BJJ Student Wins $46 Million … Paralyzed

*“While practicing with Iturralde, Mr. Greener was placed in the turtle position — a position where a person is balled up on all fours with his face down on the mat. If an opponent is in a turtle position, the goal should be to safely put that person on their side known as “taking the back.” Instead, while positioned on top of Mr. Greener, Iturralde crouched on the balls of feet, pinned Mr. Greener to the mat, immobilized Mr. Greener’s left arm, and then launched himself up and over his opponent placing his entire bodyweight on Mr. Greener’s neck. The extreme force of the maneuver crushed Mr. Greener’s cervical vertebrae causing the student to fall limp, paralyzed in all extremities.”

4 Likes

Thats horrible and stupid.
But the shitty bjj instructor doesnt have anywhere close to 45 million.
Kid will be getting 400$ a month mmaybe if hes lucky.
Tragic

10 Likes

I would imagine insurance would be covering this but how do they even come to that number?

2 Likes

Judgements of this size are ridiculous. That aside, if you are participating in a sport where there is inherent risk then you put yourself at inherent risk and thus should not have lawsuit recourse.

4 Likes

Bullshit. If you’re a complete newbie showing up to your first class your safety is in the hands of the instructor, especially if he is rolling with you.

17 Likes

That is scary…

I would be really interested in seeing EXACTLY what this move was. It’s not clear from the description.

Reality is, people are different and something one person can shrug off can seriously injure another person. Humans can be both very tough and very fragile, in proportions we can’t really know.

6 Likes

I wonder if he was swinging over for an arm bar….

Go to about 3:27 in this vid, it’s what came to mind right away reading the description.

5 Likes

I know it starts to say -wind up inside control, but it sounds to me like the teacher was on top of the guy and then did a somersault over the kid while hanging onto the kid. finishing taking the student’s back by somersaulting and pulling him with you??

Watch the video I posted

1 Like

I wonder if it was taped and if not how it was proved.

2 Likes

I doubt the insurance cap is even close to that number. Maybe a mil at the most.

the 23-year-old student began his training that day under the direct tutelage of DMJJC instructor, Francisco Iturralde.

He wasnt just a fucking white belt!

I had just assumed maybe a coach greenlit a new student. Very curious what went down.

I can only imagine a Leo Viera style rolling back take where the guy extended his head and faceplanted instead of tucking his head…

You have to be really careful demonstrating shit on white belts- I once had a guy in an omoplata, just holding the position, and I said “just roll over your shoulder” - dude rolled over the far shoulder at the absolute worst angle he possibly could and nearly tore his own arm off.

TLDR- White belts are stupid AF.

6 Likes

No…the instructor was a dumbass

1 Like

Did he sue the instructor or the business or both?

Sounds like the Leo Viera back take to me.

Screen_Recording_20230331_024837_YouTube_1

Yeah this, except from seatbelt.

Weird thing to show on or do to a new person. I always make people do forward rolls as the warmup when I teach that. Tori and uke both need to know how to do safely imo. Unless it’s a new guy wrestler being a douchebag

I wonder if the coach was an Orlando Sanchez type and the paralyzed guy was a super pencil neck?

My 2 cents: sounds like a potentially shitty instructor but he shouldn’t be at fault.

1 Like

This is from Rener Gracie……
……

2 Likes

Fuck Rener “ the expert witness”. I guess the other BB doesn’t pay into his association.

4 Likes