Boring Fighter is not a Character Flaw

livelaughlove - 

that's fine. just don't be upset when people don't want to watch you.

That’s fine but like someone else said, I think more people are salty cuz Jorge is the fighter of the moment right now and Usman derailed the BMF. Also, I thought Usman wrecking Woodley was pretty exciting and of course he banged it out with Colby and finished him. He also beat up RDA pretty bad.

wiggum - 
dangerboy12 - Sometimes we have to just accept things, and deal with them.

Usman isn’t a power striker. He’s not going to KO people. If he fights a guy who can KO people, he would be an absolute idiot to not try to clinch them or take them down.

It’s like a guy with a shotgun trying to stay at range from a guy with a rifle.

It’s like expecting Cam Newton to sit back in the pocket and read defenses every play rather than to take off and run when he gets the opportunity.

Great post.

That’s just the thing. This is the UG. These are UFC fans were are talking about. Good luck having them accept reason.

Ministry of Truth - 
D241 - 
Ministry of Truth - I also think this isn't really about Usman. Masvidal is a legit big star now, so Usman probably could have won in any way other than KO and fans would likely be attacking him.

Strongly disagree.  I watch fights for clarity on who the better man is, not who can establish momentum and hold the other one down until time runs out. 

If I have the choice between Jorge winning a boring decision, or Usman winning via finish, I would go with Usman via finish all day every day.  

You’re obviously not a typical or average fan, so I wouldn’t expect you to agree.

I have noticed when stars lose there are always sour grapes, and when they lose via one-sided decision, the grapes seem to be even more sour.

First post is on the button. Just like people are upset with the Volk decision largely cuz they don’t understand how the 10 point must system works and they are swayed by the fact that Max had the most convincing rounds.

But yeah, the BMF is of course gonna have a lotta casual fans now so we know whats gonna come with that. Ironically, even Jorge has commented that he hopes younger fighters don’t have to force themselves to trash talk to sell themselves and Kamaru even commented that Jorge likely didn’t want to end up as the Connor type guy that everyone knows for the trash talk. Being that guy and losing will def lead to salty casuals of course.

wiggum - 
Ministry of Truth - I think if you are risk averse, you are likely to fight carefully (AKA boring).

Honestly, I don’t think so. And I have trouble reflecting on my years at high level gyms and finding a correlation.

These people went into prize fighting. They aren’t risk averse. They simply use the tools they have.

You’re way off if you think fighters can’t be risk averse. I’m sure plenty of them would even admit that’s their inclination.

I also think if you are risk averse, you are more likely not going to deviate from what you are comfortable with, like for example, the tools you are most comfortable using.

I wonder who would win if Usman/Masvidal had no time limit… Would this cause Usman or Jorge to go for the kill sooner or would they try to pace the elves even more?

It’s a needle mover flaw

Wasa-B - 
D241 - 

Don't hate the player, hate the game. 

Usman wins within the rules allowed.  He can establish a small amount of momentum via being on the dominant side of a clinch or top position on the ground, and stall the fight to win a decision. 

I completely understand, as well as side with the majority of fans who are not happy with what they saw. 

But enough bitching, how about some solution offering?

Allow head butts.  That would be a useful tool for Usman's limited game.  Limited for a champion, he's a fucking monster but to me, he still can improve much more, I don't think he's limited to what we saw against Jorge. 

Encouragement for referee's to say "Action!!!" more often.  Have realistic expectations, and be consistent with them.  There will be moments of "lul" in a fight, but there simply was far too much of that in Usman/Jorge. 

Promoters, it hurts your product.  To rid this, encourage referees to get fighters to be more active, and don't be afraid to get a rule you originally had(headutts allowed), back in play.  It was the mid 90's and cage fighting was taboo.  Now it's "mma" and on regular cable networks.  

Barboza wheelkick ko

Hendos H-bomb

Rampage's slam on Arona

Those are okay, but headbutts are too violent?  Lets be pro-active and make this more realistic fighting, not watered down.

Clinching a dangerous striker is not just stalling though. Its wearing out their arms to take out their zip in their strikes. Its universal strategy 101. And if the striker allows himself to put in that situation over and over, too bad for him. When you say solutions, there are plenty of solutions already available…like footwork, like circling, like striking more from the outside and not throwing overhand lunging punches that put you in clinch position for the opponent.

Also, the 5 minute rounds already favour strikers.

Also, Usman gave Jorge plenty of time to bang and he took everything Jorge had to offer and countered.

I'd prefer 15 straight minutes of fighting or 25.  I don't like round breaks. 

Wasa-B - 
Ministry of Truth - 
D241 - 
Ministry of Truth - I also think this isn't really about Usman. Masvidal is a legit big star now, so Usman probably could have won in any way other than KO and fans would likely be attacking him.

Strongly disagree.  I watch fights for clarity on who the better man is, not who can establish momentum and hold the other one down until time runs out. 

If I have the choice between Jorge winning a boring decision, or Usman winning via finish, I would go with Usman via finish all day every day.  

You’re obviously not a typical or average fan, so I wouldn’t expect you to agree.

I have noticed when stars lose there are always sour grapes, and when they lose via one-sided decision, the grapes seem to be even more sour.

First post is on the button. Just like people are upset with the Volk decision largely cuz they don’t understand how the 10 point must system works and they are swayed by the fact that Max had the most convincing rounds.

But yeah, the BMF is of course gonna have a lotta casual fans now so we know whats gonna come with that. Ironically, even Jorge has commented that he hopes younger fighters don’t have to force themselves to trash talk to sell themselves and Kamaru even commented that Jorge likely didn’t want to end up as the Connor type guy that everyone knows for the trash talk. Being that guy and losing will def lead to salty casuals of course.

I understand how the rule system works.  I just don't agree with it.  A system where an opponent can establish a small amount of momentum, and then stall or delay the fight until time runs out, is a flawed system.