Bodyweight Squats for high reps=worthless??

I've been doing tabata interval jump squats.

working well for me, I do 2 x 4 minute rounds with a minute rest in between.
Jump as high as I can and a slight static pause at 90degrees on the way down.

great workout I think, my legs are much stronger and more explosive now, I had skinny legs to start with though which may affect results

any one tried something like this?
any thoughts? Phone Post

AR great write up. couldn't put it better myself as another gymnastic bodies geek haha

one thing that I found progressing from the frog to the advanced frog was doing push ups with my palms by abdomen. I'd get into the position by arching my back like I would a hindu push up but then glide forward (like upward facing dog in a yoga practice) and end up with the palms by my hips. makes the push ups 10X harder and definitely helps the arm strength needed for the straight-arms advanced frog...

great job breaking down the static holds and their times too :)

Good tip, AKO. Luckily I never had much of a problem going from frog stand to advanced frog stand. Now kipping muscle ups to non-kipping... Ouch.

Leigh - My thoughts are that jumps for time will not be as effective as squatting for building leg strength Phone Post

Makes sense, I might add some squats on another day, best of both worlds, the jump squats hopefully are a good plyo workout and good for explosiveness and vertical leap

only problem is I workout at home without a squat rack, so I can only squat as much as I can lift over my head which is about 70kg Phone Post

^^ Thanks! I'm 2.5 weeks away from climbing Grand Teton now, and I'm starting to get really excited. The book is great for the progressions, but the website (and individual instruction if you can find an adult gymnastics class in your area) is instrumental put everything together. You just have to do a lot of digging. I'll always be happy to answer any questions.

I had some good results with bw squats. I started with sets of 15 quick, deep reps throughout the day. I eventually progressed to doing up to 60 at a time without any fatigue. I progressed them like pull ups. I would start strong and end strong. I definitely noticed better endurance overall. A little more explosive, but I dl and barbell squat also. I like them for their simplicity and you can do them pretty much anywhere.

I don't get the fascination with bodyweight training. Seems like you can achieve strength or strength endurance a lot more efficiently with barbell squats.

banco - I don't get the fascination with bodyweight training. Seems like you can achieve strength or strength endurance a lot more efficiently with barbell squats.

Some are really hard core "believers", others just like it for the added possibility to work out when gym isn't an option.

Personally I like the whole idea as a principle. Apart from looking fit, what use is strength training anyway? I can see some but not that many applications in everyday life that isn't about doing marvelous feats of strength bw style.

I don't need to have arm and back strength that is stronger than my grip so I don't do hand wraps anymore, etc.

My biggest beef with bw stuff is the limitations of it. I know there are a gazillion variations out there but for an old guy like myself I need equipment to pinpoint angles that avoid various injuries. I do dumbbells instead of barbells because I can avoid tiny variations in motions because of it. Pushups are like barbells in that respect according to my left elbow and my right shoulder. My right shoulder and my neck says handstand shoulder presses is too heavy. Etc, etc.

CDarwin - 
banco - I don't get the fascination with bodyweight training. Seems like you can achieve strength or strength endurance a lot more efficiently with barbell squats.

Some are really hard core "believers", others just like it for the added possibility to work out when gym isn't an option.

Personally I like the whole idea as a principle. Apart from looking fit, what use is strength training anyway? I can see some but not that many applications in everyday life that isn't about doing marvelous feats of strength bw style.

I don't need to have arm and back strength that is stronger than my grip so I don't do hand wraps anymore, etc.

My biggest beef with bw stuff is the limitations of it. I know there are a gazillion variations out there but for an old guy like myself I need equipment to pinpoint angles that avoid various injuries. I do dumbbells instead of barbells because I can avoid tiny variations in motions because of it. Pushups are like barbells in that respect according to my left elbow and my right shoulder. My right shoulder and my neck says handstand shoulder presses is too heavy. Etc, etc.

I'm a big believer that's it's important (or at least wise) to try to put on a reasonable amount of muscle mass by the time you are in your early 30's. Maintaining muscle mass into your 30's and 40's has a multitude of benefits. It's a lot easier to build muscle with weights.

Agree. And it works out for me, focusing on maintaing and getting back what I created as a young man... :) Phone Post

"I don't get the fascination with bodyweight training. Seems like you can achieve strength or strength endurance a lot more efficiently with barbell squats."

I don't think it's a fascination. Some people don't have/can't afford access to weight training equipment. Some people don't have/can't afford access to trainers if they are unsure about technique and not comfortable with the lift. Some people just plain enjoy working bodyweight variations more than barbell lifts. At the end of the day, the more efficient strength and endurance builder is what you enjoy doing and in turn what you'll do consistently over time.

