BJJ needs leadership right now

I’m an IBJJF guy but...IBJJF Where you at?

bjj schools, tournaments etc are gonna be on the very bottom of the list of public health officials priorities.  The BJJ community needs an entity working proactively on behalf of school owners advocating for special assistance and developing safety protocols for when we can open back up again.  If academies are shut down long term, longer than other businesses,  they need someone advocating for small business assistance programs to keep them alive.  

IBJJF, you’ve been collecting academy fees for along time.  What are you doing to support your academies right now?

1 Like

This is my whole issue with they IBJJF; they have nothing to offer the majority of the BJJ community.

3 Likes

I feel in this case, they aren't obligated, but it would be in their best interest to advocate for the survival of BJJ schools, big or small

shen - This is my whole issue with they IBJJF; they have nothing to offer the majority of the BJJ community.

I’m not gonna blame them for not being prepared for this.  But I really think they have a responsibly to start advocating for and advising their members well being 

Easters - 
shen - This is my whole issue with they IBJJF; they have nothing to offer the majority of the BJJ community.

I’m not gonna blame them for not being prepared for this.  But I really think they have a responsibly to start advocating for and advising their members well being 

I agree.

They probably don't have a "solution", but at least be a presence, in some way.

Covid Fro -
Easters -

What are they going to do?

You're asking a governing body of an industry that cannot function to save that industry... how the fuck they gonna do that?

Even the federal government can't simply give people cash until this goes away, well, without total economic collapse that is, so what can anyone do to help current school owners other than advocate for the students who can still pay their monthly to keep doing so?

Well just off the top of my head - create a web page with resources to federal aid, what to do if a student tests positive, disinfecting tips

but most importantly form a task force to advocate (shit, just call it lobbying) for the security of their schools we’ll being.  Use their resources to be in the ear of public officials so they can open up ASAP.  It’s gonna be SO easy for the government to say “no way Jose” to bjj schools becusee of the contact.  They need doctors on their side advocating for them and developing realistic safety protocols for when they can open again 

2 Likes

Free webinars for how to find different ways to stay afloat ( zoom online privates, match breakdowns , etc)

They probably don't have enough funds to lobby at a federal level to get help. To be honest, if you went to a micro level there probably isn't really that much tax money from bjj gyms in comparison to all other industries to really move the needle in city governments to get assistance. 

The BJJ community owes everything to Carlos and the IBJJF. 

Covid Fro -
cyberc92 -

They probably don't have enough funds to lobby at a federal level to get help. To be honest, if you went to a micro level there probably isn't really that much tax money from bjj gyms in comparison to all other industries to really move the needle in city governments to get assistance. 

That and then you have to overcome the political view of what bjj is-an mma skill  that only brutes and those with toxic masculinity engage in.

Libturds won't want to help because they want all combat sports... all male sports really, to disappear.

Trumpturds won't go for it because they are all of the trump/gingrich/limbaugh/hannity variety who are such pussies they want combat sports to go away because it makes them feel inferior.

Niether group of ideologues is going to want to support saving bjj and the small number of people in those groups who train aren't even close to enough to move the needle.

What about those 10k small business loans? Aren't those supposed to help the exact people we are talking about here: school owners?

Yes but my understanding is that all of the money is used up at this point. Please correct me if I am wrong about that though. The virus is going to eliminate some schools and some schools will still remain. The schools that remain will be those who had sufficient funds through either running lean or owners who have primary jobs to earn income. Those gyms will end up getting additional students from the gyms who will unfortunately have to close their doors.

I understand that we all love training but it is a microsm of what is going on and I doubt people outside of our little niche community really gives a shit about bjj, mma, boxing, or whatever at this point. People are trying to not foreclose, feed their families, find out ways to home school their children etc. This isn't me trying to be callous but just being real about the situation at the moment. We all know if schools don't open up by the summer that it could be catatstrophic so our hope is that another bill passes to keep people afloat but as you pointed out in an earlier post that won't continue to happen forever.

Fast Pitch -

Really??? I agree they have played their part in the development of Jiu Jitsu but am not a fan personally as I don't feel they do enough or have the best interest of the art at heart...

I agree with the initial idea of this post that Jiu Jitsu needs som enew leaders or at least some key people to step up and lead especially during these crazy times!

1 Like

there should be a $1200 ibjjf stimulus cheque being sent out to all academies that pay those fricking dues brah!!!!!

signed by carlos gracie jr of course.

