BJJ sponsorship letter?

After class last night, a few of us were talking about competing in the Pan Ams. We live on Long Island, NY. The biggest issue for all of us is the costs involved with travel, lodging, registration, etc. to make the trip to CA. I thought about trying to obtain sponsors or local businesses to donate funds to the cause.

I'm left wondering if what we're looking for is more of a handout than a sponsorship?? We're looking at soliciting the local mom and pop businesses in the community for their support rather than large commercial companies.

Anyone know of a standard form letter seeking sponsorship / donations?

Any ideas or suggestions????

Thanks!

"I'm left wondering if what we're looking for is more of a handout than a sponsorship?? We're looking at soliciting the local mom and pop businesses in the community for their support rather than large commercial companies. "

It would definitely be a handout in that case. I dont know how their sponsorship of you guys would benefit their bottom line at all. I wish you the best, though...

Well, we could offer advertising at the academy, free introductory lesson to their employees, patches on our gi's at the local tournaments etc...

Maybe a bake sale???? ;)

Ahh...that's a good idea. I hadnt considered that. I thought you would simply wear their patch 3000 miles away! ;)

A few ideas on how sponsoring you could benefit small businesses (read: ANY business where you can talk to the owner directly):

1) Offer services to them or their employees at below market rate (this is basically marketing, not sponsorship). Does your gym have any exercise equipment? Any "fitness" classes? Etc etc

2) PR from local press (if you live in small town or have smaller news publication). "XYZ company sends local athletes thousands of miles south to compete in pan american championships." Favorable articles about a company pull between 300-1200% better response than similar sized ads... so if it's a full page article about the copmany sponsoring you, it'd be worth 3X-12X where X is the price of a full page ad.

3) You could offer an endorsed mailing of their product/service to your schools list... Basically, for $1,000 and them paying the mailing costs, you'll mail everybody who does business with you, tell them about how generous this company has been in their sponsorship, and how you've started using their product/service, and think they should give it a try too.

Those are off the top of my head, there are a million more.

Thanks velt!

ttt