blue belt world champ @ your academy how do u ?

get promoted,if he's still a blue belt ,no one else should get promoted before him.your academy must have the best blue belts in the world.do most of the blues at your school go around tapping average brown belts?

Don't really agree. People who had been there longer got promoted to purple while I stayed at blue. I had no problem with it.

If they win the worlds then it is extremely likely they will be promoted. Most people who win under black are.

wat

Maybe the dude is strong (no reason to get promoted), strategic in competition (no reason to get promoted), or lucky (no reason to get promoted).

Winning competitions doesn't mean your the most technical guy or most deserving of promotion. I've lost to dudes I felt I was more skilled than and beaten the opposite.

so your a world champ,but your only good at certain moves or what ever.

so guys that r more technical,but cant beat you can be promoted.

so winning the worlds isnt about who's the best bjj guy,its about knowning enough to get points and stall , being strong ?   so if your a champion,and  a guy that has been training longer then you gets promoted and he cant beat u,do you have to wait a certain amount of time.

joshjitsu - If they win the worlds then it is extremely likely they will be promoted. Most people who win under black are.

what about the top 10,they get to go back next yr and try again.that seems fair.

12 - 
joshjitsu - If they win the worlds then it is extremely likely they will be promoted. Most people who win under black are.

what about the top 10,they get to go back next yr and try again.that seems fair.

the problem is not sandbagging. the problem is that because of business politics everyone is getting promoted too quickly and then accuse the legit guys of being sandbaggers. I've seen guys who couldn't win a white belt match, let alone a white belt tournament, get a blue and enter the worlds only to complain about sandbagging.

I know a guy who won worlds as a blue belt last year and he's still a blue belt. Another guy took 2nd in the worlds a couple years ago and is still a brown belt. LOL if that's not the definition of sand bagging.

spider guard - I know a guy who won worlds as a blue belt last year and he's still a blue belt. Another guy took 2nd in the worlds a couple years ago and is still a brown belt. LOL if that's not the definition of sand bagging.

really,r u just making this shit up?  if tis true did any other blues get promoted to purple?

Interesting Phone Post

If someone wins worlds in an adult category at blue belt then they need to get promoted in my opinion...even the smallest blue belt divisions at the worlds has 35 people in it with divisions that have over 100 people on a division.

If someone wins a 100 person division at the worlds they need to be promoted and step the game up. Phone Post

Its up to the coach to evaluate whether they are a purple belt yet.

One guy can be purple belt level across the board, in all positions. He should be promoted.

But he could routinely be beaten by a guy who's got a brown belt top game is like a white belt off his back.

Or a guy who has a brown belt level guard but once you pass it he has nothing and he might still be blue belt level on top.

The two later guys could go in and win the worlds but not be ready to be promoted. Phone Post

12 - 

so winning the worlds isnt about who's the best bjj guy,its about knowning enough to get points and stall , being strong ?   so if your a champion,and  a guy that has been training longer then you gets promoted and he cant beat u,do you have to wait a certain amount of time.

Are you taking into consideration age, and recreational/competition player?

I dont think promotions should solely be based on who can tap who on the mat.

12 - 

Dude I'm really sorry but this post is just a mess.

Anyway my point is that while the criteria for promotion is pure Jiu Jitsu technique, the skills required to be successful in competition are much broader.

If a guys wins the Worlds as a blue belt but can't fight worth of shit he does not deserve to be promoted in my opinion. Competing is only one aspect of Jiu-Jitsu and a Jiu-Jiteiro has to be well rounded.

12 - 
spider guard - I know a guy who won worlds as a blue belt last year and he's still a blue belt. Another guy took 2nd in the worlds a couple years ago and is still a brown belt. LOL if that's not the definition of sand bagging.

really,r u just making this shit up?  if tis true did any other blues get promoted to purple?

No 12, not making it up at all. Although the brown belt loss this year in the quarter finals this year to Tanner Rice I believe.

I forgot to add that the brown belt also took 2nd in the Brasilieros too. This was prior to taking 2nd in the Worlds.

Tournament wins are important, but they're not everything. If you don't trust your instructor's judgment, you should find another instructor.

I've seen people get promoted after a big win and get crushed when they move up. Sometimes, they lose their competitive fire or even quit altogether. Our egos are funny and sometimes fragile things.

HoldYerGround - 
12 - 

Dude I'm really sorry but this post is just a mess.

Anyway my point is that while the criteria for promotion is pure Jiu Jitsu technique, the skills required to be successful in competition are much broader.

most of my post r ,stay in school kids