BJJ Gear?

Did a search, didn't see a thread like this one.

I'm going to be starting BJJ for the first time in a few months after I'm able to quit one of my jobs, and I know next to nothing about what I'll need going in. I'm sure I'll need a mouthguard, cup, etc...but I don't know anything about reliable brands, which gear is the best in an affordable price range (not exactly rich), that sort of thing.

So can anyone give me some recommendations on:

Mouthguards?

Cups/Jocks?

Gis?

Anything I might not have thought of that I'll need?

I know there are a LOT of different brands and models out there, and I have no idea where to start. Any advice would be appreciated!

Under armor or any off brand like that will be good enough to roll in with a pair of gym shorts that have no pockets.

1 Like

what size are you? some gis fit different body types better.

vegard - what size are you? some gis fit different body types better.

I'm 5'11, pretty fat as of right now, but I won't be able to start until December at the earliest and I'm aiming to have lost most of the weight by then. I want to show up in at least halfway decent shape my first day in the gym.

A gi is probably my lowest priority on the list though, as I'm sure the gym will be able to give or sell me a gi to start out in until I find one I'm comfortable with on my own. My biggest priority is finding the right mouthguard and cup, as I know next to nothing about them aside from the brands I see in various online stores (Shock Doc, etc). Someone recommended Fight Dentist, but said they were expensive. I'm willing to spend as much as I need to, but I don't want to spend hundreds of bucks on a mouthguard if I don't really have to. I've read opinions that vary from "The expensive ones are worth every penny" to "My $5 walmart boil n bite works just as well."

Same goes with cups. The opinions I've read on comments and reviews on online stores just seem to run the gambit. Some prefer jocks, some prefer compression shorts, some use both...I've never worn a cup in my life, so I have no idea where to start with that, much less what would be comfortable to roll in.

get the shock doctor boil and bite for now. If you like it and intend to continue then look into something better if you want.

Same story with pretty much your whole list.

BJJ and grappling in general are great activities but they are not for everyone. No sense in spending much money before you know if you enjoy it or not.

my opinion anyway.

1 Like

You don't need any of that stuff.  Just go to the gym and learn.

If protective gear is going to be useful, then it will be evident once you get some mat time in (if your nuts are getting hit, then buy a cup.  if your chin is getting banged around, then get a mouthguard).

Some gyms require a gi.  Some high recommend one.  You probably don't need one for your first day, so don't worry about it, but that is the first thing which I would look into buying.  Each brand uses different sizing, so know your measurements and look at the sizing charts.  Keep in mind that Gis will shrink under heat (in the wash/dryer), so buy big and shrink it down.  Don't go nuts with your first gi.  Just buy something basic.  IIRC, HCK makes a single weave for like $65-$75-ish.

Some people like wearing a shirt under the Gi.  As someone else mentioned, off brand underarmour works well.  Wal-mart sells some cheap stuff that works fine.

But you don't need any of that.  You will learn just as much rolling in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.  This way, if you don't like it, then you didn't waste a bunch of money on gear.  If you do like it, then you can get the gear which you need later, and you will have a better idea of what to get.

1 Like

I just bought a shock doctor cup and compression shorts.

I hate it.

The cup is always shifting and moving around and I wind up just taking it out.

I still have and am going to buy another cup that I got from Combat Sports International. Its a longer,thinner cup than those that they sell in a typical sports store.

I find that to be most comfortable.

As for mouth guards, which I rarely wear the shock doc is good enough for me.

I dont box too often and dont really find one necessary for just bjj.

all of it.

make sure you get a lucky gi.

lol

Kisujede - 
vegard - what size are you? some gis fit different body types better.

I'm 5'11, pretty fat as of right now, but I won't be able to start until December at the earliest and I'm aiming to have lost most of the weight by then. I want to show up in at least halfway decent shape my first day in the gym.

A gi is probably my lowest priority on the list though, as I'm sure the gym will be able to give or sell me a gi to start out in until I find one I'm comfortable with on my own. My biggest priority is finding the right mouthguard and cup, as I know next to nothing about them aside from the brands I see in various online stores (Shock Doc, etc). Someone recommended Fight Dentist, but said they were expensive. I'm willing to spend as much as I need to, but I don't want to spend hundreds of bucks on a mouthguard if I don't really have to. I've read opinions that vary from "The expensive ones are worth every penny" to "My $5 walmart boil n bite works just as well."

Same goes with cups. The opinions I've read on comments and reviews on online stores just seem to run the gambit. Some prefer jocks, some prefer compression shorts, some use both...I've never worn a cup in my life, so I have no idea where to start with that, much less what would be comfortable to roll in.

