolls with anyone, so I take my chances, but I won't have it any other way. 

People quit BJJ because it is hard. Most people want instant gratification and aren't willing to put in the physical and mental effort.  If someone quits because they got hurt there is a lesson there to learn. If they don't come back they didnt have an open mind and never will.   

If someone has an ego and won't tap they don't respect their opponent or their own body.   

I have a friend who has a doctorate and now just got his black belt.  He said it took him twice as long to get the black belt and meant twice as much to him. 

I agree the sport would be better without the belts. The idea of being a black belt in boxing seems ludicrous and the sport thrives without a belt system 

I have recently stopped giving belt ranks.

Some students really didn't like it and several quit.

I think belts are pointless and cause more problems than they're worth: ego, belt shopping, belt selling, people wearing "fake" ranks etc. Plus SO many gyms here in Southern California have jumped on the McDojo train and are giving BJJ belts with absolutely no standards whatsoever. Enough's enough! No more stupid belts!!!

Instead, I have started awarding blue, purple, brown & black sashes. 

Way better, IMO.

If you feel you have to prove yourself to a lower rank then you have ego issues. Apart from BJJ those people will be douchebags in everyday life anyway. For me the belt symbolizes the work and sacrifice I’VE put in. At my age I know younger lower belts are perfectly capable of kicking my ass and I’m fine with that. I think it’s awesome and I can only learn from them.

shen - 

I think belts are pointless and cause more problems than they're worth: ego, belt shopping, belt selling, people wearing "fake" ranks etc. Plus SO many gyms here in Southern California have jumped on the McDojo train and are giving BJJ belts with absolutely no standards whatsoever. Enough's enough! No more stupid belts!!!

Way better, IMO.

Seems like sashes would be more stylish.   I think I speak for us all when I point out once again shen seems to be expanding bjj, this time in a very fashion forward manner.  

paw -
shen - 

Way better, IMO.

Seems like sashes would be more stylish.   I think I speak for us all when I point out once again shen seems to be expanding bjj, this time in a very fashion forward manner.  

Does a sash also have a cummerbund effect? Will my gut look smaller?

I aw a guy fight Royce once who had a red sash on.  He didn't look like a red sash though, skill wise.

deepu - 
paw -
shen - 

Way better, IMO.

Does a sash also have a cummerbund effect? Will my gut look smaller?

Sashes get rid of politics --ever hear of someone "selling sashes"...? Nope.

They also, yes,  have a slimming effect AND they add an element of elegance which only silk or satin can provide.

Plus, in a pinch they can be used to dress up a plain, casual outfit for evening wear --and they don't take hours to learn how to tie --just thow it on and go!

Perfect rank system, IMO.

Hume and Paulson have it right. Colored t shirts to indicate rank.

graciesrule - Hume and Paulson have it right. Colored t shirts to indicate rank.

That's cool, I guess... if you don't mind looking like a random hobo.