Bjj in Birmingham, AL?

I'll be in Birmingham on Monday. Any legitimate places to train for a drop in? Not very familiar with the area but I'll have a car and willing to drive 20-30 mins if necessary. I'm a brown belt.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Chris Connelly Spartan Fitness/Straight Blast Gym in Homewood

Chris Mize Heroes BJJ Trussville

Both quality guys. Can't go wrong with either.

Spartan Fitness for sure. 

Spartan fitness

Bump

Triad Martial Arts in Cullman (north of Birmingham). Daniel O'Brien is the best jiu Jitsu guy in Alabama. Well worth it. 

Spartan

Spartan/ Chris Conolley  or Chris Mize for sure 

Damn, B'ham has bjj now. I used to live in Pelham. I remember being 16  years old in 1998 & choosing to go live with my mom in Florida because there was a bjj school near her and none in AL at the time. 

Bham has a lot of good mma schools. I live about an hour from there and can't make the drive which sucks because there's no mma/bjj around me.

Drive an hour and a half north for 10th Planet Decatur. 

If you are looking to roll a bit, and focus on BJJ for a drop in session/visit you may want to consider

http://www.graciebarraalabama.com/index.php

Call and ask if the class will be set up in a way you are looking for.

All the recommendations so far have been good, but my guess is this place will have multiple BJJ classes in a row where as some of the others may have an hour of BJJ preceded and followed by MMA and or striking.

Not sure if that makes sense, but if a guy was from out of town and wanting to roll/maximize BJJ mat time this may be an option.

Now if you were wanting to bang bro, the SBG affiliate Spartan without a doubt.

I am not talking about which school is better etc, but rather thinking about someone in your position from out of town and it sounds like you want to drop in maximize your mat time, chance to roll a bit etc.

williepep - If you are looking to roll a bit, and focus on BJJ for a drop in session/visit you may want to consider

http://www.graciebarraalabama.com/index.php

Call and ask if the class will be set up in a way you are looking for.

All the recommendations so far have been good, but my guess is this place will have multiple BJJ classes in a row where as some of the others may have an hour of BJJ preceded and followed by MMA and or striking.

Not sure if that makes sense, but if a guy was from out of town and wanting to roll/maximize BJJ mat time this may be an option.

Now if you were wanting to bang bro, the SBG affiliate Spartan without a doubt.

I am not talking about which school is better etc, but rather thinking about someone in your position from out of town and it sounds like you want to drop in maximize your mat time, chance to roll a bit etc.

Thanks man, VU! My MMA days are behind me... just doing bjj now...not that there's anything wrong with just banging bro... 

Thank you.

Let us know how it works out.

Grimey - 

Damn, B'ham has bjj now. I used to live in Pelham. I remember being 16  years old in 1998 & choosing to go live with my mom in Florida because there was a bjj school near her and none in AL at the time. 

Incorrect.

At that time, there was a BJJ place in Homewood (Steel City Fitness, where I first took BJJ from Trey Beasley), a ShootWrestling gym in Pinson (Chris Mize ran that one before he went to Trussville), and a Sombo club in Hoover (Chris Magyar was my Sombo coach!!).

In addition, Chris Connolley and Jimmy Cuneo were also running a boxing/JKD/BJJ club.

All you needed to do was look in the phone book.

Grimey -

I'm from Pelham. They've been around as long as I can remember. Just had to really search them out in late 90s early 2000s

To be fair, weren't most of the "BJJ" or grappling places from that time frame people training from instructional tapes ?

Not all but most.