Block scoring system

There are a lot of ideas floating around for scoring MMA at the moment. What about if the rounds were broken down into 5 one minute blocks, or even 30 second blocks. It is a legitate means of doing it. The are so many variables in a fight that to take into account every facet is simply impossible due to the subjectivty of damage, power etc. 

With a block scoring system it would be easier to score the fight truly as a whole and if a judge were asked to justify what they saw and how they scored it, he or she could do so very easily. It seems that judges under the current system are making a decision during the 1 minute break between rounds as to who won the round in question and when you have the likes of Diego Sanchez putting it on during the last 30 seconds of the round the judges decision is swayed and the effectiveness displayed by the hypothetical opponent is not fairly viewed.  Either way something new needs to be introduced and the more ideas out there the better.

ttt

Retarded. Phone Post

AlbertEinstein - Retarded. Phone Post

Thanks for the feedback Dr. Einstein

I like it..not perfect, needs a lot of mapping out but in theory it could work...

I've always thought the judges should should have access to fight metric stats of each round or the fight as a whole before scoring Phone Post 3.0

The Brotorious B.I.G - I like it..not perfect, needs a lot of mapping out but in theory it could work...

I've always thought the judges should should have access to fight metric stats of each round or the fight as a whole before scoring Phone Post 3.0

Can still use the 10-9 must but clarify and detail the scoring criteria better. Also 10-10 can be used more.

irishrottie -
The Brotorious B.I.G - I like it..not perfect, needs a lot of mapping out but in theory it could work...

Can still use the 10-9 must but clarify and detail the scoring criteria better. Also 10-10 can be used more.

Yeah 10-10 & 10-8 should be used more appropriately Phone Post 3.0

I thought about something like this but scoring by the half-round.

irishrottie -

Do they even use 10-10 rounds ? Phone Post 3.0

A judge would score a 10-9 or less to the fighter who won the first 2:30 of the round, and another 10-9 or less to the fighter who won the final 2:30. They could be more liberal with 10-8's and 10-10's with this method. 

yes the block system would be easier for judges to get right, les fighters would be robbed, fights wouldnt be decided on 1 point difference nearly as often

Doc T -
irishrottie -

Do they even use 10-10 rounds ? Phone Post 3.0
No, but they should Phone Post 3.0

caposa - 

A judge would score a 10-9 or less to the fighter who won the first 2:30 of the round, and another 10-9 or less to the fighter who won the final 2:30. They could be more liberal with 10-8's and 10-10's with this method. 

The lack of 10-10/8 rounds are such a big problem in the sport. Ill have to properly look at a few fights now with this system in mind. but whenever I watch a fight this is what im thinking though. Im sure judges have their own technique for judging fights but it is so clear there are idiots who watch a round and then make a decision without having anything to rejog their memory of what transpired earlier in the round. That is why Clay Guida and Leonard Garcia have been in so many split and some may say terrible decisions. Between them there is a total of something like 14 split decisions.

I think this scoring system can be a bit too much, but the judges are so inept at times that I would still utilize it over the current system.

The 10-9 round has become too dynamic in my opinion. A razor thin round is scored 10-9, and a fairly dominant round is also scored 10-9.

Its criminal that a clear dominant round and a razor thin round can be scored the same. this is what the issue is, no matter who judges the fights this will always be an issue. Half points need to be in effect, there will be some growing pains early on but standards will be set in due time.

Every event has 2 or 3 competitive fights that could've been augmented by a half-point system. A dominant round will be 10-9 or 10-8.5 and a close round can be 10-9.5
What the UFC won't like is that it could lead to more draws, so they would have to implement a sudden death round if necessary.

goeb - I think this scoring system can be a bit too much, but the judges are so inept at times that I would still utilize it over the current system.

The 10-9 round has become too dynamic in my opinion. A razor thin round is scored 10-9, and a fairly dominant round is also scored 10-9.

Its criminal that a clear dominant round and a razor thin round can be scored the same. this is what the issue is, no matter who judges the fights this will always be an issue. Half points need to be in effect, there will be some growing pains early on but standards will be set in due time.

Every event has 2 or 3 competitive fights that could've been augmented by a half-point system. A dominant round will be 10-9 or 10-8.5 and a close round can be 10-9.5
What the UFC won't like is that it could lead to more draws, so they would have to implement a sudden death round if necessary.

There was a really good discussion about this on the mma hour. It is time for the UFC to try out some scoring systems on cards outside the states.

i like the half round scoring idea.

I have also wondered how it would go if after every round the score was told to everyone. it could produce boring 3rd rounds if a fighter knows he's 100% up two rounds but then the losing fighter would know he needs a finish.

With the use of long 5 minute rounds, it's totally possible to break the rounds into chunks for scoring. Half round scoring would be great, with the only-use-10-9-scoring used right now, it would lead to way more 10-10 and 10-8 rounds naturally (actually 20-20 and 20-18). Then as the fights are more likely to be scored accurately, and draws would actually be scored draws (which is about half of the controversial fights out there), we would just need an overtime round to put the cherry on it.

greenseed - i like the half round scoring idea.

I have also wondered how it would go if after every round the score was told to everyone. it could produce boring 3rd rounds if a fighter knows he's 100% up two rounds but then the losing fighter would know he needs a finish.

live scoring is an absolute must. would make the fights more entertaining and there would be no excuses for a fighter. 

I always felt the round should be scored based on who did the most damage or who better controlled the other fighter. In a real fight for example, a bunch of pitter patter point fighting strikes mean little to nothing in the grand scheme of who wins. One huge punch from the other fighter makes it clear who is winning the fight. Both guys know who got the better of the other and in turn, no one fights that way when it's real. What you see is both guys generally trying to end the fight with big shots and going for broke. This is something rarely seen in MMA and while much of it is due to tactics to avoid getting exhausted or significant;y out of position, much of it is done because of the score card in mind.

Give the judges the instruction to judge the round as a whole and forget a running point total for failed arm bar attempts, guard pulls, sprawls, and stand ups, rather reward the fighter who landed the bigger harder strikes or did damage with locked in submissions, slams, and in general controlled the fight.

My 2 cents

it doesn't matter what scoring system is used. There will always be bad decisions.