BJJers, please weigh in. I'm in bizarro world.

ok. there have been numerous threads on internet promotion/teaching, etc. i usually think, so what? the proof is in the skills they show on the mat. as soon as i said that in my head, i was immediately pissed off. i can't fathom this.

i feel like i'm in some bizarro world where guys are trying to justify internet teaching and promotion.

i want to ask a few questions for those in the know before i jump the gun because i am making assumptions.

1) is this strictly internet instruction and being judged on skill via internet correspondence?

2) does the student have face/mat time w/ the instructor for extended periods of time?

i was assuming the answer was "YES" for question 1 and "NO" for the second question. if so, i'm at a loss...

and if so, i have the following to say to those participating in this. there were guys that started out w/ nobody around. no instructor back in the day... i'm sure many old schoolers recall this, especially east coast guys and guys in the sticks. you worked on it w/ your team/club/school, you travelled to get instruction w/ a legit bb, you brought it back, trained it hard and repeat and it took a long time. you even had them out to your place if you could and they were cool enough or available and had one on one face time for a few days. you 'cut your teeth' so to speak the hard way. it took a long time, but low and behold, 9 years later, there are BBs, browns, purples in your area. all guys that did it the hard way. i would go out of my way to clown a strictly internet student. yes, use it as a supplement to real instruction and mat time, but strictly internet correspondence is fucking ridiculous. no matter how legit one of the parties involved is.

this is fucking stupid and fuck the internet correspondence w/ no consistent face time w/ the instructor.

you are liars.

I agree 100%. Rory and I traveled the hard and long road you are describing. It took us over 10 years to reach BB. Put it was worth every day. These frauds will be outed, you can not hide on the mat.

Adam Singer

Just as a question, in those days when you didn't have access to regular instruction would you have appreciated this resource?

Saku12 - Just as a question, in those days when you didn't have access to regular instruction would you have appreciated this resource?

I dont think they are talking about instruction so much as they are talking about rank. My thought if a guy wants rank he can attend some seminar that that the instructors test or he can fly out to someone that does rank test.

Are they giving out rank or some sort of certification?

Question: Can you name any paper tiger fake belts from the program you're talking about?

If not WTF are you getting worked up about?

Learning over the internet is the future.

The best schools in the country(e.g. University of Pheonix, Argosy University, etc.) already know this.

Face to face instruction is no longer necessary, especially in BJJ. With the internet you have access to ALL the best teachers in the world at your fingertips!

Accept it or get left in the dust.

Adam Singer - I agree 100%. Rory and I traveled the hard and long road you are describing. It took us over 10 years to reach BB. Put it was worth every day. These frauds will be outed, you can not hide on the mat.

Adam Singer

so you dont lose on the mat? why do i see purple belts beating bb.are the bb frauds?

You jumped to the conclusion that being outed was purely about losing matches. I was more talking about technical ability as a whole. Blackbelts come in all shapes and sizes, young-old, great to crappy athletes etc. But hopefully all the real ones have one thing in common - Technical ability.
Adam

Adam Singer - 12,
You jumped to the conclusion that being outed was purely about losing matches. I was more talking about technical ability as a whole. Blackbelts come in all shapes and sizes, young-old, great to crappy athletes etc. But hopefully all the real ones have one thing in common - Technical ability.
Adam

thank you adam.

again, i don't see the problem. if anything you should be mad at the people offering the course for trying to trick people into thinking they can become grapplers online when they can't. i don't think it's anyone's fault that they want to be a grappler but don't want to do the hard work, a lot of people are like that.

the only difference now is those people would just stop coming to the gym after a while and the quitters weed themselves out, but now the weeding will take place in a competition scenario or when the person actually visits a school and realizes their lack of sensitivity. the only thing that bothers me personally is how can you really charge people for that? you're basically scamming them until they realize the truth.

the other thing that bothers me is, before anyone could say "i'm so and so belt in BJJ" on the internet, and then when people ask their lineage, they choke up and obviously they never compete to not expose themself. now they have a lineage, but it's all still a farce, nothing has changed, you just have someone who is qualified saying you are qualified when you are not. what this does, in my opinion, is tarnish the qualified person's reputation and nothing else.

take it from someone who spent a couple years youtubing it, you can learn a lot from the internet, it's a huge advantage to have gone through the "get a lot of techniques" phase before i even became a white belt, but at the end of the day, when i walked into the gym, all of the techniques i knew failed because i never developed the intuition and sensitivity to apply them in a pressure situation. it didn't matter if i knew almost everything there was to know about the move or not, it failed because i didn't have any physical development in BJJ.

it's like doing katas and forms and never actually have someone throwing punches at you that you block. there is no difference.