Invest in a good mouth guard!! Fuck those shock doctors and all those shitty mouth guards. People who say those are fine are the same assholes on the mats that are always taking the damn things out and holding them in their hands while they are talking, resting, etc. It's really fucking annoying. Get a custom one...you put it in at the beginning of class and take it out when you are done. You're not the dickwad spreading your mouth-funk all over the place, and your teeth will thank you in the long run. A custom mouth guard is very comfortable to wear so you will end up wearing it more. No question thay it is worth the 80-100 bucks that it will cost you.

2 Likes

I think a person's mouth funk is the last thing I'm worried about at the gym lol

Foundation - I think a person's mouth funk is the last thing I'm worried about at the gym lol

So it doesn't bother you when someone takes out their mouthpiece holds it in their hand, gets slobber all over the place, then puts it back in and proceeds to put their hands on your face, head, etc.? To each their own man but it's not my thing, so if you are going to be rolling with me you best keep that shit in your fucking mouth.

Also...What is it that you ARE worried about?

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I do at least have tons of time to think about it all. In the end, I may just wait until I start and see what the instructors recommend as well and go from there. But if anyone else has any other suggestions, certainly keep them coming.

Shockdoctor cups suck! Mine was always shifting and moving around. I'm sure I looked awkward always adjusting it in class.

I recently bought a Bike cup from Big 5 sporting goods. Fits in my compression shorts just as good, but feels much more comfortable.

Kisujede - I want to show up in at least halfway decent shape my first day in the gym.

One suggestion that may/may not be more useful than anything gear related - I can't remember ever really seeing anybody show up to their first day 'in shape', or close. And that includes heavy runners, bikers, marines, football players, etc. (though recently active wrestlers generally are in good shape). I think this stems from different definitions of in shape between bjj and the public - as most people gauge being in shape as being able to run on a treadmill for a long time.

Moreso than getting any piece of gear, I would suggest to you to start doing a lot of body weight exercises - and PUSH YOURSELF HARD, because you will be pushed way harder in class. Start working towards 50 body weight squats each day. Same with pushups, jumping jacks, burpees (though they will be hard if you are very overweight), etc. If you can only do 10 of anything - so be it - keep doing 10, and do 3 more in 5 minutes if you can. I came into BJJ having rode 30 miles cycling every day for months beforehand, thinking I was in shape, and was fairly surprised at how in shape I was NOT. Even many months after I started, I still hadn't started really respecting body weight squats. But when I started doing them daily, even after having some grappling experience, they helped improve my game TREMENDOUSLY. Anyhow, that's just my 2 cents - wish I'd been suggested that before starting myself :)

1 Like

Also, anybody able to suggest a good 'soft' cup? Or do they even make them? Those hard ones are just... not my bag. I'd like some more groin protection, but I can't even concentrate on rolling with those ridges pressing into my inner thigh and whatnot.

DueceDroppin - 
Foundation - I think a person's mouth funk is the last thing I'm worried about at the gym lol

So it doesn't bother you when someone takes out their mouthpiece holds it in their hand, gets slobber all over the place, then puts it back in and proceeds to put their hands on your face, head, etc.? To each their own man but it's not my thing, so if you are going to be rolling with me you best keep that shit in your fucking mouth.

Also...What is it that you ARE worried about?

I'm worried about bacterial infections from the mats, just like anyone else. I don't really pay attention to where people's hands have been before/during class time. Sometimes I take mine out and put it behind my ear, never really considered it to be offensive to anyone before.

gogojeffa - 

Start working towards 50 body weight squats each day. Same with pushups, jumping jacks, burpees (though they will be hard if you are very overweight), etc. If you can only do 10 of anything - so be it - keep doing 10, and do 3 more in 5 minutes if you can. I came into BJJ having rode 30 miles cycling every day for months beforehand, thinking I was in shape, and was fairly surprised at how in shape I was NOT. Even many months after I started, I still hadn't started really respecting body weight squats. But when I started doing them daily, even after having some grappling experience, they helped improve my game TREMENDOUSLY. Anyhow, that's just my 2 cents - wish I'd been suggested that before starting myself :)

Awesome, thanks so much for the advice. I've mainly been focusing on cardio (to get the weight off), but I'll definitely start incorporating some of this into my workout if its going to help me be less of a paper weight on the mats early on.

You should go to Elite Sports and check out their products. They are providing all the essential gear needed for the BJJ training. Their prices are very affordable. The quality of the products is fantastic.