BJJ in Germany?

Please GOD tell me there´s some sort of grappling school in Augsburg, north of Munich, here in Germany. Contact details would be greatly appreciated!

I´m on vacation and am jonesing for a roll!

Cheers!

joe

Joe,

I don't know if there's grappling in Augsburg, but I suspect that with a city of that size it
should have some judo.

If you are willing to travel to Munich, then there's definitely judo there. Check out www.judo.de.
I'm pretty sure there's no real bjj in Munich, but I think that Michael Grüner (do a google search
on him) may have some basic classes. I haven't visited his school in about 4 years though, so the
info may be dated...

If you describe your level of experience, I might be able to suggest a location or two in Munich
that would suit your needs.

HTH

Thanks for the answer!

I´m a blue belt, 195 lbs (87kgs), 6"2 (188cm). Looking for a friendly roll. I haven´t rolled for over a month now, and I can feel the rust starting to pile on!

I can probably make it to Munich, but I´m leaving on monday -- any weekend classes?

Judo would be more than fine, assuming there´s at least some grappling.

Will check back!

Thanks again!

Joe

www.Kampfkunst-Training.de

Das stimmt!!!

Joe there was just a big BJJ tournament in Neureid.

I live in Hohenfels close to Regensburg and Nurnberg. Maybe we can meet up.

Hmmm...

No schools in Munich? My wife was just there and loved it!

What would be the logistics if you were trying to open a school as a non-German national? Would it be difficult? Thanks

"What would be the logistics if you were trying to open a school as a non-German national?"

I assume you're talking BJJ or MMA. They would be difficult, even without visa issues.

Consider the fact that Germans in general do not have a fighting culture. Judo is accepted. Boxing is considered brutal and not followed with great fascination, and MMA is considered barbarian. If you do judo, you'll have a hard time differentiating yourself from judo. In MMA, the prevailing attitude towards the sport would be cluelessness followed by horror once they figure out what you do. (The UFC is unheard of here, and you have to order tapes from Anglophone or other countries.) Your customer base would consist of a few kids, maybe some N/S Americans who pass through, and lots of Eastern Europeans/refugees who, because of recent world events, may be psychological mixed bags.

Consider also the fact that it's impossible to find cheap space anywhere close to convenient public transport. If you do find space near convenient public transport, your school will be really small. If you don't, you'll alienate a good fraction of your client base.

Consider also the fact that Germans have grown up to expect different types of learning. Every class I've ever taken in Germany -- be it KB, MT, boxing or judo -- involved the instructor showing a move or two to a group and the class trying to imitate but not internalize, with little to no questioning from the students whatsoever. BJJ/MMA thrives with openness,and the people I've seen prefer to learn by rote with no creativity or imagination.

Then there are visa issues. If you're EU, you can do what you want and have only the hurdles mentioned above. If you're American, you have less barriers than others. If you're from anywhere else, it gets progressively tougher fast.

I forgot language issues. While Germans have all learned English in high school, not all can function with it, though almost all will try. Many of your potential base -- East European immigrants or political refugees -- will speak none at all and broken German at best.

I mean to be informative here and not negative. The above are just the thoughts I've had while agonizing about the fact that I can't find a good school here. One of my dreams is that a good school would open up where I live. I believe, however, that there are better pickings for good instructors elsewhere. The nicest thing would be for some entrepreneuring spirit to prove how wrong my opinions are!

Peace

Thanks Mind's eye. Very interesting. I am American. I thought the language barrier might be difficult, but I may be taking German soon (concentration in BJJ phrasing:-) I don't see the learning style preference as that much of a hindrance to overcome (might even be helpful for absolute beginners). The openness from which you speak is essential, I agree, but I also think that can be taught.

Interesting that you speak of lack of German interest though. If you go by Roy Harris' forum, he seems to speak very highly of the openness of the German culture to BJJ (I am talking BJJ here). I think he is even establishing resources in German on his website.

A University program might be able to solve some of the space resource issues.

I have overcome some obstacles to set up my program where I live. If we do end up in Munich, I hope to prove you wrong.

Thanks again for your insights.

All I can tell you is: Germans today are soft. They like Tae-Bo and some soft stuff but not real fighting.

We have a lot of wrestling clubs here but mostly russians, persian guys, etc. train there.

I live here and teach BJJ and I´am part German, part russian and sometimes it drives me crazy that everyone just want the easy stuff.

Take care
Björn
www.Kampfkunst-Training.de

Bjorn, you are the Roy Harris affiliate in Germany correct? Very cool. Do you find you have a lot of interest for Roy's seminars? Do you have a lot of people in your own classes? How far are you from Munich and Liepzig? I might be there next year and would like to train with you guys if possible.

http://www.graciebarra.de/

@owenz

The seminars with Roy getting bigger and bigger because he is so technical and people understand how less they know.

I don´t have so many guys training but most of them are motivated.
Munich is about 200 miles away and Leipzig about 300 miles.

Shure we can train. We had a few guy from the USA here in training over the years.

Take care
Björn

I heard a Behring representative will be setting up a club in Germany within the next couple months. If I can find out the exact location I'll post it.