BJ's Shirt: Hawaiian Sovereignty?

WTF!?  I didn't know this guy wanted Hawaiian independence.  About 1/3 of people living in Hawaii are caucasian american, 20% are Japanese and 13% are of native Hawaiian descent.  There are a number of other ethnic groups and of course a huge mixed popultion but obviously native hawaiians are a minority. 

BJ, get a cause that is serious.

MyEarHurt:  I'm not going to argue historical rights and wrongs nitwit.  I'm pointing out the demographics make it ridiculous.  The US also took nearly half of Mexico 150 years ago.   You can't ignore all that's happened  in the mean time and the demographics today.

BJ should stick to fighting.

"ethnic hawaiians should be grateful that america turned their islands from third world backwater into a tourist mecca."

It is obvious that you are ignorant of Hawaiian history.....obvious.

Steamfitter..
I have a shirt...courtesy of the N$C aka North Shore Cartel that says..

"If it's tourist season, why can i shoot them"

i'll be sure to wear that when you visit hawaii. if you ever do.

lol@hawaiian independance.

good luck with all that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_sovereignty_movement

Hawaiian's asking for their independence is no different from the Welsh, Scottish, Quebecois etc etc..

Hawaiian's asking for their independence is no different from the Welsh, Scottish, Quebecois etc etc..

Exactly, it's comical how people would want to ask to starve their own country.

And, frankly, any time you're compared to the welsh, it's never a good thing.

Or the Quebecois...

You know it would get real scary if Native Hawaiians, Native Americans or Mexicans turned to violence to get their lands back...

"Just because they are a minority (in 2007) doesn't mean they don't have the right to land that was unfairly taken from them."

Taken from them? Whose is it now? Last time i checked, BJ was living pretty well. And if anything, it's whites who often complain about racism towards them. Exactly what rights do hawaiians not have that they would have if independent?

"You know it would get real scary if Native Hawaiians, Native Americans or Mexicans turned to violence to get their lands back..."

THEIR land?  No one alive today from the ethnic groups in question has owned that land for generations.  Mexico was an independent nation for 20 years before they lost all that land to America 160 years ago.  So they still can claim they owned that land after only having it 20 years? 

WWIII would start if this mentality was applied to Europe and all it's border changes over the centuries.

Bywaterflotsam:  The point is  not disregarding worthy causes, but that this is NOT a worthy cause.

Why wouldn't the Hawaiians want sovereignty?  Aren't the Apache recognized as a soveriegn entity?  Aren't the American Indian nations recognized as soveriegn nations?  Why wouldn't the Hawaiians want the same recognition?

Samoa.

Steyr...it would get scary... for whatever group tried that. I'd just LOVE to see it happen. Love it to pieces thinking anyone is going to come and try to "take back" anything and not pay the the heaviest of prices...and yet still fail miserabley.

maybe it's what he wants and doesn't give a shit what others think

og thread imo.

as far as the mexicans are concerned they've already taken texas back.

Yeah, I think they'll be like Peurto Rica: shout a lot about independance, but stay because they get a lot of aid from the mainland.

I'd like to see both Hawaii and PR get independence. They're not worth the money we spend on them. But they won't leave. They'll just talk, and act like they're oppressed somehow. All why sucking up tax dollars.

Also, why BJ, who is Filipino, not Hawaiian, is pushing for Hawaiian cultural issues is beyond me. The law proposed to give ethnic Hawaiians more rights than others on the islands would leave him out just as if he was white or black.

"When Mexico becomes the majority and is no longer a minority, there's really nothing that can be done to stop it."

because god knows that when you think of an effective army, you think of Mexico.

I think giving Hawaii back to the native minority is a great idea. While we're at it let's give Alaska back to the Inuits and the continental US back to the Indians.