I personally dont think I would value a belt earned online as much as actually training with the instructor on the mat. Thats just me tho.

I would use web information to supplement actual training but not for promotion. But on the other hand I did use to travel alot to different coaches and it did become very expensive. Maybe webtraining is the best some can do when you factory in your monthly bills especially with a family and mortgage.

Maybe this falls under personal preference but I think Rory Singers right. What goes down on the mat is the definition of your skill level. IMO

picture video taping yourself doing judo throws and sending that to japan for a belt or to San Jose Judo club for a belt?

also, nobody answered my questions. am i delusional in thinking that people are taping themselves rolling and sending that in for a promotion via internet?

What I find ridiculous is that someone like Eddie Bravo, who spent YEARS training hard and working his way up the ranks...competing at a high level, would stoop this low to make money. Are you even kidding me Eddie? Do you not care at all that people will be running around calling themselves an Eddie Bravo purple belt and have zero skill on the mat? You DO realize that this is exactly what is going to happen right?? As for the $Gracies$, well...I hate to say it but I am much less surprised and would expect this sort of thing out of them.

Joe

"picture video taping yourself doing judo throws and sending that to japan for a belt or to San Jose Judo club for a belt?"

LOL....damn good analogy

If thats the way they want to attain their belt rank then it should also be required to embroider "Internet Trained" or "Earned via Internet" right on the colored belt.

"As for the $Gracies$, well...I hate to say it but I am much less surprised and would expect this sort of thing out of them."

Same here but I think Gracie Torrance has always had some kind of strange promotional gimick to recieve belt rank. I remember seeing the ads back in the day and also remember Brennan saying he was a part of it. I think he said noone recieved any kind of promotion out it tho and it was very, very expensive....forgot the name of that program tho

when a vid comes in,i will try to post it, so all of you can grade it

i wasn't calling any group out. it just seems like a lot of this stuff has been posted.

w/ torrance in mind, would someone attain rank in GJJ or Gracie combatives? I.E do they eventually wear a black belt in GJJ?

is it based solely on videos? it sounds like eddie bravo is ensuring that the people posting videos to him are training on the mat w/ affiliates (browns and purples in his system). that seems fine.

i guess i'm asking, would the gracie torrance team give someone a black belt in GJJ that does not train on the mat under a certified legit instructor or am i missing something?

i'm asking lots of questions as i don't want to assume TOO much, it's just that if it looks and sounds like a duck, it is probably a duck, but hell, it might be a goose or just a really annoying wife barking orders because she needs coffee asap and is on the rag.

IMO
learn it how you want to,if you have the money,get to a school,there is nothing as good as proper instruction "yeah i know ,this is coming from a backyard purplebelt f#(k you if you don't like it" but if you're a broke a$$ yet very dedicated student that has no other option but to use the internet for instruction,go for it. BUT TRAIN,and train hard. learn to do it right,and put your time in on the mat, because that is there it count

Empire - i wasn't calling any group out. it just seems like a lot of this stuff has been posted.

w/ torrance in mind, would someone attain rank in GJJ or Gracie combatives? I.E do they eventually wear a black belt in GJJ?

is it based solely on videos? it sounds like eddie bravo is ensuring that the people posting videos to him are training on the mat w/ affiliates (browns and purples in his system). that seems fine.

i guess i'm asking, would the gracie torrance team give someone a black belt in GJJ that does not train on the mat under a certified legit instructor or am i missing something?

i'm asking lots of questions as i don't want to assume TOO much, it's just that if it looks and sounds like a duck, it is probably a duck, but hell, it might be a goose or just a really annoying wife barking orders because she needs coffee asap and is on the rag.

Gracie online ranks in Gracie Jiujitsu (not 'Gracie Combatives').

To actually go for black, you need to get to Gracie Torrance and complete a 5 day grading.

I think the online website wil see a massive increase in GJJ blue belts (as you need to memorise the 36 techniques and send in a video).

BUT, they have said that each stripe after that has 50 or so techniques included in it. With 4 stripes on each belt (blue, purple brown), how many people are going to go all the way through to black? Virtually none I'm guessing.
There will be some that make it to purple, but not many.

So I don't think this will really increase the amount of Gracie Jiu Jitsu black belts out there at all.