Bolo Kimono Paradox?

bolo you have said that your system works the same gi and no gi. but does it work the same against a nude, 300 lb POWERLIFTER coated in mineral oil?

fifty bucks says i just killed this thread

Why do you think Bolo doesn't teach to the public anymore? It's because in all the privates, that's all we do. Rub mineral oil on each other, drink jello shots and then let the "jiu-jitsu" flow on from there......Now pay the 50 dollars!!!

Here is a question or more of a point regarding gi and no-gi.
Generally when people think no-gi (I know I am making a generalization) is seems they think barely clothed, like shorts (or speedos) and nothing else.

But I don't think this is reality. I recently notice after observing myself and my classmates in no-gi classes and competitions, and no-gi competitions, that when we spar or compete in no-gi we are wearing alot more clothing then we probably realize.

When I competed in the Grapplers Quest in November of last year in Vegas I wore a long sleeve shirt and some shorts. Most of competitors I observed wore similar clothing. I saw very few people who barely clothed. Alot of people wore long sleeve under armour rash guards.

Even when I spar and train no-gi I am wearing much more clothing then competitive free-style and greco roman wrestlers (I am exposing far less skin then there are).

I realized most people who do no-gi are far more clothe than pro boxers and kickboxers as well as amateur wrestlers.

So in reality, in terms of pure clothing, there is "that" much of a difference between gi and no gi. I mean, nowadays no-gi seems to be alittle less clothe the with the gi.

There really shouldn't be that big of a deal when you think about it.

What??? There's still a huge difference. Collar chokes, grips when passing, sleeve control, spider guard, tail chokes, stand up is different, hand tie ups with the gi.... There's still not a close enough gap to say the two aren't as far as people make them to be. That's why I say we redesign the Kimono for grappling.

Yes there is a major difference because in one the clothing is actually utilized for grips and submissions and in the other it isn't.  A tight fitting rash guard is functionally not much different from a shirtless person and a pair of shorts doesn't allow for gripping from the knee down which makes a huge difference in any number of moves (I never grip shorts either though). 

m.g = One of those people who keeps ripping your tshirt in training.

Actually there isn't.

There is obviously some but not "that" much. It really depends on how much clothing you're wearing. Like I said these days most people I know who spar no-gi wear enough clothing that they are not slipping and sliding all over the place.

It is easier to grip someone who has a shirt on then some one who doesn't. Even if you're not grasping the shirt like a gi the shirt itself provides enough "fiction" to maintain your grip, more so than skin to skin.

Shirts long or short, pants, long shorts, or any other "clothing" also asborb sweat. So it that also makes it easier to maintain your grip.

I spar alot and I split my time pretty much evenly between the two. I do it (spar with and without the gi)so much that I honestly don't even consicously think that I am sparing in either. It is only afterwards that I remember I was sparring gi or no gi. What I mean is I just don't "consciously" think oh I'm sparring no-gi I need to do this that and the other or I'm sparring with a gi I have to do this and need to watch out for that. When you switch or alternate between the two alot and when you spar either so often you simply become accustom to them and "naturally" make any adjustments whenever you do either.

It has become just sparring to me now.

The days of sparring no-gi butt naked (or damn near) are over.

"The days of sparring no-gi butt naked (or damn near) are over"

not in my house...

Why does Nina insist on writing things I can never unread...

MG- What do you do? Go into some meditative higher level of consciousness when you grapple. How do you not tell until after your done rolling whether your in a gi or not? I call BULL. The game changes but not in a huge way but it's still enough to change a lot of strategy. It is a quicker game without the gi and at no time am I rolling that I am unconscious of what I am wearing. I just don't stop rolling and all of a sudden think, "oh crap I'm naked.. again!"

Sayonaisse,

Dude, you're making it more complicated then it really is.

First off I am not saying there isn't any difference there is BUT the difference doesn't become that big of a deal IF you "constantly" do both.

Now, some days, like today, I spar with the gi. Other days like wednesday and friday I'll spar without the gi. On saturdays, if I get a chance to train that day, I'll most likely spar with the gi. Sometimes I'll do both in one sparring session.

I'll switch back and forth like this most of the time. The only time where I'll exclusively train and spar in one is when there is an upcoming tournament.

Anyway, IF you "constantly" spar in both situations you get to the point where you really don't "consciously" think about what to do you simply naturally react to the situation. You just "know" INTUITIVELY that in this situation you need to do this or that and in the other situation you need to do what is appropriate for that situation.

To me Bjj is like basketball in that you have different type of games that fit different situation. You learn to "play" an inside game and an outside game. You don't consciously think "I need to do this when I am on the inside and I need to do that when I'm on the outside". You should already know what to do for each situation and you should be able to do when it comes time to do it. We should all know that "THINKING" in the mist of action is a bad thing to do. It will throw off everything, your reaction, timing, moving etc. You're not suppose to THINK when you spar you're suppose to react or create a reaction.
If you "THINK" I need to do this or that...well...then it is to late because you oppontunity to do whatever has past.

Anyway this is nothing more than teaching and training yourself to "react" and "respond" in different enviroments and situations. I try to minimize the amount of thinking in the mist of action as much as possible.

does anyone actually read m.g's posts?

"does anyone actually read m.g's posts?"

LOL. Everytime I see his name on this thread I skip to the next post.

Well...evidently someone does or else "someone" wouldn't "respond" or "react" to what I say.

-Ignored-

One of the very few things Bolo and I disagree about...

Whats your take andre?

An interesting viewpoint was Luis's opinion from SBG.

He said the gi tends to be where a lot of innovations comes from, which are then modified to no gi.

An example of this is nog's anaconda choke which is a variation of a gi choke. I doubt anyone would have come up with that move without doing or at least seeing the gi variation.

Jason,

Ive known too many no gi grapplers who had never trained in the gi and only a couple of them are even remotely as good as their gi trained counterparts. I can't explain why that is, though I suspect that it is similar to boxing with weighted gloves and then removing them as the fight gets close. I think it makes you move better and understand leverage better, but I cant prove it beyond my personal experience having come from a no gi background before getting into the gi.