Blackhawks Snub Antti Raanta WOW ! ! !

Ohhhhhh that's gotta hurt

After winning their third Stanley Cup in six years, the summer for the Chicago Blackhawks got off to a quick start. With little time to celebrate, numerous players were jettisoned from the team to shed some much needed cap space. One of those players was Antti Raanta, who up until the playoffs was the primary backup to goaltender Corey Crawford.

The demotion of Raanta for hometown hero Scott Darling wasn’t something that Antti handled very well at all. After he was dealt to the New York Rangers, the netminder was interviewed by a Finnish journalist where he admitted that he wanted to Blackhawks to get swept in the first round against Nashville. Read more about that story here.

That’s kind of a shady move for a team that just helped you make a name for yourself. The interesting thing about it all was that there was very little reaction from the Blackhawks about the quote. Some people account it to being part of the business; but it appears that the team was being a lot more strategic. They decided that they would go for the jugular when they had the chance. That time finally came.

Blackhawks Snub Antti Raanta By Leaving His Name Off The Stanley Cup
The keeper of the cup, Philip Pritchard, tweeted out a photo of the names engraved, but Raanta was not one of those names. It seems that the Blackhawks brass weren’t thrilled with the comments after all, and they knew the biggest way to get back at Raanta was to omit his name from the most treasured trophy in all of sports.

Chris Hine of The Chicago Tribune points out that it’s possible that the team could have found a way to get him on there.

“Raanta did not play in any postseason games, but neither did forward Daniel Carcillo, whose name is on the Stanley Cup. Joakim Nordstrom’s name is also there, even though Nordstrom only played in three playoff games.

Teams can petition for players to get on the Stanley Cup, even if they did not play in any games during the finals.

Also missing from the Stanley Cup is equipment manager Clint Reif, who died during the season. Reif was listed on the 2010 and 2013 Stanley Cups.”

The Blackhawks decided that it was more important to put Daniel Carcillo on the cup as opposed to Raanta. The argument was likely coming down to the fact about Raanta’s comments.

Raanta should have known that the Blackhawks snub was coming; they are way too smart of an organization to let those types of comments slide. To rub even more salt into the wounds, the New York Rangers are coming to town for opening night on October 7th.

So not only is Raanta’s name left off the cup, but he has to stand on the opposing bench and watch the banner raising ceremony. Then he gets to sit there watching the metaphoric middle finger waving at him from the rafters, all night long.

Revenge always best when served cold. Good job by the team. I like it. Phone Post 3.0

"So not only is Raanta’s name left off the cup, but he has to stand on the opposing bench and watch the banner raising ceremony. Then he gets to sit there watching the metaphoric middle finger waving at him from the rafters, all night long."

That's coooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllddddd. colder than ice for sure.

Doesn't really seem like that big of a deal. Not like he played in the playoffs.

I didn't know it was up to the team to decide who gets their name on the cup. That doesn't seem fair, no matter what you think about a player. Phone Post 3.0

There's a limited amount of names that can go on the CUP. When you bad mouth a team that you played for and went on to win it then you're an idiot as it might be your last chance.

Hired Gun - There's a limited amount of names that can go on the CUP. When you bad mouth a team that you played for and went on to win it then you're an idiot as it might be your last chance.
Yeah, but it shouldn't be up to the team to decide that. It should be an arbitrary list that's determined by the league as to who on a club is eligible. They shouldn't be able to omit what someone accomplished just because they don't like them as a person anymore. Phone Post 3.0

He got a day with the cup like every other player and it appears like he even got a ring.

Seems petty to keep him off the engraving though.

Not that he played a lot but having a backup goalie go 7-4 with a 1.90 GAA during the season can come in really fucking handy.

Great team but if Im him I would try and sell that ring to bangbros or something so its prominantly featured in a bangbus video.

da Vinci 81 - I didn't know it was up to the team to decide who gets their name on the cup. That doesn't seem fair, no matter what you think about a player. Phone Post 3.0
Raanta had nothing to do with the cup run - you fuck with the 'Hawk you get the axe. Phone Post 3.0

I think it's kind of a dick move.

They have Carcillo's name on it for Christ's sake.

