BJJ vs Luta Livre-1984/91 No Relson?

The 1984 challenge was Renan Pitanguy vs Eugenio Tadeu won by Tadeu by tko

Marcelo Behring vs Flavio Molina won by Behring by TKO

Fernando Pinduka vs Marco Ruas was a draw

1991: Wallid Ismail defeated Tadeu

Fabio Gurgel defeated Denilson Maia

Murilo Bustemante defeated Marcelo Mendes

both Bitetti and Behring fights were scratched.

Why didn’t Relson who was called champion and undefeated for all those years not fight?

I think Relson was too old to even be considered, at least for the 1991 challenge. I don’t know the ages of Tadeu, Denilson Maia, and Marcelo Mendes… but all the Gjj representatives were in their early to mid 20s.

I think all the fighters in the 1984 challenge were similar in age and physical size. I think Relson was too old and small to be considered for either challenge.

Btw, you can see Relson as well as other Gracies and even some Machado brothers in audience in both challenges.

By 91 Relson had been living in Hawaii for years. All three of the guys on the 91 card were full time bjj athletes at the time. Top competitors and training with the best guys at the top academies every day. You dont pull a guy off the beach to represent the team when you have guys like Busta, Walid, and Gurgel. 

84, it's well known that Relson was more interested in partying than seriously training. Maybe he had cleaned up his act by then, I dont know. 

Relson has no documented vale tudo fights that I'm aware of. And besides the one from GiA 1 when he was a youngster, theres no record of him fighting anybody except for street fights. You dont put a guy like that as your representative.  

vids?

m.g - I think Relson was too old to even be considered, at least for the 1991 challenge. I don't know the ages of Tadeu, Denilson Maia, and Marcelo Mendes... but all the Gjj representatives were in their early to mid 20s.

I think all the fighters in the 1984 challenge were similar in age and physical size. I think Relson was too old and small to be considered for either challenge.

Btw, you can see Relson as well as other Gracies and even some Machado brothers in audience in both challenges.

I did read he was being considered for the 84 challenge, he was 31. 91 he was 38, a year older than Rickson when he fought in Japan Vale Tudo 1995. Rickson would of been 42 if he had fought Sakuraba in 2000.

graciesrule -
m.g - I think Relson was too old to even be considered, at least for the 1991 challenge. I don't know the ages of Tadeu, Denilson Maia, and Marcelo Mendes... but all the Gjj representatives were in their early to mid 20s.

I did read he was being considered for the 84 challenge, he was 31. 91 he was 38, a year older than Rickson when he fought in Japan Vale Tudo 1995. Rickson would of been 42 if he had fought Sakuraba in 2000.

He had been living in HI for several years by 91, he moved there in '88 I believe. I think that ruled him out. 

From Wikipedia. This explains the '84 fights. The 91 event I still think he was just too old and living in Hi away from Rio. 

"Relson trained Rickson for both events in anticipation of fighting Zulu himself, but Relson later acquiesced to Helio's wishes for Rickson to make his debut as the Gracie family champion."

From Wikipedia

chief123 - 

From Wikipedia. This explains the '84 fights. The 91 event I still think he was just too old and living in Hi away from Rio. 

"Relson trained Rickson for both events in anticipation of fighting Zulu himself, but Relson later acquiesced to Helio's wishes for Rickson to make his debut as the Gracie family champion."

From Wikipedia

I’m pretty sure that is incorrect for the first fight in 1980. I’m pretty sure Rolls was originally going to fight Zulu, but Helio requested Rickson.

graciesrule -
chief123 - 

From Wikipedia

I’m pretty sure that is incorrect for the first fight in 1980. I’m pretty sure Rolls was originally going to fight Zulu, but Helio requested Rickson.

Could be, that’s just Wikipedia, his entry could have got the Kid Peligro treatment :wink:

Other than that, seems like Relson was either never interested in fighting in the ring or just passed over by Helio when it came time to rep the family.