BJJ Brown Belt Demo

chris colquitt - why did he scream toward the end? 8:20

exhaustion? the infamous roy harris pressure?

awesome and congrats to teacher and student

Yes, that was a dry heave from Mr. Harris' pressure.  Not a scream, actually an involuntary reaction!

Bolo,

I would say 90% of the people opt for a demonstration.  They want the challenge!

The demo is like a voluntary "test" and 90% of the people choose to do it. I think that is very interesting and I am curious of such an option was given at all schools if the percentage would be just as high.

Very cool!

Is Roy Dean a giant? Looks like 6'8

the move he does at :20 seconds, isnt he supposed to trap the back of his opponents right leg/foot foot with his left leg/foot?

I think I remember his purple belt video and he neglected the trap as well

ttt

These video's are awesome! And congrats to Jimmy..the guy is extremely smootht! Roy Dean is an awesome instructor, I'm envious of the guys who get to train with him face to face!

Pretty cool video- I like Roy Dean, he is cool as a cucumber man. I bet that guy can slow down a freight train real smooth. Mr. Harris has some killer top pressure- shit the guys moves an inch to the right and next thing you know he passed the guard.

TTT

HuntingtonPUNK - Is Roy Dean a giant? Looks like 6'8

He is roughly 5 foot 90.

Roy Dean -  Calibur1980,

Good question!  What I'm looking for from purple to brown is confidence and pressure.  The big leap in BJJ is from blue to purple, linking techniques into combinations.  Purple to brown is more about refinement, and how you deliver those combinations.  You should have a slow and tight game as well as a fast and loose one.  

These are all optional demonstrations, not tests.  When I feel a student is ready, I'll give them the option of simply receiving the belt in class or doing a demonstration of skill.  Most opt for the demonstration, so they can share the experience with family, friends, and their training partners.  The energy in the Academy on these days is really unique.

It's good to know the "tests" are optional. I'm not surprised that most do it. Here is the opportunity to show off without scorn and risk of embarassment/loss.

I was just asking about the testing thing, because I felt BJJ was pressure based and if it were than I didn't know how you would be able to recognize and test for correct pressure unless the guy was actually demonstrating the moves on you personally.

I have seen higher level tests done and they seemed lame. You have to pay your teacher to demonstrate moves that anyone can read from a book.

Typically something like

5 butterfly guard sweeps.
3 DeLaRiva Sweeps
4 Flavor of the month sweeps
etc.

Glad to see that you have a different approach to testing.

ttt

twinkletoesCT - 
HuntingtonPUNK - Is Roy Dean a giant? Looks like 6'8

He is roughly 5 foot 90.

He's 5'9? He looks a lot taller..I too thought he was like 6'4-6'6 from his videos..lol

Your videos are always inspiring to watch and are a standard I aspire to in jujitsu. I have added them to my favorites on YouTube! and watch them when I want a kick in the pants! Thank you!!!

Roy is 6'2".

chris colquitt - why did he scream toward the end? 8:20
exhaustion? the infamous roy harris pressure?

awesome and congrats to teacher and student

That Joe Moreira taught pressure!!

Ed Keller (RIP) and Moreira 3rd Deg. dished out the same involuntary screams in his inexcapable side mount.

Love the vids!

very nice !!

where's the other part of the "test"
you know the one I'm talking about, the gauntlet. why aren't they on the dvd?

HuntingtonPUNK - the move he does at :20 seconds, isnt he supposed to trap the back of his opponents right leg/foot foot with his left leg/foot?

I think I remember his purple belt video and he neglected the trap as well

iirc, in a roy harris video, he felt this version was better for most and the trap was not necessary as it made it more difficult for most to do the second hip movement properly/the correct distance.

Your a good teacher Roy.

I like the way you roll with your students. Not the fact that you roll with your students, but the WAY you roll with your students.

Also, I know Anibal... Does he teach in your general area...? (Sorry, I am not familiar with your neck of the woods).