BJJ players who are great at wrestling?

Who are some of the top BJJ players turned wrestlers in submission grappling (and to a lesser extent MMA) today? And how did they develop said skill sets?

Damien Maia is the one who comes to mind right away. He isn’t a great pure wrestler, but he found his way to two excellent shots for MMA - his deep head inside and head outside singles. It wasn’t great pure wrestling since he didn’t really finish right away. Instead, his deep shots forced a “grappling” match and even if he landed in half guard, he found his way to top position.

Jake Shields wrestled, but is mainly thought of as BJJ player. His wrestling is very good.

People like Tonon have found ways to make wrestling work for them, but they aren’t ‘great wrestlers.’ But they have functional takedown skills.

Buchecha isn’t a great wrestler, but he is so strong that he hulk smashes people to the mat.

In general, you’re more likely to find wrestlers with high level BJJ than BJJ players with high level wrestling.

^ yep. I could name some ex wrestlers that are now pretty damn good at bjj

^^I might come back and write a long post on why wrestling–> BJJ is probably easier than BJJ–> wrestling. But I’ll start by saying the transition is easier.

The school wrestling season is just wrapping up here. All the kids who wrestled are coming back to our kids’ jiujitsu and wrecking the kids who didn’t wrestle. Ha!  

wiggum - ^^I might come back and write a long post on why wrestling--> BJJ is probably easier than BJJ--> wrestling. But I'll start by saying the transition is easier.

I’d really like to read this if you get around to it. I always enjoy your perspective

King Trav -

The school wrestling season is just wrapping up here. All the kids who wrestled are coming back to our kids’ jiujitsu and wrecking the kids who didn’t wrestle. Ha!  

Marcelo Garcia would make a toy out of all those Wrestlers. Like he did with Shields, Askren, etc.

But yes I agree. Wrestling is an amazing discipline

wiggum - Damien Maia is the one who comes to mind right away. He isn't a great pure wrestler, but he found his way to two excellent shots for MMA - his deep head inside and head outside singles. It wasn't great pure wrestling since he didn't really finish right away. Instead, his deep shots forced a "grappling" match and even if he landed in half guard, he found his way to top position.

Jake Shields wrestled, but is mainly thought of as BJJ player. His wrestling is very good.

People like Tonon have found ways to make wrestling work for them, but they aren’t ‘great wrestlers.’ But they have functional takedown skills.

Buchecha isn’t a great wrestler, but he is so strong that he hulk smashes people to the mat.

In general, you’re more likely to find wrestlers with high level BJJ than BJJ players with high level wrestling.

This list is good. I may also add Andre Galvao

Jclover123 -
King Trav -

Marcelo Garcia would make a toy out of all those Wrestlers. Like he did with Shields, Askren, etc.

Well, they are children. I’d hope Marcelo would do ok vs them. 

Few, but I’m sure many BJJers will mention a bunch.

But those names will be added by BJJers - who know very little about wrestling. Most fans and BJJers incorrectly think that wrestling is having a few doubles and single while woefully ignoring the sheer variety of takedowns, control ties, turns, breakdowns, and par terre wrestling which is as deep and complex as the guard is to BJJ.

It’s like fish talking about other fish they know that can climb trees very well.

I’m not sorry if my facts hurt your feelings. Deal.

ausgepicht - Few, but I'm sure many BJJers will mention a bunch.

But those names will be added by BJJers - who know very little about wrestling. Most fans and BJJers incorrectly think that wrestling is having a few doubles and single while woefully ignoring the sheer variety of takedowns, control ties, turns, breakdowns, and par terre wrestling which is as deep and complex as the guard is to BJJ.

It’s like fish talking about other fish they know that can climb trees very well.

I’m not sorry if my facts hurt your feelings. Deal.

Doesn’t hurt my feelings at all, what’s the best way for a novice level BJJ player (who’s still young) to really maximize his wrestling capability within the confines of BJJ and even outside BJJ?

King Trav -
Jclover123 -
King Trav -

I mean, he did make grown men look like children on the mats.

King Trav -
Jclover123 -
King Trav -

I'll redirect my question to you, what do you think is the best way for a junior/novice BJJ player to really amp up his wrestling capability?

Uhtred...

Wrestle. Even in bjj. If your club has the room, start on your feet and force yourself to wrestle. Don’t pull guard. Wrestle them to the ground or wrestle them to try to not get taken down. 

King Trav -

Uhtred...

Wrestle. Even in bjj. If your club has the room, start on your feet and force yourself to wrestle. Don’t pull guard. Wrestle them to the ground or wrestle them to try to not get taken down. 

Do you think someone can develop solid fundamentals by simply constantly trying to force the take down and shooting during BJJ class?

Can you recommend any YouTube channels or maybe outside help that can help out my BJJ game?

And thanks man, you're always a help.

Uhtred Ragnarson -
King Trav -

Uhtred...

Do you think someone can develop solid fundamentals by simply constantly trying to force the take down and shooting during BJJ class?

Can you recommend any YouTube channels or maybe outside help that can help out my BJJ game?

And thanks man, you're always a help.

Does your training school have any wrestling classes/coaches? Take some dedicated classes just for wrestling and practice what King Trav said: work for takedowns and control, none of that flopping and pulling guard. You are still young so you can develop a good skillset in wrestling that will supplement your BJJ.

wiggum - Damien Maia is the one who comes to mind right away. He isn't a great pure wrestler, but he found his way to two excellent shots for MMA - his deep head inside and head outside singles. It wasn't great pure wrestling since he didn't really finish right away. Instead, his deep shots forced a "grappling" match and even if he landed in half guard, he found his way to top position.

Jake Shields was a wrestler long before he was a submission grappler. He did very well in competitive wrestling. He outwrestled Hendo when they fought years ago. 

Aldo jumps to mind. Started as a bjj player, TDD like nobodies business.

I cant remember his name. Blond European fella, came over from bellator to ufc couple years ago. Marcin is his last name i believe, could be first. He is a bjj player and has decent wrestling. He got screwed on decision on his first ufc fight.

Chadderz - Aldo jumps to mind. Started as a bjj player, TDD like nobodies business.

And a good blast double.