Stu Cazzo - 
da Vinci 81 - I didn't know it was up to the team to decide who gets their name on the cup. That doesn't seem fair, no matter what you think about a player. Phone Post 3.0
Raanta had nothing to do with the cup run - you fuck with the 'Hawk you get the axe. Phone Post 3.0

You cant really say that because you dont know what would have happened in those 7 games he was credited with a win.

Take 3 wins away from them last year and they might end up with the wildcard spot and maybe things dont turn out the way they did.

He had a hand in them winning, albeit a small one and he should be credited as such.

Im sure he'll live but I still think its a petty move by an Org that I thought had turned the corner on such actions.

Also leaving off the equipment mgr that they all seemingly shed real tears for on their 24/7 is questionable as well.

Stu Cazzo - 

Except for going 7-4 in the season for them... Think about this. If Raanta goes 3-8 somehow, the Kings get in the playoffs and Blackhawks are out.

Also, how do you leave off an equipment manager who died during the season? You can't honor the guy and his family with a parting gift?

Chicken shit moves by a chicken shit team.

A Russian Lost In The Pine Barrens -
Stu Cazzo - 

You cant really say that because you dont know what would have happened in those 7 games he was credited with a win.

Take 3 wins away from them last year and they might end up with the wildcard spot and maybe things dont turn out the way they did.

He had a hand in them winning, albeit a small one and he should be credited as such.

Im sure he'll live but I still think its a petty move by an Org that I thought had turned the corner on such actions.

Also leaving off the equipment mgr that they all seemingly shed real tears for on their 24/7 is questionable as well.

Turned the corner on such actions?

Please explain. Phone Post 3.0

Stu Cazzo - 
Stu Cazzo - 

Cmon Stu.

You and every other hockey fans knows they were run as a low class organization for a VERY long time.

People forget but it was only 10 years ago that they were consistantly voted as one of the worst orgs in all of sports (my Leafs now take that spot on a regular basis and deservedly so lol).

Like the leafs they had some of the highest ticket prices while they went about 50 years without a cup.

Blacking out their home games to their own local fans.

There was also some friction with someone who wrote a book about the team but I forget the details.

Granted everything mentioned above was done under Bill Wirtz, but it wasnt THAT long ago and its unfortunate to see them revert back to such petty behaviour.

Stu Cazzo - 

Neither did Carcillo, and his name got on the Cup.

He didn't play and was relegated to 3rd string and then traded after the season... I don't know if he would have had his name on the cup if he played for their AHL affiliate this season, let alone after being traded.

I'm not sure his comments have anything to do with it.

And IIRC his comments were in jest and not exactly presented in full context. He was simply pissed he couldn't play after having an otherwise good season.

This is typical sensational sports "journalism" IMHO.

A Russian Lost In The Pine Barrens - 
Stu Cazzo - 
Stu Cazzo - 

Cmon Stu.

You and every other hockey fans knows they were run as a low class organization for a VERY long time.

People forget but it was only 10 years ago that they were consistantly voted as one of the worst orgs in all of sports (my Leafs now take that spot on a regular basis and deservedly so lol).

Like the leafs they had some of the highest ticket prices while they went about 50 years without a cup.

There was also some friction with someone who wrote a book about the team but I forget the details.

Granted everything mentioned above was done under Bill Wirtz, but it wasnt THAT long ago and its unfortunate to see them revert back to such petty behaviour.

None of that stuff has anything to do with Today's team. You actually admit that but still act like "BUT STILL!"... no man... no "but stills"... none of that has anything to do with the team today.

PatK -
Stu Cazzo - 

Neither did Carcillo, and his name got on the Cup.
Tip of the cap because he retired imo. Phone Post 3.0

mdmrules - 
A Russian Lost In The Pine Barrens - 
Stu Cazzo - 
Stu Cazzo - 

Cmon Stu.

None of that stuff has anything to do with Today's team. You actually admit that but still act like "BUT STILL!"... no man... no "but stills"... none of that has anything to do with the team today.

Like I said I thought the organization was beyond the pettiness that was a regular occurance 10+ years ago.

They certainly improved the on ice product but its unfortunate to see a team with so much going for it take such petty actions against a former player.

The Clint Reif stuff is just low class. No way around it.

If you can shed tears on 24/7, dedicate wins to the guy, and hold his kid up at the parade, news flash, the guy and his surviving family deserve a fucking ring.

Guess he shouldn't have rantaa'd his mouth Phone Post 3.0