BJJ in Chicago

I'm going to be moving down to Chicago in September for college, specifically in the Lincoln Park area, and I need to find a new academy. I've been training twice a week for about 18 months now, and would like to up my training time a bit (3-4 times a week I think, maybe more, we'll see how it goes).

I've done some searches and there are obviously a lot of quality schools with high level instructors in the area, so I guess I'm looking most for a place w/ a flexible schedule and a great training environment. Anyone know any schools I should absolutely check out? Schools to stay away from?

Thanks in advance. 

John checkout chicagomma.com I teach a class there! Very positive vibe. I also live in Lincoln park Phone Post 3.0

John M - 

I'm going to be moving down to Chicago in September for college, specifically in the Lincoln Park area, and I need to find a new academy. I've been training twice a week for about 18 months now, and would like to up my training time a bit (3-4 times a week I think, maybe more, we'll see how it goes).

I've done some searches and there are obviously a lot of quality schools with high level instructors in the area, so I guess I'm looking most for a place w/ a flexible schedule and a great training environment. Anyone know any schools I should absolutely check out? Schools to stay away from?

Thanks in advance. 

What are your goals in bjj? Are you looking to compete? Self defense?

In the area: Valko is in River North and is a great guy.

Mack the Knife is in Wrigleyville near addison, just north of Boystown. Also a super nice dude.

Chicago mma as was stated upthread, but I never trained there.

Izao Reyes was in River West last I heard, which may be ok for you depending on which area of Lincoln Park you are in.

Serafin bjj is near northwestern- no idea if thats where you'll be. Super nice guy to train with when i passed through for work a few years ago Phone Post 3.0

Windy City - 
John M - 

Thanks in advance. 

What are your goals in bjj? Are you looking to compete? Self defense?

Honestly, I do it because I love it. That being said, I've always been interested in competing, but I don't exactly live in area that's conducive to it. I do think it's something I'd like to pursue though.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will check out all these places. BTW I'm going to DePaul, to give you an idea of my general area.

John M - Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will check out all these places. BTW I'm going to DePaul, to give you an idea of my general area.
Redzovic has a location on Lincoln Ave right near the DePaul campus.

Check out places near you and see how easily accessible these places are by public transportation (assuming you are a college student without a car). Phone Post 3.0

There is no one to really stay away from in the city I would say. Go for convenience and schedule. 3 miles is far away in the city Phone Post 3.0

I'd recommend Valco Ju Jitsu. Jay is a stand up guy (as in trust worthy), sick jj, but has really good Judo and wresing.

I'm not too familiar with the other schools in the area, however. Phone Post 3.0

Jay Valko also is a UG member.

http://valkobjj.com/

Valkos is a great school. I switched from another school a few months ago and have enjoyed every class. Tough, but friendly environment. Great instruction and also mixes in more takedowns than a lot of other schools. Phone Post 3.0

I also train at Chicagomma.com. I've been there a few years and love it. But definitely make your rounds. They'll all let you drop in and get a feel for the class structure and environment. Most places are easy to get to by public transportation too.

Redzovics near, Misho(bad spelling sorry) a Renzo BB is nearby. Carlson Gracie is in Logan Square. Mack the Knife in Wrigleyville. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks for the kind referrals, guys. Valko BJJ is 3 train stops away from DePaul and a less than 10 minutes drive. I used to live right off the Armitage brown line stop and could be at the academy very quickly. Definitely feel free to come by and try out a free class when you're in Chicago, we also have a large open mat on Saturdays with visitors coming in all the time.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to answer them.

--Jay Valko