BJJ with permanent injury/disability

Going to sign my 6 and 8 year old for BJJ and it got me wanting to try it out. I've been wanting to for years, but I have a permanent injury to my tailbone area so I can't fall, drop or butt scoot (especially on firm mats) on it which has stopped me from starting.

Is there work arounds or do most schools deal with injuries on students and make it work? I'd hate to be unable to do most things or have to inconvenience the class.

Yes.

Totally different scenerio, but I've had the pleasure of training with, and rolling with Kyle Maynard.  He was born with no legs, and his arms stop at the elbow.  Dude is an amazing person, and is the living definition of "work around".  He's got a nice head and arm choke, and cant clasp hands together, or grab his own bicep like the rest of us can.

I would recommend visiting and interviewing a few academies, in hopes of finding one with a patient instructor who has a positive attitude about your abilities and limitations.  You can make it work.

You're going to have to find the right situation, but I think in the right situation you can thrive. 

Get in there and try it out.  Only roll with higher belts if you can.  Or maybe see if the instructor will work with you so you can figure out what your limitations truly are.  

Appreciate the replies. I have a few years or boxing/Mt and would love to add some BJJ.

Now to overcome claustrophobia

Morgz-
Awesome stuff!!
I would definately be very honest with the teacher and try different schools. Also rolling with with higher belts is super smart. I have a shit ton of health issues (all cancer related) I started at a school that i loved but it was just too rough on me. (Im a 5'4" 110lb chick) I found a place where I could go at my own pace. It took me 5 years to get my blue belt and have not trained in 2 years. I miss it every damn day! So train smart and I wish you the best of luck!! Keep us posted!

I had to stop training after a huge accident at work that screwed my neck up then after that I developed gout which in my opinion is even worse for training cause any leg contact and your pretty much screaming in pain it's brutal even with meds.But I'd say if you can't train but like BJJ a lot do drills and senario training I wouldn't quit entirely 

permanent injury to the tailbone sounds like you thinking about jiu jitsu is the wrong sport.

how bad is the injury? 

dojo stormer -

permanent injury to the tailbone sounds like you thinking about jiu jitsu is the wrong sport.

how bad is the injury? 

Entrapped nerve from the sitz bone to tailbone. Very limited sitting. Have had nerve blocks and pulse radio frequency which basically burned the nerve and it regrew.

Constant 3 pain but if I get hit on the tailbone it shoots up.

I'll give it a go and see how it goes. If it's painful I'll just have to stick with striking.

yeah, you're not doing jiu jitsu

You can definitely still try BJJ and potentially become a very good grappler, however, it will be much more difficult and the potential for pain and injury is high. You can work self-defense, clinching, and take downs in standup and then develop a very good top game on the ground. You would have to become very good at getting to your stomach or knees if you end up on the bottom since if doesn't seem like you will be able to do much guard work if you can't butt scoot. If being on your side doesn't hurt that much then that does open up the door for certain guards. A challenging road ahead but by no means impossible.

The beauty of BJJ is that there's so much to it, no one can do it all, and there are very, very few that can't do it at all. We've all got limitations, but that doesn't mean you are limited to your couch.

My school has produced black belts that suffered from various disabilities. My instructor has said that jiu jitsu is for everyone - and he's produced a list of world champion black belts that have trained world champions. I doubt he's wrong.

Train smart, learn to tap, and remember your goal is to train because you want to. What happens today isn't as important as that you're ready to train again.

Don't let what can't do interfere with what you can do.