BJJ over 50

I'm 48 train mainly gi. I roll no gi more in the summer. I only compete in gi however, as I don't have a wrestling back ground and the gi slows things up for me.

I enjoy nogi but harder for me to pull guard, more likely to get slammed and heel hooked!

I'm also nearing 50 slowly (26 years to go) and this thread is an inspirational read!

ttt for fossile-bjj!

Gray hair Jiu-Jitsu rules..........

I'll be 58 in June. Just went purple last October and it inspired me to lose more weight and get in better condition. Last night two guys in their twenties just gave out sparing with me. Then I ran laps around the mat for a while.

Yeah the injuries are a bitch. I hurt all day; but, there is that glorious zone about thirty or forty minutes into sparing when I'm loose again. When I'm there, I can move the way I want and press the action. My joints feel smooth and there is no pain in the zone. I get home, take my pills and ache all over the next day.

I love it!

Benzo is my teacher and friend and it's always a pleasure to train with him. You want humbling? Try tapping to a guy twice your age, half your weight and then hearing him telling you stories about Vietnam..

That's the beauty of BJJ.

Hey guys, I'm turning 40 and need some help. I'm a 4 stripe purple belt but my guard game is under developed. the guard is one of the prime positions of bjj and I know I need to get my guard up to continue to advance.

But, it seems like the guard is so high energy. For the older guys with an advanced guard, what do you think is the most low energy guard play that I should focus on?

I have short, thick legs and can't keep a closed guard. There is the x guard, the de la riva guard, the spider guard, the butterfly guard (which I probably play the most)...etc.

Any suggestions would be great on developing an advanced, low energy guard.

ttt

ttt

My friend Jim Terleki trains out of Next Level BJJ in Youngstown & he is 68.

benzobrace
- not trying to blow smoke up your ass but your post has inspired me !!

"Benzo is my teacher and friend and it's always a pleasure to train with him. You want humbling? Try tapping to a guy twice your age, half your weight and then hearing him telling you stories about Vietnam..

That's the beauty of BJJ. "

Frikkin' great post! :)

I have another question for the over 50 guys. How many of you do
tournaments and what division do you prefer to compete in?

I would prefer to compete in the 50+ (although I never have) now that NAGA is around,& had planned to do so at the Arnold's,before I injured my shoulder.

The last time I competed in the 40's I made sure I called around & lined up some other guys before I paid my money.

I've competed in the 30+ at some of the larger events & the open at some smaller ones,put I'd still like to try my hand at the 50+,especially since I have slowed these last couple of years & it would be great going against someone my own age.

Mike Brown of Tinguinha was just awarded his Black Belt at 47ish. He is a tough SOB. I don't see it changing any with in the next 10 years.

Remember to have fun! I'm 41 and I get my ass kicked by a 67yr old BB in Judo/Purple BJJ. Every night that I'm tired after work or come up with some lame excuse not to train I think to myself, he's 26yrs OLDER than me!! A true insparation.

At age 67 he inspires me and I am 50. I am hoping that I will still be
training at that age.

Lets keep this thread going.

ttt

That is inspiring!

Rooster: Have you ever worked from a sissors position with the idea of making it an open guard attack for you. With your short thick legs, you can clamp on the guys hips and control his sleeves so that he can't back out and then work to take his base away or sub him.

ttt

another 40 year old checking in. 3 year Blue aiming for the next step up. Keep on rollin'