BMW Maintenance Question

So I'm looking to get a BMW 3 or 5 series. Probably a 2009 or newer but I keep hearing horror stories about maintenance or repair costs. F the dealership anyways my mechanic is spot on with his shiz so I wouldn't go there, but what say you OG? Yay or Nay Phone Post 3.0

get a warranty. Factor that in. If you can afford it, enjoy the ultimate driving machine.

My expertise ends with 2004 as far as BMWs go.

Get a CPO BMW. 

I think all BMWs 2009 or newer had a factory B2B warranty for the first five years, so there are plenty out there that have been very well maintained.

SergeK - do you know how to reset the Bluetooth Passkey in an e46?

I'm in the same boat, OP. Looking at a 3 or 5 series BMW or Mercedes 300 series. Not sure which one to go with, and concerned about the high cost of repairs if they ever have to go in the shop.

The damn cars have like 12 computers in them. I hate buying cars at the dealerships. I always pay cash for my cars and usually private sales. Have a 350Z now from a private seller and has never given me issues. But god damn these $700 sensor shit and $1200 fuel pump jobs or whatever. Not intending to drive it like a crazy man, I just love how these beauties look. Phone Post 3.0

Bmws are the ultimate leasing machine. Would never want to own one out of warranty. But on a lease? Perfect cars IMO Phone Post 3.0

Yeah I bought an 05' 645Ci used with 65,000 miles in 2011. Between 2011-2013 I spent over 10,000 in repairs.

Spoonie Luv - Yeah I bought an 05' 645Ci used with 65,000 miles in 2011. Between 2011-2013 I spent over 10,000 in repairs.
My nightmare!!! What was the major repair? Tran, engine or one of the 20 computers? Phone Post 3.0

If you can't handle $700 sensors and $1200 fuel pumps, move on.

A water pump and thermostat set me back $900 in my 2007.

I really wanted to buy one but heard pretty much the same thing about the repairs. Ended getting an Infiniti g instead. Haven't had any issues and was a little cheaper than the 3 or 5 series. Phone Post 3.0

cdmontgo - If you can't handle $700 sensors and $1200 fuel pumps, move on.

A water pump and thermostat set me back $900 in my 2007.
Yes sir! I figured the germans were renown for their engineering. Phone Post 3.0

I have a 08 335, my car is fairly reliable, but is also expensive as shit anytime that I need to have even minor repair work done.

Now to the folks that have experience with this. Are we talking dealership prices for the repairs or do you have someone you trust do the work. I feel the labor is where shit gets pricey. Phone Post 3.0

But a chilton/haynes manual and a tool set. youtube has alot of helpful videos as well. Ive saved tens of thousand of dollars doing maintenance myself.

When my car was in warranty, I took it to the dealer. You have to be careful with that though, there are a number of dealers that claim to do work and don't or just a very poor job. You need to check up on them.

The water pump happened after the warranty ran out. I took it to a local shop. I have only lived in that state for a very years, so I don't really have a mechanic I trust that is capable of working on a German car.

That said, my car is pretty reliable. It is just whenever something does need to be done, it is VERY expensive relative to typical American cars.

Oh, I forgot to add that I find labor to be rather reasonable. It is a bit more than an American shop, but not nearly as lopsided as the parts.

I keep hearing people say BMW's are great until the warranty is up, then it becomes a nightmare. Phone Post 3.0

One of the perks of leasing (maintenance is included). I have a '13 6 series grand coupe. I know a lot of people argue leasing etc, but I do it through my business and enjoy getting a new car every three years. Phone Post 3.0