BJJ Brown Belt Demo

Big congrats to Jimmy DaSilva on an excellent brown belt demonstration! I was fortunate enough to be joined by my instructor, Professor Roy Harris and Professor Anibal Lobo on this memorable day. One reason for doing these demonstrations is to inspire those watching to keep training and reach for the next level. Enjoy! 

I love watching these vids! Good stuff!

Wow...I remember when he got his purple (the vid you posted). I think he was the first of the belt demo videos you posted, right?

Congrats!

Andre,

You're exactly right.  His purple belt was the first demo vid I made.  That was 2 years ago and I'm pleased with how Jimmy has continued to evolve his game.  

And I sent you a PM!

Roy Dean -  Andre,

You're exactly right.  His purple belt was the first demo vid I made.  That was 2 years ago and I'm pleased with how Jimmy has continued to evolve his game.  

I'm curious. What kind of changes are you looking for in the jump from purple to brown. To me it just looks like they're doing more moves.

Testing for blue seems like a good idea just to make sure everyone has the fundamentals down, but after that what's the point of testing?

Genuinely curious.

Congratulations to you both Roy.

nice

Awesome video. I like the demonstration as part of the test

Calibur1980,

Good question!  What I'm looking for from purple to brown is confidence and pressure.  The big leap in BJJ is from blue to purple, linking techniques into combinations.  Purple to brown is more about refinement, and how you deliver those combinations.  You should have a slow and tight game as well as a fast and loose one.  

These are all optional demonstrations, not tests.  When I feel a student is ready, I'll give them the option of simply receiving the belt in class or doing a demonstration of skill.  Most opt for the demonstration, so they can share the experience with family, friends, and their training partners.  The energy in the Academy on these days is really unique.

I always dig these vids...

Very impressive.  Congrats to Jimmy!

That was an awesome vid. I found myself really cheering for Jimmy. Thanks Roy.

That video rocks. Congrats Jimmy!

I can't get enough of your vids. Congrats to the new brown.

these videos always put a smile on my face.

"These are all optional demonstrations, not tests. When I feel a student is ready, I'll give them the option of simply receiving the belt in class or doing a demonstration of skill. Most opt for the demonstration, so they can share the experience with family, friends, and their training partners. The energy in the Academy on these days is really unique."

Hey, that's a really cool idea!

why did he scream toward the end? 8:20
exhaustion? the infamous roy harris pressure?

awesome and congrats to teacher and student

that was really fun to watch... congrats to him on his promotion...

great vid

Roy,

By the way, what would you guess is the percentage of your students who elect to do the demo versus the percentage that just take the belt?