BJJ'ers opinion on renzo/frank?

I haven't seen the fight, but I've gleaned from the back & forth here that renzo mostly controlled the fight while frank landed some good strikes...depending on your bias. I keep seeing people saying renzo didn't do anything, or that he LnP'd the whole time.

I have a hard time believing that, but as I said I haven't seen it yet...my question is to the bjj people here that are familiar with bjj position progression...

was renzo actually running positions on frank & looking for setups or was he really inactive & LnPing down there? I'm curious what those who know what to look for saw.

The whole fight was Frank would land a few shots standing and Renzo would get the takedown. I am pretty sure Renzo was in half guard and side the entire time on the ground.
It looked to me a few times he could have mounted Frank but choose not to do so. ( Knee on belly a few times and Frank wasn't hipping out or defending it really it all)
Renzo wasn't doing much damage on top just controlling .

While Renzo didn't seem that active from the top I think a lot of it had to do with Frank hanging on and looking for the standup.  Frank wanted the KO and every time it hit the ground Frank was looking for the ref to stand it up. 

Thanks for the objective answers.

So not a lot of transitioning going on? I thought I saw some talk of renzo going from side to north/south etc...was frank just clinching up & holding on from the bottom?

Renzo passed Frank's guard easily all three times it went to the ground. He then looked for the reverse armbar (the same he tapped Mo Smith with in RINGS) he never came close to getting it and he didn't land any strikes on the ground, nor did he try any other submissions that I recognized. Frank was fairly dominant on his feet. The illegal knees Frank threw were clearly intentional FWIW.

Robin.

frank was not holding on to him

Frank was looking for the standup and just holding on. Renzo seemed like he wanted no part of the stand up. Maybe one of the reasons why he wasn't to active on top because of the risk of Frank sweeping or standing up.

Renzo transitioned on Frank like Frank was a complete noob on the ground...that surprised me. Renzo was obviously trying to set up some submissions instead of strike from side control. Frank either held on to stall for the standup or threw punches and knees from the bottom. Frank's escapes were surprisingly one-dimensional (bridge and explode). Renzo was on him like a tick.

renzo was looking for subs but frank didnt let him find any

"Renzo passed Frank's guard easily all three times it went to the ground. He then looked for the reverse armbar (the same he tapped Mo Smith with in RINGS) he never came close to getting it and he didn't land any strikes on the ground, nor did he try any other submissions that I recognized. Frank was fairly dominant on his feet. The illegal knees Frank threw were clearly intentional FWIW."

Everything is correct in the above except "Renzo passed Frank's guard eaily all three times." On two of the takedowns Frank only got half guard. On the last takedown Renzo was immediately in side control.

i think if renzo would have had a little more time to work with he could have did a little more. frank's strategy on the ground was to hold on for dear life

My opinion is that Renzo did advance position to a point and then quit and layed there while eating about 1000 shots to the ribs. Renzo really didn't do much.

Sounds like renzo smothered him on the ground for the most part...frank was throwing knees/elbows from the bottom tho? From inside sidemount?

"was renzo actually running positions on frank & looking for setups"

"Renzo transitioned on Frank like Frank was a complete noob on the ground"

that's the way i saw it too

"Everything is correct in the above except "Renzo passed Frank's guard eaily all three times." On two of the takedowns Frank only got half guard. On the last takedown Renzo was immediately in side control."

Frank was in sidemount when it was stood up, when round 1 ended and when the fight was called. He passed guard twice in the first round and took Frank down to side mount once. I guess that's not technically "passing".

Robin.

bflex is correct. All in all, though, even without the intentional fouls, Frank's performance was more disappointing than Renzo's.

"All in all, though, even without the intentional fouls, Frank's performance was more disappointing than Renzo's"

I thought it was a pethetic performance by both of the,. I just cant believe some people honestly think that Renzo was "dominating" by getting 3 takedwons and taking naps on top while eating knees to the ribs.

t bag, quit being objective or you will get kicked off this site.

Frank's takedown defense was embarrassing and Renzo not throwing one strike on top was just as bad if not worse.