BJJ in the Prison...

Elverdugo - when you say "that rape shit is just in the movies or if you like to touch little kids" do you mean you will get raped if they know you assaulted little kids?

Never use your guard in prison.

... Unless you have no choice in the matter.

Chokeyou, to answer your question... no we cant use "anything" on inmates without repercussions. We have the discretion to utilize force at one level above the amount of resistance received.

In the cases I told about, each of these inmates were "assaultive" and because of that we could use force equal to and one level above that.

Given Marvin's size, strength, and history, he could've been shot by the other Deputies in the area, and would've likely been cleared in the ensuing investigation.

If an inmate assualts me, I am authorized to use punches, kicks, etc, to protect myself. However, the minute he stops fighting and becomes compliant, I am expected to de-escalate my force levels too.

I cant keep unloading left hooks on him because I'm pissed that he hit me. Once he stops fighting, I have to also.

Am I explaining this well? If you aren't following this, let me know and I'll type out our guidelines verbatim.

Thanks for the story Chadk

obviously, having inmates think you're a band mothafucker is important to being a prison guard.

Do NOT pull guard in the shower room.

FatBuddha, yes if anyone finds out you where squesen some ity bity tity, you will be someone's bitch. but that is only in state pens. because in state you get prosesed in to the prison by other inmate workers so when you hit the yard everyone knows who and what you are. there are some fuckup guys in there but 75% of them have kids and that kind of crime has zero tolrince in the joint.
chadk I beleave your a C.O but your storys are bullshit, someone doing 8xlife will never see a weight pile or other inmate. he'll be in a max with 23hour lock down and,,,,, well you know what was bullshit and what wasn't.

"obviously, having inmates think you're a band mothafucker is important to being a prison guard."

Well, again... I'm a Deputy not a prison guard. Also, having a reputation as a bad ass can be the proverbial "double edged sword".

Most inmates will leave you alone if your reputation is such, but there will always be those who are looking to make a name for themselves. What better way than taking you on?

If they win, they get instant credibility, and if they lose... hell, that Deputy was a "bad motherfucker" anyways right? He'd still get props for having the balls to try.

Another thing that you have to worry about is that the inmate will come at you with a weapon, because he's worried about your abilities.

I am NOT a bad motherfucker by any means. I can beat most untrained people who are close to my size, age, athletic ability ect, but that's only because I've trained more than most.

I do not discuss my training with or around the inmates, even though some know I do train. Other Deputies or inmates who've seen you work will talk about it, and I cant control that, but I usually deny it or try to downplay it.

Finally, I've worked in this field for a long time. I will always talk to the inmates like men (or women), at least as long as they act like one towards me. You get a lot more cooperation and respect when you give some (respect) back. I'm all for avoiding trouble as long as is possible.

Unfortunately, this isn't always possible. Some people are bad, and will not learn, nor cooperate unless they are forced to (they are arrested for a reason generally). It's guys like this who ensure that I'll occassionally get to add another story to my memories.

"someone doing 8xlife will never see a weight pile or other inmate. he'll be in a max with 23hour lock down and,,,,, well you know what was bullshit and what wasn't."

Good point, but he wasn't originally sent to prison for 8 murders. The story I relayed from the other inmate was certainly from his early days, after his initial sentence.

Since then, he's been tied to others and he'll generally admit to the deed once they've figured out he was the one who did it.

He is now totally segregated from the other inmates in prison, but primarily because he was sexually assaulting, and in at least one case, killed another inmate.

That's part of the reason he made a rush at Jim Bacon. Despite the fact that Colorado does have the death penalty on it's books, they've not used it in years. Marvin has no desire to spend the rest of his life in total isolation. He's only in his 40's.

He said that he wanted the death penalty, and he thought that if he killed a Deputy that he might get it. (After this last murder conviction, he was given another life sentence btw)

I've asked why do they bother bringing him out of prison, to try him on all these murder charges, when he's already serving multiple life sentences. Why bother if they wont kill him? And why put the CO's and the Deputies who have to transport and deal with his ass at greater risk?

They always say that it clears the cases and that the surviving family members get closure this way. Too bad they couldn't hook up a video feed and do it that way, but he has the right to face his accusers, and we get paid to deal with psychos like this.

well, I must say out of all the deps. I know you have got to be one of the most stadle one yet, your a good guy.stay safe.

mike

I've always enjoyed the prison movies like American Me, Shawshank Redemption and so forth. It really shows what survival is about. Master P came out with another movie about jail, supposedly really good called Jungle something...anybody seen it or know the complete title?

Anyone see that Van Damme movie where they made the prisoners fight for contests? It takes place in Russia.

There were a couple of nice throws in it and Van Damme bites some guy's neck out.

Otherwise I'm not sure it had a plot.

That one with Sylvester Stallone is good too, especially the football game. "LockDown" I believe was the title.

Wasn't he also in "Tango & Cash" and they went to jail there too?

That's him alright. He's about 340lbs now I'd guess and has shaved his head since that article was written. He resembles a bigger, crazier version of Tank Abbott now.

Chad do you work out at Grapplers edge? If so, say hi to Koble for me.

chadk...thanks for the stories. Dealing with animals like that is a tough job. Keep up the good work.

Gary Hughes

Halz, yes I do train there and I will say hi to Eric for you.

SPK, thanks.

Gee, what a charming looking guy. You'd never expect something like that from him.

Go figure.