Bjj in Boston.

Hi I have a student who is moving to Boston (Woburn area. I think?). Can anyone recommend a top quality Bjj school in the area with a quality youth Bjj/grappling program. 

Thanks. 

There's a good bjj school right in Woburn. It's a Boston BJJ affiliate run by Jimmy Delorfano who's a BB under Roberto Maia.

If he's a little further up rt128 he may want to go to Wakefield for Travis Stevens

If he's up rt3 headed towards New Hampshire, then I'd recommend TriumpBJJ in Nashua

if he's a little further south around the lexington exit... then Mass BJJ in Arlington is a good call.

I know Bernardo Faria was planning on opening a school in Bedford but I don't even know if it's open yet.

For MMA Mark Delllagrotte Sityodtong Boston Somerville)

There are also a bunch of New England United affiliates throughout the greater Boston area. NEU is run by 5th degree black belt Dedeco who is right under and best friends with Liborio. NEU is always crushing it in the local tourney scene and when Ibjjf comes to town.

Bernnnnardo

I train at an NEU affiliate so definitely recommending any of them. Dedeco is great and so are all of his black belts that I’ve met. 

Not in Boston, but just incase he finds himself slightly towards the coast, Marcio Silva runs a school called Xcel in New Bedford that I drop into when I am in the area visiting my girlfriend. Can't say enough good things about Professor Marcio and his students. Good training, super friendly and hospitable, and currently building a HUGE new facility from the ground up.

I'll be trying out Bernardo's school as soon as it is open as well. But it is very hard to find updates on, and seems like he is out galavanting around teaching seminars right now.

Donthe Florian dithers still running a place there? I took a few classes from Bernardo when I visited MGA in NYC before and he was very good and incredible friendly.

LMK86 - 

Donthe Florian dithers still running a place there? I took a few classes from Bernardo when I visited MGA in NYC before and he was very good and incredible friendly.

Only Keith Florian. Kenny has his own school in Cali

kennyfrommd -

Not in Boston, but just incase he finds himself slightly towards the coast, Marcio Silva runs a school called Xcel in New Bedford that I drop into when I am in the area visiting my girlfriend. Can't say enough good things about Professor Marcio and his students. Good training, super friendly and hospitable, and currently building a HUGE new facility from the ground up.

I'll be trying out Bernardo's school as soon as it is open as well. But it is very hard to find updates on, and seems like he is out galavanting around teaching seminars right now.

Marcio is great. One of the better seminars I've been to, and one of the few where the instructor showed good takedowns. 

cheesesteak - There are also a bunch of New England United affiliates throughout the greater Boston area. NEU is run by 5th degree black belt Dedeco who is right under and best friends with Liborio. NEU is always crushing it in the local tourney scene and when Ibjjf comes to town.

I dropped in on Dedeco this past summer and was impressed with his guys.

I’m an oldish black belt, and when I travel, people tend to want to test themselves. (I can’t complain, because that used to be me).

I don’t always feel like rolling like it’s the damned mundials, frankly, especially when visiting a new gym – too much room for injury spazzing out with spazzes I don’t know/trust.

His guys actually understood what “let’s go a bit easy today” means. Even when I caught a couple, they didn’t ramp it up, they just got right back into the roll. At the same level of intensity.

There was no doubt in my mind they had another gear available to them, and no doubt they actively chose not to engage it.

It’s rare to find that, and speaks well of the culture at his gyms.

Oh, and I found them to be technical as well :slight_smile:

In Woburn - Boston BJJ and Fenix BJJ in North Woburn. Small Circle Jujitsu school has a good kids program, but not BJJ

Wilmington - Iron Clad Martial Arts

Arlington - Mass BJJ

Wakefield - Pedro/Travis and Defensive Edge