BMW Maintenance Question

Awesome cars. But, my brother in law had like a $1,500 brake job on his. Not sure why it cost so much but he ended up selling it because the maintenance costs were piling up and killing him. That was enough to scare me away from buying one too. Even though I drive a 2013 VW Passat, because you just can't beat German engineering. Phone Post 3.0

For what it's worth, Audi is currently the most reliable European brand overall.

#1 is lexus, then Toyota, acura, audi. I think mazda is 5? Phone Post 3.0

Stay away from dealerships for repairs.

My wife took her Camry in before a roadtrip this week.

Told her she needed a new timing belt when it was replaced less than 20,000 miles ago.

Charged her more to turn the rotors than it would have cost for new ones. Phone Post 3.0

superninjadragonkiller -
Spoonie Luv - Yeah I bought an 05' 645Ci used with 65,000 miles in 2011. Between 2011-2013 I spent over 10,000 in repairs.
My nightmare!!! What was the major repair? Tran, engine or one of the 20 computers? Phone Post 3.0
Fucking everything. Final blow was the transmission. Keep in mind that I never repaired it. That would have been another 8k. Phone Post 3.0

Spoonie Luv - Yeah I bought an 05' 645Ci used with 65,000 miles in 2011. Between 2011-2013 I spent over 10,000 in repairs.

These cars are aimed at a market segment where people are so loaded that they wouldn't care that much about repairs. Plus the owners are likely to change cars every 2 years or so anyway.

If you are not part ot the intended segment and can't spend a lot om money on maintenance and repairs then don't buy these cars. There is a good reason why they are generally "affordable" as second hand cars.

That said a car priced like a 645 should be quality, but everyone knows it isn't (hence the low second hand prices)

superninjadragonkiller - So I'm looking to get a BMW 3 or 5 series. Probably a 2009 or newer but I keep hearing horror stories about maintenance or repair costs. F the dealership anyways my mechanic is spot on with his shiz so I wouldn't go there, but what say you OG? Yay or Nay Phone Post 3.0
If you get one, I strongly suggest joining m3forum.net for maintenance and repair DIY tips. Or, take it a step further by visiting the regional section and participating in a meet-up.

Some great networking occurs at meet ups and you can quickly develop contacts who can do almost any maintenance on their rides.

This comes in handy if you want to mod, too.

Good luck. Phone Post 3.0

Go with an Audi.

I've owned 4 different 3 series coupes. All under warranty but all had multiple problems. Out of warranty they are extremely pricey to repair. Phone Post 3.0

YumYumPandaburger -
Spoonie Luv - Yeah I bought an 05' 645Ci used with 65,000 miles in 2011. Between 2011-2013 I spent over 10,000 in repairs.

These cars are aimed at a market segment where people are so loaded that they wouldn't care that much about repairs. Plus the owners are likely to change cars every 2 years or so anyway.

If you are not part ot the intended segment and can't spend a lot om money on maintenance and repairs then don't buy these cars. There is a good reason why they are generally "affordable" as second hand cars.

That said a car priced like a 645 should be quality, but everyone knows it isn't (hence the low second hand prices)
True that. I wish I knew that beforehand before it ruined my life!!! Phone Post 3.0

I heard the 3 series BMW tire and mag don't match and it leads to a cracking mag. They only fix it in europe Phone Post

Awesome thanks for the info guys, I'm going with an Infinity G35 Sedan. Its actually a pretty sexy car. Phone Post 3.0