BOOK: Catch as Catch Can

TheClips - This caption needs to go on the cover:

Guy getting choked: "I SAY, Mortimer!! Release me from this bothersome neckhold at once! This is NOT conduct becoming of a proper gentleman!"

Mortimer: "Confound it, William! I'm privy to the ways of combat and I intend to show such! Now, good day!! (squeezes harder)"

LOL funny this is I bet not one of us said it once and didn't repeat again and again getting the voice right! lol

Funny stuff by theClips.

can someone please explain to me the meaning behind the name "catch as catch can"?

Guy getting choked: "I SAY, Mortimer!! Release me from this bothersome neckhold at once! This is NOT conduct becoming of a proper gentleman!"

Mortimer: "Confound it, William! I'm privy to the ways of combat and I intend to show such! Now, good day!! (squeezes harder)"

LMFAO!!

TheClips - This caption needs to go on the cover:

LMAO! UG quote of the year!

"can someone please explain to me the meaning behind the name "catch as catch can"?"

I believe the US version of 'Catch Wrestling', was mostly influenced by the Lancashire (an English county) style of folk wrestling.

Obviously the aim is to try and 'catch' your opponent in a hold hence the phrase "catch'us, Catch can", which in the dialect of the area (and if said with the correct accent) mean 'catch me if you can'.

I think as the style moved across the Atlantic, Lancashire Wrestling basically became known by this phrase, which became 'catch-as-catch can' and eventually just 'catch' as Lancashire dialect was lost in translation.

Somebody please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

For anybody interested in a free Catch book, the Farmer Burns book (the one Matt Furey made so much $$ selling) is on the sandowplus site for free.

Wiggy - workout plans

lol

Nice.

TTT for Mortimer

I keep forgetting this is MasterpiecetheatreMartialArts.com

sirjoshua - 

LOL funny this is I bet not one of us said it once and didn't repeat again and again getting the voice right! lol

Ha ha, I have to admit I make the voices in my head every time I read it! lol

Is there a museum in Iowa that honors wrestling pioneers like Martin "Farmer" Burns and Frank Gotch?

TTT for Mortimer