I think it's easier to mark progress with weights. A 225 lbs barbell is a 225 lbs barbell. You can lift it a number of times or you can't. It's also easier to incrementally add to the level of difficulty by adding weight to said barbell. Not so with say a 15 second back lever. It can be very hard at determine progress in bodyweight exercise and thus can lead to a feel of stagnation when in reality you are getting stronger. The jumps are also bigger. A straddle back level to a half lay would be like going from 225 lbs to 285 lbs in one go, so it's harder to progress in as systematic a fashion as you do with weights.

However, I'd disagree with building muscle. While I'm not a HYOOGE guy by any measure, I'm not small or out of shape.

Here's a pic of me running a 4 mile obstacle race with a backpack full of bricks and carrying a 16kg KB (and I shotgunnned beers every mile): https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/301597_286654428011466_2038411575_n.jpg

(The whole album is open to public on my site's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.286653874678188.79566.167340703276173&type=3)

Going by the very unscientific mirror and scale test, I've put on a few lbs of lean mass in past couple months I've been focusing on gymnastics (mostly upperbody). Shit is no joke. :) This does make me think of possibly trying to do a 5-3-1 type of intensity wave with gymnastic static holds. I'll think about that!

IMO calisthenics (as compared to "bodyweight") is more fun than gym work. There are few things more boring to me than standing in a cage and doing squats. I'd so much rather do a one-legged squat at home weighted with shit around my house.

. Phone Post

ttt

Adventure Runner - "I don't get the fascination with bodyweight training. Seems like you can achieve strength or strength endurance a lot more efficiently with barbell squats."

I don't think it's a fascination. Some people don't have/can't afford access to weight training equipment. Some people don't have/can't afford access to trainers if they are unsure about technique and not comfortable with the lift. Some people just plain enjoy working bodyweight variations more than barbell lifts. At the end of the day, the more efficient strength and endurance builder is what you enjoy doing and in turn what you'll do consistently over time.

I think it's easier to mark progress with weights. A 225 lbs barbell is a 225 lbs barbell. You can lift it a number of times or you can't. It's also easier to incrementally add to the level of difficulty by adding weight to said barbell. Not so with say a 15 second back lever. It can be very hard at determine progress in bodyweight exercise and thus can lead to a feel of stagnation when in reality you are getting stronger. The jumps are also bigger. A straddle back level to a half lay would be like going from 225 lbs to 285 lbs in one go, so it's harder to progress in as systematic a fashion as you do with weights.

However, I'd disagree with building muscle. While I'm not a HYOOGE guy by any measure, I'm not small or out of shape.

Here's a pic of me running a 4 mile obstacle race with a backpack full of bricks and carrying a 16kg KB (and I shotgunnned beers every mile): https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/301597_286654428011466_2038411575_n.jpg

(The whole album is open to public on my site's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.286653874678188.79566.167340703276173&type=3)

Going by the very unscientific mirror and scale test, I've put on a few lbs of lean mass in past couple months I've been focusing on gymnastics (mostly upperbody). Shit is no joke. :) This does make me think of possibly trying to do a 5-3-1 type of intensity wave with gymnastic static holds. I'll think about that!

I do think there's a fascination with bodyweight stuff in mma and boxing circles. It's broadly accepted with say football that if you want to get strong you lift weights. Similarly you don't see track and field athletes screwing around with pushup variations or doing one legged squats.

CDarwin - My biggest beef with bw stuff is the limitations of it. I know there are a gazillion variations out there but for an old guy like myself I need equipment to pinpoint angles that avoid various injuries. I do dumbbells instead of barbells because I can avoid tiny variations in motions because of it. Pushups are like barbells in that respect according to my left elbow and my right shoulder. My right shoulder and my neck says handstand shoulder presses is too heavy. Etc, etc.

I have never seen this put so succinctly.

Adventure Runner - "I don't get the fascination with bodyweight training. Seems like you can achieve strength or strength endurance a lot more efficiently with barbell squats."

Yup. What is the best gym in the world? The one you actually go to. The best workout? The one you actually do consistently.

"I do think there's a fascination with bodyweight stuff in mma and boxing circles. It's broadly accepted with say football that if you want to get strong you lift weights. Similarly you don't see track and field athletes screwing around with pushup variations or doing one legged squats."

weight classes?

banco - 

I do think there's a fascination with bodyweight stuff in mma and boxing circles. It's broadly accepted with say football that if you want to get strong you lift weights. Similarly you don't see track and field athletes screwing around with pushup variations or doing one legged squats.

I've never met an athlete who hasn't done press ups, and just recently i read an article by a long jumper who said single leg squats were the best exercises for anyone who ran or jumped.

Personally i find the need to trash BW exercises among some weight trainers to be the thing i understand least.