Bmx

this was hot shit when I raced

PenAndPaper -

Dude... for god sake sort out your path.

Seriousoy though, sweet bike.

Brianmx234 -

this was hot shit when I raced

Lol

1 Like

Erik Apple - 

I Know Mat Hoffman. The guy is a scumbag weirdo

elaborate?

PenAndPaper - 
Wiggy -

If you were into the scene back in the early to mid '90s, pretty much everyone you used to regularly see & read about in the magazines is on Facebook. I've had a few conversations with Billy Griggs and will admit that I fanboyed a little. lol

I still think it'd be fun to get a bike and try masters novice racing (but 20" - not cruiser).

There's just not any tracks anywhere even close to me.

I got into bmx the first time I saw Hoffman in the x-games but could never get a decent bike until the one I still have. I had to have been in the 5th or 6th grade when I got it. I watch all the old videos from road fools/props from way back when. What state or city are you in that there aren’t any tracks around? 

Central NC.

I had a Mongoose Decade back in the day. I REALLY wish I still had that bike.

I know it was more gimmick than anything, but I still dig the frame platform design where the top tube meets the seat stays.

1 Like

Braf Zachland -

Stupid forum erased all I wrote when i added the pic. Son of a bitch. Long story short. Had an 84 gt mach one . Thats just a random one. Lived on my bike, simpler times.

I sponsored Mat. Ive never dealt with a bigger pain in the ass, or someone who whined so much

Ever notice during his career, he was only sponsored by himself? There is a reason for that

2 Likes

I had a cool Chromed out Norco BMX with black wheels and orange tires. I have no idea if it was a good bike or not, but it was the only bike I ever really loved. 

Anyone remember bmxboard? Best forum ever. It was the og of my childhood. 

Anyone remember bmxboard? Best forum ever. It was the og of my childhood 

pahulkster - 
Erik Apple -

I Know Mat Hoffman. The guy is a scumbag weirdo

Never heard that but he has had massive brain damage. 

I still have my 20" Mongoose from 93 but it needs some work and is too small for me now. I'd like to get something decent and ride around now. Skating again would be fun too but I would definitely kill myself.

Skating? Never really skateboarded much but, long story but in the early 90s I almost ended up on team Rollerblade. Played hockey on blades and did a lot of trick and urban blading back in the day. I was never great but we'd do all kinds of shit on the streets like jumping over tables at outdoor restaurants while people were actually sitting there eating, jumping off of loading docks over cars, grabbing on to cars and getting pulled along at 50+ mph, jumping off of and over all kinds of other stuff, etc...

Bought a Redline PL-26 last year to ride with the kiddos. Love it. Crazy a stock bike has sealed hubs, headset, bottom bracket etc. Back in the day that shit was expensive.

I still have my Standard 250 TRLS. Just ride my mountain bike now pretty much.

2 Likes

Stop, drop, shut'em down open up shop, ooohh oohhh thats how rough riders roll....

Edit. I thought this was a DMX thread. My bad.

I raced at the OC track for years. Griggs, Gass, Smith - all the same age. Griggs had the killer mental attitude and would chirp a lot.

The older guys like Stu Thompson and Greg Hill were semi-idols then.

Wiggy -
PenAndPaper - 
Wiggy -

If you were into the scene back in the early to mid '90s, pretty much everyone you used to regularly see & read about in the magazines is on Facebook. I've had a few conversations with Billy Griggs and will admit that I fanboyed a little. lol

I still think it'd be fun to get a bike and try masters novice racing (but 20" - not cruiser).

There's just not any tracks anywhere even close to me.

I got into bmx the first time I saw Hoffman in the x-games but could never get a decent bike until the one I still have. I had to have been in the 5th or 6th grade when I got it. I watch all the old videos from road fools/props from way back when. What state or city are you in that there aren’t any tracks around? 

Central NC.

I had a Mongoose Decade back in the day. I REALLY wish I still had that bike.

I know it was more gimmick than anything, but I still dig the frame platform design where the top tube meets the seat stays.

I'm in the triangle area. When I was a kid they wouldn't let bikes into any of the skateparks around. We used to go to Franklin St on unc campus and ride then get chased off by the cops. 

namrepus - 

Bought a Redline PL-26 last year to ride with the kiddos. Love it. Crazy a stock bike has sealed hubs, headset, bottom bracket etc. Back in the day that shit was expensive.

I remember when mid-range bikes all started coming with 3-piece cranks. Adult me defitely channeled teenage me, saying "WTF is that shit!?!" lol

It's been a while since I've looked anything up, but a few years ago, I was surprised not only how expensive mid-range bikes had become, but how many weren't even 100% chromoly.

Good race bikes are crazy expensive now.

Erik Apple -

I sponsored Mat. Ive never dealt with a bigger pain in the ass, or someone who whined so much

Ever notice during his career, he was only sponsored by himself? There is a reason for that

I was really too young to understand things like that. At the time I had to have been maybe 9 or 10 when I first saw him on the x games. 

Erik Apple - 

Oh wow - interesting. I'm old enough to remember when he rode for Haro, then went privateer for a year or two, then started Hoffman Bikes. I always figured it was just because he wanted to run his own show, as a number of guys did / tried to do around that time - Ron Wilkerson with Wilkerson Airlines (after the success of 2-Hip), RL Osborn with Bully Bikes (after seemingly doing well with Hammer), etc.

As an aside - is his name Matt or Mat? I saw it as Matt for years in the magazines, then started seeing it as Mat? Silly thing, but that's always made me wonder WTF?