BJJ over 50

gaittec, it seems that when I go scissors with good guard passers, they back out or stand up...I'm thinking x guard and de la riva is going to be my focus for the next year.

When Pedro Sauer showed this variation to us, he locked his instep and heel on the guys hips while holding sleves to prevent the back out. Then he reacted with an attack depending on how the guy tried to move. I don't have the whole game down. Just thought you might try it out.

What ever you go with, have fun and I know you will get where you want.

Google up Diajone....

My coach got his black belt from Diajone and says, even in his late 40s....you can tell he had spent a life on the mats and is amazing.

Diajone is a Gracie Barra Black Belt.

I'm a Bluebelt and will be 50 in about 9 months. My knees tend to bother me and I don't have the stamina that I used to have but if I relax and pace myself I give blues and alot of purples within 30 lbs of my size a pretty hard time. I also seem to have retained most of my strength throughout the years.

That brings up a good question. As you get older how do you feel that you are doing? How are the knees, hips, etc... Do they hurt more? What do you do to keep going?

Unless you have a serious injury, the knees, hips, back, etc. seem to come and go. Last year (at 56),
I was worried I had hit the wall. It seemed like I hurt all over all the time and was dreading the time between classes because of the pain. I got down to one class per week for about six weeks. Lately, I feel like I can wear out (endurance wise) almost anyone. I trained pretty hard (rolling one or two hours) eight out of the last eleven days. And I'm looking forward to tonight. There is about 30 minutes every class when I feel really good physically. I love that 30 minutes.

check out paul greenhill's site, hes a Lloyd Irvin Black Belt.

www.ihateyoungpunks.com

My muscles are less sore after a couple years at blue belt, I assume because my technique is better. Use to have sore elbows, shoulders, wrists, muscles. I do have a lot less cardio as I get older, however. (48 yrs old).

Does anyone have any physical problems? You know, lungs, heart, etc...

Shoulder problems have plagued me the last three years.

They started me on cholestrol medicine,then it was blood pressure,& then thyroid medicine,all of which have fatigue as a side effect. Im scheduled for a stress test next month.

I just keep teaching,although my ability to roll has been greatly reduced as of late. My health was something I always took for granted until this last year or so. Getting older isn't easy when there is so much more you want to do,but I guess it beats the alternative. When I start to feel sorry for myself,I don't have to look to far to find so many others that are much worse off. Not many that are my age are able to do what I still do,& most that are my age think I'm nuts,including most friends & relatives.

There is no time of the day that I feel better than when I'm training.As long as your having fun,keep training as long as you can.

I was diagnosed with Diabetes couple of years ago, not sure how much that screwed up my Cardio and how much is age. But I had no cardio for awhile, 'till I got my blood sugar stabilized. Not taking any medicine yet.

Herniated disc, had to work open guard 6 to 9 months because I couldn't be stacked, open guard is good, going back and working on closed guard now.

I myself have only use of half of my diaphagram, I live with a lung that is partial colasped, I take meds for my cholestrol and high blood pressure and I have a stint placed. I teach and train in Jiu-Jitsu and Kickboxing. I teach Karate to the kids and teens. The older I get the more I notice that I am slowing down just a little.

I am 50 and have been training in Martial Arts for nearly 34 years. I am also a BJJ purple belt.

I'm 36 but you guys are very inspiring. I love learing from guys that have been there and like to share the wisdom they have gained. Keep it up guys. You are definately inspiring.

There are a lot of guys on here that are top notch. I love hearing about the ones who are over 60 and still training and kicking butt. I just hope that when I am there age that I will still be able to do the the same.

Let's here it for the old guys.......

As a current student of Rdragon and as a future medical professional it is great to see what person at his age can do. (Not that being 50 is a bad thing) It sets an excellent example for us younger folks to stay active and stay in shape. FYI I am 6'4 and 290lbs and his guard frustrates the mess out of me! very humbling!

ttt for BJJ over 50

Very inspiring. Just started BJJ 6 months ago at 43. Best decision ever (not counting getting children, and such). TTT for GBJJ

The good thing about Jiu-Jitsu is that this is something that no matter
how old you are you can still train. You may not be able to go as hard
as the 25 yr. olds, but you can still do it.

Thanks Roidz Rule, you are the man... See you when I get back from
the Pride fights.....

How many of you over 50 crowd compete in tournaments? What division do you compete in?

I will compete in Brad Hatcher's next tourney in some category. The older brackets are usually pretty thin. I am getting close to 58 (June) and am a 4 mounth purple belt. Right now it looks like I'll have to give up 50 or 60 pounds to a 40 something Brown Belt named Jeff. He is a super nice guy and may not crush me too much if I whine a little.

I'm hoping for more older guys to enter. If we can't get up a good bracket, I may fight in the regular adult group
at 175 lbs. also.