BJJas an add on

I will begin teaching a Filipino Martial Arts class at my local Y soon. I am not comfortable teaching a “self defense” class with so little ground work. I want to add something readily available for everyone. I am looking at Gracie Combatives or Jenn’s Basic Guard. It is an FMA class.

Input please?

The combatives set is really great instruction imo, haven’t seen the other one so can’t speak to it

Just teach what you know.

If you don't know BJJ, don't teach it. Don't copy BJJ techniques from a video then teach them to people, if that is what you are planning. 

How would you feel about someone watching some FMA videos then teaching FMA to students?

Learning a few moves from a video then teaching them is not going to benefit anybody. I see a lot of MAs --like Krav MAga-- do this. They teach a few random BJJ moves (e.g. Armbar from the guard) in some misguided idea of being more "complete". It doesn't work that way. Unless you are live grappling regularly, BJJ techniques are useless. Besides,  if you're teaching at a "Y", twice a week is probably the max number of classes you will have, in which case you don't really have time to be geting into other martial arts.

shen - 

Just teach what you know.

If you don't know BJJ, don't teach it. Don't copy BJJ techniques from a video then teach them to people, if that is what you are planning. 

How would you feel about someone watching some FMA videos then teaching FMA to students?

Learning a few moves from a video then teaching them is not going to benefit anybody. I see a lot of MAs --like Krav MAga-- do this. They teach a few random BJJ moves (e.g. Armbar from the guard) in some misguided idea of being more "complete". It doesn't work that way. Unless you are live grappling regularly, BJJ techniques are useless. Besides,  if you're teaching at a "Y", twice a week is probably the max number of classes you will have, in which case you don't really have time to be geting into other martial arts.

Excellent post!

what shen said!

and since its fma class…teach silat to be deadlier! LOL!!!

And LOL at an FMA SD class!..das some funny shit!