Sport England (national body for sports) is offering funding to help support sports clubs. Even though BJJ is not officially recognised by Sport England, funding is available for them because the leading UK BJJ association (UKBJJA) worked with SE to get BJJ included.

Every few months there's a discussion here or on Reddit about the IBJJF not being a proper governing body, and there's always a large number of people saying "who cares, I just want them to run comps". The example above is why a proper governing body is important - They are your lobbyists to get your sport recognised, to get funding, to represent you when you need a voice.

James

1 Like

It brightened my day to think about the IBJJF losing money. They are probably thinking of ways to charge individuals more for annual registration to make up for list tournament dues.

I think it would be useful if someone game out with an option to present to local govenments here in the US when it comes time to reopen.  Similar to how restaurants  here are advocating by saying "these are the precautions we are taking and this is how we will keep customers safe, let us reopen pretty please"

All gyms need a thermometer.  People need to be cleared before entering the building not before they get on the mats.  Of course everyone sanitizes arms and hands prior to getting on the mat.  Mats obviously need to be cleaned.  Maybe add more if necessary and tyr to limit it to 10 people on the mat.  My gym was about to roll that out where you used the app to sign up for a and once a reached 10 you needed to pick a different time or day.

All these things wont eliminate risk but they can help.  I am not an expert and maybe these are all terrible ideas.

Felipe Grez -
Fast Pitch -

Really??? I agree they have played their part in the development of Jiu Jitsu but am not a fan personally as I don't feel they do enough or have the best interest of the art at heart...

I agree with the initial idea of this post that Jiu Jitsu needs som enew leaders or at least some key people to step up and lead especially during these crazy times!

I think your sarcasm detector is broken. Or I just suck at posting. Probably the latter. 

onyx2002 -

I think it would be useful if someone game out with an option to present to local govenments here in the US when it comes time to reopen.  Similar to how restaurants  here are advocating by saying "these are the precautions we are taking and this is how we will keep customers safe, let us reopen pretty please"

All gyms need a thermometer.  People need to be cleared before entering the building not before they get on the mats.  Of course everyone sanitizes arms and hands prior to getting on the mat.  Mats obviously need to be cleaned.  Maybe add more if necessary and tyr to limit it to 10 people on the mat.  My gym was about to roll that out where you used the app to sign up for a and once a reached 10 you needed to pick a different time or day.

All these things wont eliminate risk but they can help.  I am not an expert and maybe these are all terrible ideas.

Yep these are the things gym owners need to be thinking about.  

a small bright spot, in trumps plan for reopening yesterday “gyms” are listed in phase 2 (phase 2 meaning after SIP is lifted and 4-8 weeks showing no resurg).  You’re still supposed to social distance but maybe BJJ schools can just tell their local officials “oh ya, we’re totally social distancing in here.  Nothing to worry about”.  But it’s really up to the states anyways

Easters - 
onyx2002 -

Yep these are the things gym owners need to be thinking about.  

a small bright spot, in trumps plan for reopening yesterday “gyms” are listed in phase 2 (phase 2 meaning after SIP is lifted and 4-8 weeks showing no resurg).  You’re still supposed to social distance but maybe BJJ schools can just tell their local officials “oh ya, we’re totally social distancing in here.  Nothing to worry about”.  But it’s really up to the states anyways

Where do you see timelines of 4-8 weeks? Also, the guidelines I just saw say strict physical distancing for gyms during phase 1 and 2 and does not lift physical distancing protocols until phase 3. I am curious as to what timelines they suggest for phase 1 and 2 to last for best case scenario but it wasn't stated.

Not really adovacting one way or another but I don't know a lot of gyms that will be able to simply reopen after 8 more weeks or longer

Sir Taps - 

Sport England (national body for sports) is offering funding to help support sports clubs. Even though BJJ is not officially recognised by Sport England, funding is available for them because the leading UK BJJ association (UKBJJA) worked with SE to get BJJ included.

Every few months there's a discussion here or on Reddit about the IBJJF not being a proper governing body, and there's always a large number of people saying "who cares, I just want them to run comps". The example above is why a proper governing body is important - They are your lobbyists to get your sport recognised, to get funding, to represent you when you need a voice.

James

The example is why a proper governing body is important, but that doesn't have anything to do with the IBJJF. Unless the IBJJF is preventing a proper governing body from existing, how is it their responsibility that there isn't one for bjj?

If you think it is that important for bjj to have a governing body, then why not work to create one instead of looking at the ibjjf to do it? As far as I know, they have never made any promises to create one that handles the responsibilities that you listed.

They are a company that runs bjj tournaments. That's it. Nothing wrong with that.